cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

I just reviewed the updated (June 1, 2018) standards for remaining a TRS.

Late Shipment Standards

I am particularly concerned with the miniscule number of shipments considered "late" for a TRS to lose their status and even their selling privilages. I believe that 6 late shipments knocks you out of TRS and just another 2 put you in the position to lose your selling privilages. Seriously? That is a fraction of a single USPS pickup. I don't know about your local post office, but mine is NOT 100% when it comes to scanning packages. And unless a law is passed allowing me to threaten a carrier with bodily harm, I cannot FORCE them to scan packages 100% of the time. I had an issue a couple of months ago where we received a shipment of thermal paper for our barcode reader. Apparently it was defective because the USPS scanner couldn't read the barcode (even though it looked fine). Our local post office did not notify us of a problem. I find out a couple of days later because a customer asked if their package shipped. This issue affected 20 packages. Under this new policy, I'd have my seller status restricted or revoked altogether. It wouldn't matter that I have 99.99% positive feedback. It wouldn't matter that my "late" percentage is under 2%. It wouldn't matter that I've been a trusted seller for nearly 20 years.

Free Returns

Additionally, eBay claims that free returns on EVERYTHING sold are now the "industry standard." These include returns due to errors made by the buyer and simple buyer's remorse returns. Please allow me to translate this into plain Engish: free returns on everything are the "Amazon and Walmart" standard. Most of the eBay sellers I know do not have the resources of an Amazon or a Walmart. Some of us ship heavy items to customers where shipping is nearly the cost of the product. I deal with MANY suppliers and free remorse returns is NOT the industry standard. All this will do is to encourage product "renting" (sellers of better ladies garments are very familiar with this). If eBay believes that this is a good business practice, I have a suggestion: let eBay fund this "industry standard" free returns program. They can write the millions of dollars spent off to Fraud or Advertising Expense. eBay can also stop taking a cut from every dollar received by sellers for shipping costs. 

Amazon is a **bleep** place to sell. I know plenty of Amazon sellers but very few who like it. They do it because it's the biggest game in town. Does eBay really want to join this club? Many sellers of the most interesting stuff I know, do it part time. Tighten the noose too much and these sellers may just decide it's too much effort and worry. And everytime I think that eBay cannot make the demands on Top Rated Sellers even more onorous, they find a way. The bad sellers are OBVIOUS. They are NOT the sellers who had a bad day with the post office or were suddently taken ill and could not hit the "On Vacation" slider between the chest pain and unconsciousness. 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

Amazon only offers free returns if it meets their policy(notice the policy restrictions and free returns is on an individual product basis):

About Free Returns

Amazon.com offers free returns on some items. Look for “Free returns” next to the price to confirm that the item qualifies for free returns.

To receive Free Returns on your eligible product(s)
  • Only product(s) that say that they are eligible for Free Returns on the product detail page are eligible for Free Returns. Free Returns only applies to product(s) fulfilled by Amazon. It does not apply to the same product(s) fulfilled by other sellers.
  • No minimum purchase is required to receive Free Returns.
  • Free Returns is available to delivery addresses in the 50 states of the United States only, including Alaska and Hawaii. Free Returns is available to APO/FPO addresses when using a United States zip code only. Additional geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular products.
  • If you're not satisfied with your purchase, return the eligible product(s) in new and unworn condition in the original packaging for a full refund in accordance with our returns policy. We do not refund the original shipping fees, however.
  • All product packaging and certificates of authenticity, grading, and appraisal must be returned with the product. Any product(s) returned without original documentation will be rejected. Any product(s) that have been resized, damaged or otherwise altered after delivery will not be accepted for return.
  • Eligible product(s) must be returned using a trackable shipping method. Please contact our Customer Service or visit our Online Returns Center and we will guide you through the process. We offer two options to return eligible product(s):
    • UPS drop off option: You can drop off your return at the authorized UPS location of your choice. There is no charge for this option.
    • UPS pickup option: UPS will pick up your return at the address of your choice. If you choose the UPS Pickup option and if the return is not a result of our error, you will be charged a convenience fee of $6 for the UPS Pickup.
  • Amazon will process your return and issue a full refund with no deduction for return shipping after receiving your return of the eligible product(s). If your return is not a result of an Amazon error, we will not refund the original shipping fees. If you return product(s) that are ineligible for free returns with product(s) that are eligible for free returns, Amazon may deduct the shipping costs for the ineligible products(s) from your refund amount in accordance with Amazon's general returns policy. In addition, some special product, order, or handling fees may still apply.
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Re: eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

