cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping rates gouging

I'm in the market for a plastic used toy. The toy seems to be selling for $21.00 to $60.00 depending on condition of the toy. The question is why would about half the sellers of this item charge $100 and over for shipping. I was a seller too and this item would cost ,worst case senario, about $19.00 to $29.00. Half of the sellers of this item on right on the mark but the other half are trying to make a fortune with the shipping rates. Obviously I would never to do business with these sellers but I am wondering if they are charging those rates on shipping to avoid Ebay fees?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

shipping rates gouging

@luxuryartisans,

Ebay used to only charge their fees on the sales price of the item. Now they charge their fees on the whole transaction. Item sales price, shipping fees, and sales tax.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

Price gouging only applies to items that are necessities. Shipping is not considered a necessity. Plus eBay charges fees on shipping. So no,there’s no avoiding fees by charging high shipping. 
Depending on what shipping service is used, weight of the item being shipped, size of the box, packaging materials, handling charges plus location of both buyer and seller come into play for costs of shipping.

If you don’t like the cost of shipping for a particular item, then you should find another seller whose shipping is more suited to your wallet.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

In short there are very few ways a seller can escape ebay fees as regardless of the costs of shipping, they become part of the overall dollar figure of the sale (including sale tax!) and the ebay fee is determined on that ultimate item sale amount and not just on the item. Shipping costs are also changing in repect to locations..example the shipping cost to a buyer lets say lives across the street from me, will be IN MOST cases substantially different than the buyers cost say in california . So for the Most Part the closer a seller is to you the cheaper the shipping costs will be.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

"The question is why would about half the sellers of this item charge $100 and over for shipping."

Look again at one of those listings for a used plastic toy that is asking $100 for shipping.  What is the shipping class that is referenced?  Is it an economy class with a lower rate?  Or could it be an expedited rate with next-day delivery which one would reasonably expect to cost more?  

Personally, I can't imagine any scenario  (it has a "c")  in which I would pay $25 for a used plastic toy, but maybe it is a rare thing; maybe only a very few were made and collectors really want them.  If it is in such high demand, maybe some collectors would  be willing to pay $100 to have it delivered the next day.  

You mentioned sellers asking high shipping charges as a way to avoid eBay fees.  You also say you were a seller.  My guess is that you haven't sold anything on eBay in quite a long time, because it's been years and years since eBay caught on to this too-widespread trick.  Sellers now pay a Final Value Fee on the total amount paid by the buyer, which includes the cost of the item plus postage and sales tax and any handling charge that the seller may have included in the listing. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

Because we can't see what you are looking at, it could need a really big box. Past 1 cubic foot, the oversized box kicks in and shipping is based on size not weight. How about posting an item number as a sample.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

I have several box lots of ornaments, each weighing 4-5 lbs.  Shipping to the west coast is around $12 (I'm in Oregon), but someone in NJ will pay around $30.  Same items, and the same weight, the only difference is the distance from my location.  Oregon-CA $12,  Oregon-NJ $30. 

The further the distance the higher the shipping.

The last shipping rate hike killed off sales of small items.  Everything now costs $10+ to ship when it used to cost $5. 

krazzykats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

...and with gas prices going up and down in such a crazy way, shipping costs will remain crazy to. In my area on Sunday gas might be 3.20 a gallon. Thursday it will be 3.90 a gallon and the Saturday 3.50. The following week gas prices jump all over the place again.

Wish they were when I used to work at a gas station a very long time ago. $0.37 and $0.39 per gallon.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

The USPS raised prices 3 times this past year and again last month.  They also imposed an additional fee on items that exceed a certain length and another fee for larger items (based on girth). 

eBay's final value fee that they charge us sellers is based on the item + shipping + tax, so no one is getting away with anything! 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

@luxuryartisans 

Some may be asking too much. Some may not be asking enough. Just too many variables (noted by other posters) to be sure what is going on.

As one responder posted.... when it goes over a cubic foot the price jumps..................  well, it jumps big again when it goes over 2 cubic feet  !!!!! Get over 108 Length + girth with USPS and there is, or at least there used to be a "balloon" surcharge that would make your eyes water.

Then, depending upon the "carrier" chosen...............  there could be some surcharges after delivery that the seller was not made aware of when listing the shipping cost.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

How big is it?   Could over size rates be kicking in?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

What's the weight and size of the toy?  Where is it shipping from, where is it shipping to and what mail class is being used?

I can ship a five pound lead weight (9in x 2in x 1in) for around $10 in a padded Flat Rate Priority envelope anywhere in the US.

Intensive Google research of approximately 30 seconds reveals that one pound of uncompressed feathers takes up approximately 0.2 cubic meters, which equals 7 cubic feet which equals 12096 cubic inches, and would cost an arm, leg and first born child no matter where it is shipping to because of it's physical size.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

That is NOT true. I sent 2 4 ounceboxes today and one was 3.81 and the other 4.03.   Shipping depends on the weight. If these boxes were heavier ,  they still would not hit 10 dollars even if I shipped to Hawaii. I am  in NY. 

But yes,  this last increase is going to kill alot of the cheap, lightweight items .  Buyers don't want to spend more on shipping than the cost of the item.  

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

Gas is finally cheap by me at $5.68 a gallon in San Francisco...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

shipping rates gouging

I am making less than $2.00 a shipment for my plant business. I make my own boxes, buy tape and all the things I need( wrapping when I can’t find free old newspaper, etc). I’ve spent hours packing orders only to find out the big fees charged by EBay. And I just found out if your weight/size of box is not accurate, the post office charges 2~4 dollars. I’m not sure if I’ve been totally accurate because sometimes I’m shipping 2 or more orders in one box, and I THOUGHT EBay was adding extra for the weight. 
I’m new at this and still learning, but yes, going with a flat rate shipping price, then praying people don’t order more than the weight you specified, is a real fine line.

so, between EBay fees and shipping costs, it’s tough. But $100 is probably a bit much. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply