cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all new 100% upgraded Park Cooking Thread

Since the soapbox is coming to an end soon, my friends on our cooking thread that sin started asked that I start a new one over here. So here I am!

Everyone feel free to join in and post your favorite recipes or questions or even stuff in daily life!

I'll start with a recipe I made up when I had round steak thawed out but I didn't want the hassle of making chicken fried steak.

I cut the round steak in 4 manageable pieces. Placed in a 9 X 13 baking pan and sprinkled a package of au jus gravy mix over top, then I put 4 table spoons of butter, one on each piece. I baked it in the oven, preheated to 350°, for about 45 mins. Turned out very well, but the Plumber (my husband) said I needed to cook it at a lower temp for a bit longer, so if I do this again, I'll go 325 and an hour or an hour and 15 mins. I served with mashed potatoes and gravy I made with the pan drippings and green beans. 

Mom came over last nite with pork steaks so the Plumber grilled them up and brushed them with Blues Hog BBQ Sauce. She made her (gross) creamed (she means snot) peas and potatoes. The Plumber loved them, I still they look like peas in snot! I made broccoli cheddar rice to have instead of the peas and snot!

I hope to see everyone here soon! 🙂

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 1 of 746
latest reply
745 REPLIES 745

Well, maybe his will count.  Son "cooked" - The huge bucket of Wendy's Chile and their baked potatoes. 😁

Message 2 of 746
latest reply

@fredi*frogi 

Hi Fredi and welcome to the Park!  Your new Park Cooking Thread looks great!  I hope all the regulars make their way here because you did a fine job!  And started out with a recipe too.   Beef, mashed taters & gravy with green beans sounds pretty good to me!   I think I have a packet of au jus gravy mix in my cabinet, so may have to give this a whirl.  Anything with a flavor of pot roast is good with me😍

For those who would like to pin this thread to the top of page, just click on 'options' in the upper right-hand corner and then choose 'float this topic for current user'.   It will not pin the thread to the top for everyone, just for your own personal ease. 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 3 of 746
latest reply

Tiny, I do like Wendy's chilli!  It almost tastes like they add a bit Hormel Chilli to their home-made recipe.  I don't imagine too many folks are crazy about canned Hormel Chilli, but something about that flavor I just love 🤔

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 4 of 746
latest reply

Hello everyone!

It's been rainy here the last few days, and I'm really in the mood to cook outside again.

When it dries out, we're gonna do a wood fire and cook up a bunch of stuff.  The taste of bbq'd meat over real coals is fantastic!  So whenever we cook out chicken thighs or whatever, we'll also cook half a dozen hamburgers and a couple packs of hotdogs too.

Those will go into the freezer for quick microwave lunches, and they still retain that cooked-out taste.

Hope everyone is doing well, and thanks Fredi for starting this wonderful thread!

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 746
latest reply

Today was a rainy and breezy day; a good day to be indoors.  Also a good day for making Jamaican Bobsled Rice.   A recipe that was printed in our local newspaper during the winter olympics.  It is a soup made with black beans & cubed sweet taters.  Other ingredients are chopped onion, green or red pepper, small piece of jalapeno, garlic, chicken broth, allspice and thyme.   Very short cooking time and when done add 2 TBsp lime juice.  Salt & pepper to taste.   Serve with rice.   Anyone who is a meat & potatoes kinda person, may not find this 'filling'.   I have added sausage like Hillshire smoked beef.    Anyone interested, I will post the recipe & how to prepare.  

Message 6 of 746
latest reply

Neat thread, Fredi. I'm not much of a cook. I just throw stuff together.

Message 7 of 746
latest reply

Cathy, then you fit in perfectly! 🙂 HAHA

Thanks everyone, I'm glad we're not losing the cooking thread!

I did beef (Deer) and noodles Saturday nite and despite my momma telling me I can make my own one egg noodles, I store bought those suckers, lol. I know it would have only been one egg and flour, but the amount of flour I'd have to clean off me, the counter, the floor and the dog makes buying them soooo much easier!

I took the left over pork steaks that were grilled Thursday nite and poured more blues hog bbq sauce on them and baked them for about 30 mins. That was way too long, lol, should have checked them at 15. Oh well, I'll know better for next time! I think we'll have the deer and noodles again tonite, but that depends on what the Plumber wants to do!

Tiny, I have a friend would could eat gallons and gallons of wendy's chili! She loves it! I don't actually like chili, but I cook it all the time, so I can drop hot dogs in it. Hot dogs cooked in chili are amazing!

Lynn, I love grilled stuff, we have a gas grill and a wood pellet grill and everything (except my steaks) are better on the pellet grill. My steaks, mostly ribeyes, need to be cooked to rare, which is 2 mins a side at 500°, the pellet grill doesn't get that hot, which is why we also have a gas grill! I love a hamburger grilled, cold, for breakfast the next day! The best burgers I ever had were half deer burger and half pork burger cooked on a wood fire, they were to die for!

