cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly overwhelmed re shipping estimates

Hello,

I just joined this group.  Actually, I just stumbled upon this whole groups thing and kind of feel like I just stepped into another whole "ebay world" lol!

In any case, I am a fairly new seller, and a low volume one.  And I am not the most computer literate person, never mind Ebay literate.  So, having said that....Im hoping someone can help me figure out a recent problem with my listings.  Ive been using the shipping calculator which has worked just fine for me.  I put in the weight and measurements of the package, I choose my carrier/service and it calculates a range from low to high estimated costs.  Once I hit "list it", there is an estimated shipping cost that the buyer sees and its usually on the LOW end of this range.  However, for the past few days, Ive noticed that, although MY view of the shipping calculator and range has not changed, the BUYERS VIEW shipping estimate is astronomical!  I just listed a 4lb cookie jar that would normally give the prospective buyer an estimated cost of  7ot 8 bucks, that now has an estimated cost of $28.00!!!  Ive shipped WHOLE DINNERWARE SETS FOR LESS MONEY!!!

I am so confused and not sure why this is happening or how to fix it.  PLEASE HELP ME??  I thank you kindly in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Utterly overwhelmed re shipping estimates

Don't you ship from Massachusetts?  If so, you first have to check to see what it would cost you to ship that item to the farthest postal zone from you which is on the west coast.  If you discover that it would cost $15 for you to ship it Los Angeles, you have to factor that potential $15 into your total asking price.  Whether you set the flat rate at $15 or set it at $10 then increase the item price by an additional $5.  Be sure you are covered just in case your buyer lives in California.  Always look at the worst case scenario when trying to decide flat rate shipping.  

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I only use Free Shipping on my (Canadian) postage lots, but the first thing to remember is that the cost of shipping is to be included in the asking price.

The second thing is that it works best if there is a Flat Rate that works cross-country. In other words, on items that ship Letter Rate.

The third thing is that with domestic Free Shipping you will not pay shipping FVFs on any shipping, even if you are shipping Air Mail International Priority Insured up the Ying Yang Gold Plated Special.

Your buyer has to ask herself which is cheapest.

$10 item with $15 shipping.

$15 item with $10 shipping.

$25 item with Free Shipping.

Some will like the low price and overlook the 'higher' shipping. Many will prefer the Free Shipping at exactly the same total cost. But you are lowering your fees when you go with the Free Shipping option.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I was reading through these posts and though I'd throw in my 2 cents. Offering free shipping is a bit risky and is really playing into the eBay Kool Aid. They make their money regardless. Always make sure you make a profit. Don't buy into their recommended pricing always price at what you feel your item is worth. The drop in sales is normal for this time of year, it will get better when the kids are back in school.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Yes Free Shipping has lots to recommend it, even KoolAid is good on a hot day, but sellers must be cautious with it.

Don't use it when the cost of shipping will vary widely, unless you really understand your demographic. A Florida seller with a lot of Alaskan customers wouldn't want to use Free Shipping if parcel rates are the only reasonable choice for shipping for example.

Do use it when the item will ship for Letter rate, which I believe is the same anywhere in the USA. Even if the odd shipment costs you a bit more to send to Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawai'i, the increased sales elsewhere, and the lower shipping FVF should make up for it.

If you decide to play with Free Shipping, it is worth making a spreadsheet and recording your actual shipping costs (including fees) and your actual shipping charges (which you included in your asking price). Include a column for the shipping FVF you do NOT pay.

If the costs are the same as or less than your charges, stick with Free Shipping.

But do the math over a month or two. It is very easy to panic when you lose a few dollars or even $10-15 on shipping one item, without realizing that you made up for that loss with increased sales and decreased fees.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Everyones comments on free shipping are spot on, I didnt mean to suggest you do it haphazardly. It definately takes some figuring out initially to make sure you dont end up eating it later on. After ebay fees etc every dollar of profit counts.

The main reason I do free shipping is purely personal taste. I hate when I buy an item and didnt realize how much shipping was. Its not that I dont look, but sometimes it doesnt sink in.

Im curious though, has anyone seen better sales with free shipping over not using it? Id love to hear others actual experiences!
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi!  Yes, I do, Im just outside of Boston and actually, I just opened a shop on Etsy, for my "crafty side" and thats how they do it.  Etsy makes you state a cost, no ranges, you have to list the exact cost, when you list the item, which was so friggin frustrating for me!!  Im thinking how the hell do I know what to charge for shipping if I have no clue who is going to buy it??  So someone in the forums there advised me to do the furthest destination from me, like you suggested, and she told me to just use 90210 for the zip LOL, apparently everyone uses that one.  The thing is, I hate doing that because, if my buyer is indeed from california then IM covered, but if my buyer is from Vermont well...they get screwed dont they?  And when you calculate shipping from east to west coast, the amounts are super high, which Im fearful will drive people away.  I dont know, Im not a very business minded person, Im a nurse and Im a crafter LOL, I HATE business stuff but Im trying to learn, it just makes my brain hurt!  But I am so grateful to EVERYONE who's commented here, Ive read all of the replies I just don't always have the time to respond to each one but its wonderful to see so much communication, I feel very fortunate to have found you guys :))

Message 21 of 21
latest reply