cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted rates"

Got this notice from ebay today that buyers will be offered the discounted rates at the same (? assumed but not specified by ebay) that we usually buy labels at, unless you opt out by 5.15.

Question: A hypothetical case - at present, buyer pays $5 for postage but discounted postage is $3. Ebay takes their cut on the $5 and I pay $3 so I am still in the black. However, if the buyer is offered the $3 discounted rate AND ebay still takes their cut, I will be in the red if I purchase the label for $3.

Do I have this correct?

Message 1 of 118
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted rates"

It's even worse than you think -- not only will you not be making any little profit -- you'll be losing money because eBay will still be charging you commission on the shipping funds you collect. 

The way it works now: let's say that eBay's auto shipping calculator shows a $6 shipping price to the customer, but your actual (discounted) shipping rate is $5, you're still breaking even -- eBay takes around 15% of the money your customer pays for shipping, so in this case they take about $1 and you get the remaining $5 to spend on your shipping label. Right now, you're breaking even. But now eBay wants to start showing customers the $5 discounted rate -- great! Hooray for the customer who saves $1. But now the customer pays $5 for shipping, eBay takes its 15%, and you get $4.40.....but you're still charged $5 for your label. So if you let eBay make this change to your account, you'll be paying more for shipping than you are receiving. I'm happy to show the discounted rates IF EBAY AGREES TO STOP CHARGING COMMISSION ON SHIPPING. But as it is now, if you let them make this change to your account, they're just unilaterally reducing your earnings. Opt out!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 118
latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

to set shipping preference now, or if opted into offering discount

Shipping discount settings (ebay.com)

Message 2 of 118
latest reply

Updating this post to add eBay FAQ and opt out link from Seller Center: https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/calculated-shipping-rates

@iredder wrote:

Question: A hypothetical case - at present, buyer pays $5 for postage but discounted postage is $3. Ebay takes their cut on the $5 and I pay $3 so I am still in the black. However, if the buyer is offered the $3 discounted rate AND ebay still takes their cut, I will be in the red if I purchase the label for $3. Do I have this correct?

Yes, you have that correct @iredder .

When a seller passes on the carrier discount and charges eBay rates, they will always be in the red unless they either add a handling fee or increase their item costs.

When you sell items that are all under a pound that might be manageable, but once you start selling heavier items it's near impossible to manage due to the cost difference between zones. Just like offering flat costs or free shipping, you will always be overcharging or undercharging some buyers if you offer carrier discounts plus a handling fee.

It also means every time there are rate changes you will have to figure out all of the unpublished eBay rates using their calculator after changes go into effect, then manually calculate the eBay fees on various rates/weights, then make manual adjustments to your handling fee. Unlike charging retail rates where the cushion is already built in.

One pitfall is sellers choosing to use a handling fee that frequently sell multiple items: that handling fee applies only to the first item when buyers buy several of the same item. If the handling fee covers the eBay fee on shipping for one item, seller loses when buyer purchases multiple items and ship cost goes up. Same applies if seller increases item cost instead of using a handling fee. There is no way for sellers of multiple items to efficiently and accurately account for eBay fees on shipping when passing carrier discounts to buyers.

A big pitfall is cubic rates and multi-item purchases. If your listing is set up with a 7x7x7 box, 2 lb and the buyer purchases 2 items, the system may charge them the cubic rate for a 7x7x7 box even though you've had to increase box size to 12x7x7. In that case the buyer isn't paying enough to cover the shipping label, let alone fees on ship cost. Since there are no cubic retail rates, you will avoid that pitfall by charging retail rates.

Update: eBay posted in this discussion earlier today they will be eliminating buyer-facing cubic rates on transactions with combined shipping, but not for transactions with single items. This means sellers passing on carrier discounts have little to no room for error on package dimensions in their listing when passing on carrier discounts. Read this thread for further discussion.

I've been saying for a while now with the gap between eBay rates and retail rates constantly getting bigger, eBay should:

1. Not pass on any cubic rates to buyers since their system has no way to account for box size changes on multi-item purchases. Also because many of the lower volume sellers I expect eBay is targeting use estimated box sizes, and the actual boxes they use to ship may be a bit larger.

2. Allow sellers to pass on carrier discounts at a seller-chosen percent above eBay rates so we can cover fees. Easy enough to build in a cap to cover the different category fees (20% should do it).

eBay wants us to pass on this discount to increase sales, yet they still charge fees on ship cost. They need to meet us halfway by implementing both points 1 and 2 above. eBay has, unfortunately, demonstrated time and again they want sellers to lower shipping, lower prices, and absorb all those losses. Forced Best Offer, encouraging sellers to use "recommended" ad rates, "easy pricing" that automatically lowers your pricing, sneaking in automatic offers to buyers being a default setting when you send that first seller initiated offer, and so much more. Now it's a huge push to get sellers to offer carrier discounts where every seller that complies will be in the red unless they're smart enough to either opt out or manage their prices differently.

Sellers that go along with the discounted rates and decide to increase their item costs to cover eBay fees: please do not forget you have that expense baked in when you deal with buyer offers!

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 118
latest reply

Just got this also. So ebay wants to attract more buyers because the discount shipping rate would be viewed opposed to the calculated rate based on the size and dimensions I put for the package? We’re already being charged hefty fees. 

Message 4 of 118
latest reply

Just received this email as well.  Just wondering if we pass on it, what will the negative repercussions be?  I've always figured in the little discounted shipping difference as a small part of my profit.  If I make this change, please correct me if I'm misunderstanding, there will never be any "profit" made from the difference in shipping on what we pay vs what the customer pays?  

Message 5 of 118
latest reply

Ebay should not charge a fee on the shipping when there is no handling fee added.  I understand why they did initially...item is 99cents and shipping is $25.99 - to avoid paying the fee on the sold item. Shipping has gone up so much that it is hardly worth selling some items. 

Message 6 of 118
latest reply

Looks like ebay is squeezing the sellers profit more.

Message 7 of 118
latest reply

Hi all,  Does this pertain ONLY to those listings with calculated shipping? Also received this e-mail message though it does not show under my "messages". Thanks!

Message 8 of 118
latest reply

When eBay removes their fee on the shipping charges, I will lower my shipping costs to their discounted rate.  

Message 9 of 118
latest reply

@jbbowers12012 wrote:

Hi all,  Does this pertain ONLY to those listings with calculated shipping? Also received this e-mail message though it does not show under my "messages". Thanks!

Yes @jbbowers12012 . Flat rates are chosen by the seller and eBay doesn't touch those.

Passing on carrier discounts is exclusive to calculated shipping.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 118
latest reply

Thank You For This Info. Though I think I will be pretty safe from this - I do think that this may not be a great idea. Thanks Again!!  (J.B.)

Message 11 of 118
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

what am I missing here? This is a non-event the way I am reading it

----------------

If you want to opt out of this change, just let us know here  by May 13 and we won’t make any changes to your current shipping rates. You can also switch back to showing standard rates at any time after May 15 through your shipping discount settings.

-----------------

Remember how sellers balked when automatically "opted in" to EIS without notice?

At least they are notifying us, and we can just change it back after implementation....

no?

Message 12 of 118
latest reply

It's even worse than you think -- not only will you not be making any little profit -- you'll be losing money because eBay will still be charging you commission on the shipping funds you collect. 

The way it works now: let's say that eBay's auto shipping calculator shows a $6 shipping price to the customer, but your actual (discounted) shipping rate is $5, you're still breaking even -- eBay takes around 15% of the money your customer pays for shipping, so in this case they take about $1 and you get the remaining $5 to spend on your shipping label. Right now, you're breaking even. But now eBay wants to start showing customers the $5 discounted rate -- great! Hooray for the customer who saves $1. But now the customer pays $5 for shipping, eBay takes its 15%, and you get $4.40.....but you're still charged $5 for your label. So if you let eBay make this change to your account, you'll be paying more for shipping than you are receiving. I'm happy to show the discounted rates IF EBAY AGREES TO STOP CHARGING COMMISSION ON SHIPPING. But as it is now, if you let them make this change to your account, they're just unilaterally reducing your earnings. Opt out!

Message 13 of 118
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

what am I missing here?

I don't know?

Sellers have to #1 read the email from eBay and #2 understand what the change means to their financials so they can make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

The opt out link is right there in the seller's face. It's up to them to use it if they don't want their account to be forced in to the change.

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 118
latest reply

Why can't Ebay do what Poshmark does? Have a flat rate of $7.75 for up to 5 pounds?

Message 15 of 118
latest reply