Thanks shirls for letting me know (and everyone else) know how to 'float' this thread to the top!

I'm thinking about making a big pot of chili next weekend, unless the Plumber has other ideas (also weather dependent, lol). It's soup/stew season and I'm excited about that!

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 8 of 746
latest reply

We did have the leftovers last nite. Since we're just two people and I can't cook for just two people we have leftovers as often as I can get away with it haha I'll admit it is easier!

Not at all sure about tonite, we usually order burritos or tacos from the local bar. I'll have to see what the Plumber wants to do. I do have spaghetti on the menu for tomorrow nite, but that could be moved up to tonite, if needed (but then I'd need to figure out tomorrow nite again! HAHA) 

Message 9 of 746
latest reply

Sounds like our house!  Just the two of us so there will be leftovers and yes it makes it a whole heck of a lot easier.   Remember, I had made the Jamaican Bobsled Rice (soup and rice).   The next evening we went to Sonic and had to have our burgers.  I usually get tater tots; DH onion rings.  We always take Rootie the Beagle/Basset so she gets one of the burger patties mixed in her chow.   It's a family thing.  Usually talk over the day events, or the week events, whatever comes to mind.  Last night we ate the rest of the soup, rice, and fixed a ham slice to go with that.  So, for tonight had ham leftover and decided macaroni and cheese would pair up with the ham.  I wanted to cook baby lima beans, but didn't have any of those, so steamed asparagus instead.  For desert we had Greek Baklavas; walnut & almond.  These things are so delicious!  Phyllo pastry that is a bit crisp, swimming with honey & cinnamon.   Oh geeminy!    Now, tomorrow have to figure something out again. 

Message 10 of 746
latest reply

Oh my gosh,, I never knew there was a cooking thread!  I have hundreds of cookbooks. Close to a thousand. 

I started cooking when  mom left us when I was twelve. Had no choice.  My dad bought me a brand new  1962 Betty Crocker cookbook and I wore that book out! Then in 1966  I discovered Southern Living magazine when I visited my grandparents. It came as an insert in their Progressive Farmers.  Does anyone remember the days when Southern Living magazine was an inch thick? I still cook on the frying pan my mom didn't  take when she left.

Message 11 of 746
latest reply

Eat your little US hearts out - I am 15 minutes from the Pacific Ocean - this is a couple of nights ago.

Fresh - fresh.........................................

20221103_183136.jpg

And I haven't cooked since 1990. lol

( and don't intend to ).

Message 12 of 746
latest reply

Dom, you still haven't cooked!?!?!?! lmao. I'm totally jealous, I LOVE fresh shrimp. The closest I ever got to it was a friend of Clark's hauled fresh seafood from down south up to us and we got several pounds of fresh (uncooked) shrimp. I can tell you that after we ate that I'd rather have my shrimp peel and eat ready lol, after peeling and deveining all that shrimp I was done! HAHA

Fab, this thread is transplanted from the soapbox! Please share whatever you feel like sharing, we welcome you!

Shirls, leftovers make my life easier! HAHA 

The Plumber had a bar burrito and I had bar tacos last nite.

I was going to make spaghetti tonite, but my mom is off work tomorrow and I doubt we'll go uptown the drawing is only at $200 right now, so I'll see if mom wants to come over for the Plumber's (in)famous meatballs! But that leaves me with no idea about tonite! HAHA

Message 13 of 746
latest reply

Cross my heart - I do offer though - to cook - some have been known to cry. lol

Joking.

I would rather get down & dirty in the garden than cook.

Message 14 of 746
latest reply

Fab, whoa, that's a lot of cookbooks!  I have quite a few now but that was because almost every time went to the flea market, had to buy a cookbook.   Thing of it is, there are only a few recipes from each one that I use.   I have a few of my mother's cooking utensils.  The one I use the most is her iron skillet. 

Dom, I don't feel so bad now about only having 3 spears of asparagus left to use (per plate) for tonight! 🤣  Hmmm maybe have to have surf and turf night one of these days. 

Fredi, you gave me an idea for what to fix tonight...spaghetti.   Then looked in the cabinet and didn't have any jar sauce.  No fresh tomatoes either.  So combined 2 different recipes to make the sauce.  Always fun to experiment but took forever to make that sauce!  Spaghetti may be good, but there are always a mess of dishes & pans & utensils to clean up.  I like to clean up as I go, but this dang recipe has you doing something every so many minutes, so had to wait until the end and had a pile.   I notice that now since I am older, I make a horrible mess when I cook.  Spill, splash, drop, etc stuff everywhere and better be wearing my glasses for clean-up or I miss things. 

Message 15 of 746
latest reply