Then eBay is trying to out-return Amazon which is a truly scary thought.
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

I know on the first of may I am going to downgrade my store. I have slowly been decreasing my listings anyways because of eBay's policies. On June first I will be closing my account. Example. I just a door that cost $165 to ship. The door cost the customer $250. If he decides he wants to return it it will cost me a total of $330.  Their is no way to make this up. On electronic or electrical parts for your auto. If you try to return them to your local parts house and it looks they have been installed they will not accept them back. I don't want to close my account but they are leaving me no choice.

Food for thought.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

I meant to say sold a door.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

I'm downgrading in May also. Bye 10 years. I used to make money here but the fees and rules have made me decide to cut back expenses at home and effectively make eBay a minor hobby to keep up with my Netflix and Hulu auto-pays.
Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Yep... everytime I see a "<insert season here> Seller Update," I start to cringe.

They've already cut FVF discounts in half and now requiring 30-day free Returns even for Buyer's Remorse? Honestly, the only reason I would even consider is because of shipping discounts, which helps me tremendously. However, if the rate of returns increase for me... well... I guess that's it.

The only redeeming factor for one of their past updates was lessening the defect penalties.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

returns.JPGYes - eBay, you have out done Amazon for sure...let's just add a button for I don't feel like having this anymore after using it for a while

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

I was already selling out since this update came out, sellers are not wanted. Now getting negative feedback for not accepting returns past my 30 day policy, well I know I'm not going to even try to continue on eBay.
Message 9 of 42
latest reply

I understand. Honestly, every time eBay adds one of these “features” without bringing it to the sellers as an idea first, it hurts. Not just my business but me emotionally. It’s like a marriage. eBay and I have been in a committed relationship for 20 years. It feels like eBay is selling our home without considering how it affects me and the rest of the family.
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

You can read the fine print anywhere you sell on a third party website and what usually happens is REGARDLESS of what the rule is on the return it will be forced. The buyer is always right in most cases, so if you are comparing AMZ to Ebay there is no difference. I have read that the return issues on Amazon are FAR WORSE than Ebay. I have read stories of merchants having tracking showing delivered, and becuase it did not have signature tracking AMZ went ahead and gave that item away to the buyer.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

The river also does not ,as far as I know have as sophisticated a resolutions dept like Ebay when things do go wrong. AMZ is so big and sassy, they could care less about stuff like that.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Glad I stopped selling long long ago. Only the big players will remain around and the smaller sellers will flee.  They need to rethink their policies.

KimmiKat
Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You can read the fine print anywhere you sell on a third party website and what usually happens is REGARDLESS of what the rule is on the return it will be forced. The buyer is always right in most cases, so if you are comparing AMZ to Ebay there is no difference. I have read that the return issues on Amazon are FAR WORSE than Ebay. I have read stories of merchants having tracking showing delivered, and becuase it did not have signature tracking AMZ went ahead and gave that item away to the buyer.

Etsy  doesn't  get involed  with their sellers return policys .      

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

The sadist situation is the  truth that this site doesn't care if you have supported this site as a  honest seller for 10 years-20 years--the image of being just like Amazon is all that matters --you leave and they know 10 more clueless newbie sellers will arrive to take any exprienced sellers place-when they leave after the taste of bitter policy--10 more  will arrive.

China and india sellers will  become the main  bread providers  for this site .

Im sure it is appreciated by all sellers that E bay can and has full control over how the postal service provides fault free on time delivery each year without a hitch--that kind of magic makes David Copperfield look like a newbie--Sigh!

Best of luck to all the Honest sellers playing the loose around the neck policy game

Message 15 of 42
latest reply