cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it really Rare? Is it really worth that price?

You have to ask yourself when you are going through eBay listings and that one little one that catches your eye is the $75,000 "RARE" 1991 FLEER "INSERT PLAYERS NAME HERE" card ... you know the one right? From the Junk Wax Era .. where everything was so over produced that you can still to this day buy full cases of at least 9 out of 10 products out there .. you know the card that has the lines missing A PERIOD or a circle or a smudge or an I before E except after C making it so rare that there are another 5000 additional listings with some incarnation of these errors out there for this rare card for about $3.00 .. STOP THE MADNESS PEOPLE ... Stop making the hobby look bad by thinking whatever you price something at is what you're gonna get for it ... sorry, had to vent ... no need to reply ... unless you want to share stories of something similar you've seen.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Not about cards, but one seller thought that the price should increase greatly on an item that was the "last one that he had".

Not all that uncommon of an item, but the rational for the price increase up, up from the ones that he had already sold, was that because it was "his" last one.................  it was worth way more🙄

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Everything in the entire world is worth the exact same amount of money - what you can get somebody else to pay for it.  No more, no less.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@unclebookiesportscardsandcollectibles,

Like buyselljack's reply, mine is not specifically about sports cards but collectibles in general.   The only edit I would make to his reply would be To change it from "the last one he had" to "His being the last one available on earth".  

There are sellers who have an item and use auction or realized price apps to look up sold prices for them, without checking any further than the highest price another seller got for the item. Maybe at some point a buyer desperate to fill a hole in their collection, with more money than common sense did pay a huge amount for a card or other item.  I once came within seconds of doing that once for a very rare lobby card to complete a set.  Fortunately, common sense and market acuity prevented me from doing that. IMO the winner did pay way more than the card was worth.  Sure enough within a few months a few more, and one in the same mint condition was listed as an auction, and I won it at a fair market value.

Those sellers may not check further than the price, to see what the item's condition or completeness was, or take into account auction house fees. Some may not be looking to see when the item sold, that brought it such a high price.

The best example of that would be the Ty Beanie Baby Princess Di Commemorative doll.  20 Years ago they sold for hundreds and even thousands of dollars.  Now they are worth around $10 on average. 

However, about once a year some joker lists one for Thousands on ebay or another site, and it supposedly gets sold, most likely to a confederate of the jokester seller.  Still shortly after that sale makes it into auction or item price search apps, people start listing theirs for very high prices, and they stay listed for months. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Almost as rare as the $250,000 taco bell sauce packet.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

They are charging for them now, They will no longer have them sitting out in a condiment station, I used to grab a fistful of the sauces when the kids wanted taco bell, the sauce was the best part I guess .. so $250k might be a good deal..lol

Message 6 of 6
latest reply