cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay launching USPS Cubic rates - Jan 21, 2024

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/2024-USPS-Rate-Changes/ba-p/34236252

Great news! Cubic services are now available for USPS Ground Advantage and Priority Mail effective January 21, 2024. 

Smart Ship Tip: Cubic pricing is based on the size of the package instead of the weight; this means it’s even more important to include accurate weights and dimensions for your package so that eBay Labels can display the lowest rate for you. 

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: eBay launching USPS Cubic rates - Jan 21, 2024

Adding some general info on box measurements for cubic pricing. Based on outer (not inner) box dimensions, below is from the USPS Domestic Mail Manual:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/223.htm#ep1403990

Cubic prices are not based on weight, but are charged based on zone and the mail piece’s cubic measurement, with any fraction of a measurement rounded down to the nearest 1/4 inch. For example, a dimension of a piece measuring 12-3/8 inches is rounded down to 12-1/4 inches.

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

I don't feel like copy/pasting to another discussion @fern*wood so I'm tagging you here. Saw you asked about cubic measurements on another thread. See above.

As for pricing @valueaddedresource , eBay is defaulting the label to whichever is cheaper between cubic and non-cubic. Doesn't appear to be an indication in the text if cubic rates are shown, just in the price.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

Thanks, I used cubic a couple times on pirate ship and even a quarter inch would sometimes change the price, so now I’m having a brain issue with rounding to the nearest 1/4 in.  I guess I just round down or up and enter the nearest inch?   I know many don’t enter the dimensions at all if under a cubic foot.  I guess they are required now or the pricing could be very wrong.

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I don't feel like copy/pasting to another discussion @fern*wood so I'm tagging you here. Saw you asked about cubic measurements on another thread. See above.

As for pricing @valueaddedresource , eBay is defaulting the label to whichever is cheaper between cubic and non-cubic. Doesn't appear to be an indication in the text if cubic rates are shown, just in the price.

@wastingtime101 that's what I was noticing too in playing with it today - thanks for confirming!

The FAQ on this page also seems to confirm there won't be any indication in the text shown on the label purchase page, but you will be able to see it on the label once it's printed.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/choosing-a-carrier-and-service/usps-and-ebay-labels 

How can I receive USPS cubic rates for my eBay shipments?
Simply enter accurate weight and dimensions for your package when printing your eBay shipping labels. eBay will automatically offer the best rate, and apply cubic pricing for Priority Mail and Ground Advantage if the cubic rate is better than non-cubic rates.

How will I know whether I was charged cubic pricing or non-cubic pricing for my shipping label?
If you were charged for cubic pricing, you will see the cubic price tier above the USPS zone indicated on the top section of the label—remember, you will be charged the lower of cubic or non-cubic pricing for packages that qualify for cubic pricing.

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

Dimensions only matter if the package is over a pound (and small enough that it's not subject to size surcharges).

If you round to the nearest inch you may find yourself overpaying @fern*wood . If length is 5.5" then enter 5.5" do not enter 6". Example:

.1 cu ft is 172.8 in

6x6x5 = 180 = .2 cu ft rate

6x5.5x5 = 165 = .1 cu ft rate

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

Yep @valueaddedresource that appears to be how eBay designed it. You can only tell if you (a) are well informed on rates or (b) look at the label.

It's excellent that eBay has launched cubic rates, however there is a significant flaw.

On Pirate, you can choose package type such as tube, box or poly mailer. On eBay you cannot choose package type.

On Pirate, when you choose poly mailer (aka envelope or box-in-bag) you enter TWO dimensions - LxH and disregard width. Cubic is calculated based on LxH.

On eBay you will not be able to do that. So you will get good cubic rates for boxes on eBay, but not for polymailers or box-in-bag. On eBay you are forced to enter 3 dimensions so it will always be calculated LxWxH.

Until eBay starts accounting for package type, which in my opinion they need to do, sellers will still see lower cubic rates for polymailers through Pirate.

Plus we see all those sellers hit by UPS and FedEx surcharges when they use round mailing tubes. If eBay added in package type and let sellers choose tube upfront, they could account for that charge upfront in what's shown to buyers on calc shipping and what's charged to sellers when they buy labels, instead of applying cost adjustments after the fact when the carrier adds them.

eBay's made several positive shipping changes in the second half of 2023 (Ground Advantage transition disaster aside) - hopefully we'll see more improvements throughout 2024. 🤞

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Dimensions only matter if the package is over a pound (and small enough that it's not subject to size surcharges).

If you round to the nearest inch you may find yourself overpaying @fern*wood . If length is 5.5" then enter 5.5" do not enter 6". Example:

.1 cu ft is 172.8 in

6x6x5 = 180 = .2 cu ft rate

6x5.5x5 = 165 = .1 cu ft rate

Okay, I should actually mess around with some labels instead of asking things which should be obvious if I’d start doing them. I was hung up on the fractions, because I didn’t think I could enter them on eBay labels.

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I was hung up on the fractions, because I didn’t think I could enter them on eBay labels.

On the label purchase page you can enter a single decimal, not 2 decimals.

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

If a listing is set up for calculated postage, and the weight is correct, but the dimensions are wrong and will result in a cheaper cubic rate, is that the shipping amount that will now be shown on the listing and charged to the customer?  If so, oh boy. 

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

@cd_schwane wrote:

If a listing is set up for calculated postage, and the weight is correct, but the dimensions are wrong and will result in a cheaper cubic rate, is that the shipping amount that will now be shown on the listing and charged to the customer?  If so, oh boy. 

That depends. If you give buyers your online discount, then yes it's possible to undercharge buyers should you end up using a larger box than what's declared on the listing form.

If you do not pass on carrier discounts then buyers will continue to see retail rates on the listing page with calculated shipping, regardless of what you pay when you purchase the label.

I think most sellers do not pass on full carrier discounts, as it's a money-losing venture unless you are making up for it by raising item prices to cover packing materials and eBay fees on buyer-paid shipping.

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

So even if the listing has 1x1x1 instead of the correct 12x12x12 & weighs over a pound it will be okay if retail rates are charged?  I probably have many old listings like that.

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

So even if the listing has 1x1x1 instead of the correct 12x12x12 & weighs over a pound it will be okay if retail rates are charged?  I probably have many old listings like that.

Yes. Key words: if retail rates are charged.

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

It looks like your buyer will be charged the retail rate. But then, with those dimensions, you'll be charged the cubic rate for the package label,  if you don't correct the dimensions on the label form.

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

I apologize to all for my denseness on this issue, so buyers aren’t offered/charged cubic rates at the retail level?  

Message 15 of 62
latest reply