cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postal insurance question... I am a ebay seller and buyer since 1997.

I am an ebay seller and buyer since 1997. I have seen a lot of changes and most of them not so good for sellers. Sellers rights have been eroded away with every seller update.  Now ebay wants banking information in order to sell here!  Just today I went to print a priority shipping label thru ebay and when I tried to add extra postal insurance I could not do it. The only insurance that was offered was ship cover thru ebay. I decided not to use that and closed out ebay and signed into paypal where I bought the priority mail label with the needed extra postal insurance with no problem. Has ebay stopped offering postal insurance or was it some kind of temporary glitch today that only offered ship cover insurance for my package?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: postal insurance question... I am a ebay seller and buyer since 1997.

I just 'stress-tested' it on one of my orders... the feature is still there in eBay Shipping. When I ticked the box to 'Add additional liability coverage', a drop-down menu appeared. ShipCover Insurance was the default (for $1.70, in my example), but with the down arrow, I found USPS Insurance (for $2.30, in my example)... did you see that?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

no, there was no drop down menu. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You are a Top Rated Seller, so when you purchase Priority Mail postage through eBay it automatically includes $100 of insurance coverage.

When I look at your Sold items, it seems that the most recent sale that you had for over $100 was on March 10.  So I suspect that the reason you weren't offered the option to purchase USPS insurance for your recent shipment was that the value of your transaction didn't warrant it.

When purchasing a label through PayPal, you only get the basic $50 of insurance coverage with Priority Mail.  So you'd be offered the option to purchase insurance for any transaction over $50.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

thru ebay priority mail comes with just 50 bucks insurance for me. probably because I am not a high volume seller. Years ago it did come with 100 but not anymore(for me)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I should add the package that I wanted to extra insurance for was a buyer who bought 2 pieces that totaled 86 dollars, thus the desire to get the extra insurance since both items shipped in the same box.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I just talked to a friend how had the same issue recently. He said last month he was able to buy extra postal insurance but now it's just ship cover insurance with no option to get extra postal insurance. I wonder if ebay owns 'ship cover insurance' and are forcing us to use it to making even more from sellers! who knows?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@greek38 wrote:

thru ebay priority mail comes with just 50 bucks insurance for me. probably because I am not a high volume seller. Years ago it did come with 100 but not anymore(for me)

Your feedback profile shows that you are a Top Rated Seller, so you should be getting the automatic $100 coverage with eBay Priority Mail labels.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

TBH I would go with ship surance over Postal Insurance.  SIne last fall it seems that USPS automatically declines the insurance.  THey require the box and merchandise be brought in.  It usedto be photos and online filing was enough.

IMO USPS extra insurance is a waste of money

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 9 of 9
latest reply