cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling US administration of Cuba stamps is blocked?

I went to list some nice 1899 US Administration of Cuba overprints, and the eBay AI bot thing red flagged ma and noticed that items from Cuba are embargoed.  That said, Under Us Stamps as a Category, there is a Subgroup for Possessions and under that is a drop down that let's you select Cuba.  And there is no prohibition about selling items made in the USA, as these US stamps were and overprinted for use in Cuba 124 years ago.

Does anyone have the similar problem and is there a way around the bot or to appeal the ruling?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I have had the same problem,  a work around was using West Antilles as a heading.  I also have a similar problem with Persia (Iran]

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

With Iran, I use the heading of "OldPersia"...it works...with Cuba, I use the heading  of "LargestCarribeanIsland" and it works...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@lotsastamps wrote:

With Iran, I use the heading of "OldPersia"...it works...with Cuba, I use the heading  of "LargestCarribeanIsland" and it works...

Becareful. Some goon reported on Oman 5 Rials as an "Iran" item, it got removed and I got a violation.

I called them to tell them "Oman is not the same country" and they said because it's kinda like Iran, the violation sticks. Telling eBay "you made a mistake on this warning" did nothing to help me get the violation removed.

If someone reports you, you will get a violation, because people at eBay don't realize that Old Persia (which is not the current country of Iran) and Iran, are not the same government administration. Plus Old Persia is pre-embargo. But eBay doesn't care about any of this.

So I'm super careful, and I did not relist my Oman 5 Rials because the guy on the banknote looks like the Shah, so "it's kinda the same thing" as they put it.

C.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the advice...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@gr-stamps3 

Instead of using the word "Cuba" in your listing, use the words "Spanish-American War 1899 Stamp."

There have been several listings sold recently (December 3, 2023) under the "Collectibles & Art" section (under "Postal History") which have sold, using the listing words "USA Cuba" and "Spanish American War."

Try some of those!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

DON'T SAY INDIANS OR IVORY AND FOR  GOD SAKE DONT SAY A  QUEER STAMP.

xbolts_1-1706440116740.png

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

It appears E BAY HAS A DOUBLE STANDARD.  I Had A FEW Cuba listings and they removed them

yet there are other Cuba stamps still being sold on E BAY.........

Also stamps and coins from Cuba are not part of the embargo. It appears E BAY USED A BLANKET POLICY

ON ALL Cuba goods..........at least when they want to.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@fmc-9255 wrote:

It appears E BAY HAS A DOUBLE STANDARD.  I Had A FEW Cuba listings and they removed them

yet there are other Cuba stamps still being sold on E BAY.........

Also stamps and coins from Cuba are not part of the embargo. It appears E BAY USED A BLANKET POLICY

ON ALL Cuba goods..........at least when they want to.

It's like that with old Persia coins and stamps, but if you say Persia eBay won't let you list it (or remove it if they catch you).

I had a banknote from Oman that was removed because of the Iran embargo. I spoke to an eBay CSR to tell them Oman is a different country and has nothing to do with Iran. They said "it's kind of like Iran, so we need to take precautions and remove it" then they told me I wasn't allowed to list anything from Oman. It was quite an adventure to get the policy violation on my account removed on eBay for FB.

C.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, eBay decided many years ago to just block everything that matches the word "Cuba" or "Iran" or "North Korea", etc.. It's easy to automate that, so that's what they decided to do in order to remove any chance they will get dinged for allowing the selling of proscribed items. Unfortunately it means the valid items are also blocked.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply