cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian silver expert needed for help identifying silver spoons

Hi I'm looking for any help identifying the marks on the back of a pair of these silver spoons. I believe they are Russian as part is written in Cyrillic but I can't find the marks in any of my data bases. In the photo you can see the Cyrillic "Tse", an O and a 76. What was hard to photograph but is there is an MK1 in a rectangle and the letter y on one spoon and a backwards letter L on the other. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The 'ts' is short for 'tsena', meaning 'price', which in this case appears to have been 76 kopeks (100 kopeks =  1 ruble).

The USSR had one of the most controlled and stringent laws on silver, so that without the proper marks, this is totally unlikely to be solid silver.  The metal is most probably melchior, a copper-nickel-zinc alloy, much like our nickel-silver (which, of course, has not a molecule of silver in it).

Hope this helps a bit.  MK!1 rings a bell, but It's a fuzzy bell, lol!

Lea
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you very much. I thought I was going crazy because I couldn't find the correct information anywhere.  Clearly my Russian silver knowledge is severly lacking. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply