cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted rates"

Got this notice from ebay today that buyers will be offered the discounted rates at the same (? assumed but not specified by ebay) that we usually buy labels at, unless you opt out by 5.15.

Question: A hypothetical case - at present, buyer pays $5 for postage but discounted postage is $3. Ebay takes their cut on the $5 and I pay $3 so I am still in the black. However, if the buyer is offered the $3 discounted rate AND ebay still takes their cut, I will be in the red if I purchase the label for $3.

Do I have this correct?

Message 1 of 142
latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

If you opted out of showing the eBay price, then your listing will show (and charge) the retail price to your buyers.

I was already charging the discounted price.

I wonder why they sent me the email - unless they changed my settings to retail rates. 

I'm already being charged more for shipping than what eBay charges the buyer. I put 12x12x12 on my listings because we can't leave the measurements blank anymore - and I still get charged more. Print shipping label page had 1x1x1 on the measurements on my last sale and using decimals did not change the shipping that I was charged.

I guess I needed to double check my settings before receiving the email, and before opting out (I didn't really understand it at all so just opted out) to see if eBay went in and changed my settings to retail rates, like when they enrolled me in business policies without my knowledge or permission a year or so ago. 

Message 136 of 142
latest reply

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

@ltldpr wrote: ... I wonder why they sent me the email - unless they changed my settings to retail rates. 

I'm already being charged more for shipping than what eBay charges the buyer. I put 12x12x12 on my listings because we can't leave the measurements blank anymore - and I still get charged more. ...

That shouldn't be happening; the USPS shipping calculator in eBay listings is 99.9% accurate.  We can probably help figure out the problem if you provide an example with specific details, including package weight and actual dimensions, service used (e.g., Priority Mail?), both ZIP Codes, and both exact prices. Maybe start a new thread for this.

To get back to the original thread topic, I suspect that eBay selected a group of sellers to send that message to, and sent the same message to all sellers without regard to whether they were currently charging the retail rate or the eBay rate.

Message 137 of 142
latest reply

Basically the seller is now paying for shipping- I am using the eBay discounted shipping and I am now paying for shipping - whatever they charge the customer for discounted shipping is what it costs me to buy the shipping label, so it’s a wash!

Message 138 of 142
latest reply

Totally agree. That discount was for sellers because they are the ones buying the postage. It doesn't make any sense to offer that discount to buyers. I think it's time to start using one of those many 3rd party shipping companies. Ebay is on the wrong side of this one.

Message 139 of 142
latest reply

@mariepsu74 wrote:

Basically the seller is now paying for shipping- I am using the eBay discounted shipping and I am now paying for shipping - whatever they charge the customer for discounted shipping is what it costs me to buy the shipping label, so it’s a wash!

Can't really be a wash if you pay for the label exactly what your buyer pays since you also are paying fees on that amount, so you are in the hole with each shipment.  That doesn't even address your packing material costs, if you have those.

Message 140 of 142
latest reply

Ebay has really gone DOWN HILL.  No longer able to contact customer service...confusing to complete some tasks on ebay and NO HELP AVAILABLE.  Really, really disappointing...Facebook Marketplace is looking better and better these days... 

Message 141 of 142
latest reply

I didn't get a notice at all about shipping. Why wouldn't it go out to all?

Message 142 of 142
latest reply