cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swiss returned to sender

So I believe I know that Pensionnat du Père Girard is a Catholic boarding school and that this letter made the rounds, it looks like to three different locales before being returned to the sender. Can anyone explain the markings and sequence for me?

1917-10-18 Returned to Sender.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Swiss returned to sender

Hi Bill,

Let's try this:

Fribourg 18 October 1917 to a member of the French Army in Briançon, Haut Alpes, France. Forwarded to Grenoble, which is crossed out in red ink and red ink on right side "inconnu" [unknown] - Retour a l'envoyeur [return to sender]

le destinataire n'a pu etre attein - "the recipient could not be reached"

There is probably additional information on the back such as receiving date stamps for its return to Switzerland and possibly transit date stamps for France. Since it's military within France maybe it stayed within the military postal system.

25 centimes international UPU letter.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Other side is blank, which surprised me a little. What about the pencil markings?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Difficult to read.

The red ink was typical for forwarding, blue and purple crayon [pencil] standard PO uses for lining out without obliterating writing. I only see "86" and a weird mark, and light pencil towards upper right. Can't tell what that is, but could be made on return to Convent. "86" could be room number at convent.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply