cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking At A Silver Object--Is it "Sterling" (?) -- Where, Who Made It and When ?

Hi,

I'm looking at a "silver" object that is kind of worn, but I my be able to use it as an aid or tool (I have arthritis).

PICTURE 1.

I tried looking up English hallmarks and I'm more confused.  In this first picture going "horizontally", there is a capital "D", followed by an English sovereign looking DOWN inside of an "octagonal" box .

Then there is what looks to be a capital "G" facing DOWN in an "octagonal" box followed by a Lion in an "octagonal" box (walking to the left).

PICTURE 2.

Looks like a name that's half worn.  What's showing looks like "w-o-r-n  n-a-m-e",  a "4-Leaf Clover" symbol or some kind of "AND" (&) symbol, followed by the word "DUNNING".

Appreciate if anyone has any information to know if this is "Sterling silver" or "silver plate" and where it's from.

Sincerely,

Bill from Bean Town

Hallmark on the pieceHallmark on the piece

A worn name of the makerA worn name of the maker

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Looking At A Silver Object--Is it "Sterling" (?) -- Where, Who Made It and When ?

English hallmarks can be difficult to id exactly, but the lion indicates sterling silver. Other marks are for city made, maker, era, etc. Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Looking At A Silver Object--Is it "Sterling" (?) -- Where, Who Made It and When ?

Looks to be from London, 1802. That's King George in the silhouette. You can look up the maker easily enough, I haven't the time right now.

Lee
Message 3 of 3
latest reply