cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Standard Envelope NO INSURANCE if not scanned

Hopefully this will help others, I had a package that I shipped using eBay's Standard Shipping Envelope program.  This package was dropped off by me at a post office.  It could not be scanned, and before it made it to the main office where scanning apparently happens with the sorting machines, it was lost, stolen, or otherwise diverted.  Unfortunately for me since it didn't get scanned, I'm not entitled to the insurance and I have an unhappy buyer to boot.  THANKS eBay for telling us NONE of the details we needed to know before using your greatest newest offering to make our lives harder as sellers.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@archangelcoins 

Just like Priority Mail, if you don't get it scanned, you don't have any proof you shipped it.

How come the package couldn't be scanned.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Scanning is done solely by the sorting machines located in usps hubs, a usps employee has no ability to scan these in any way shape or form, beware.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I've been using this service for a short while and checked the results a bit.

I've gotten + feedback from buyers whose tracking said nothing beyond "label created"

Many others with partial/incomplete tracking

Makes me wonder; per ebay's insurance on this service, what happens if buyer files INR claim & tracking only shows the "Label Created" likely claim denied

I hope they can work the bugs out of this service, it could be pretty handy for the cheap stuff

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The insurance is actually with USPS according to the eBay rep I spoke with, so likely no scan, no insurance.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I've had this same issue, it's been really frustrating.  After a few hours between chat and phone support, it's beyond obvious that there is not reliable tracking on ESE.  Won't be long until this is known on the buyer end and sellers start getting scammed when a buyer sees that tracking is never updated.  I jumped in with both feet on the new service but will likely not use it anymore unless improvements can be made.  I don't want to refund multiple small purchases.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I used this service not too long ago. I printed it out with a thermal printer and slapped the label on a PWE. Thankfully it tracked from the stories I've heard. Took a few days for the not so "delivery" scan.

USPS definitely needs to improve this process. Sometimes it scans, sometimes never. Likely the data matrix code isn't being read properly. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

So this is a new service? I am not aware of it. I used to use a stamp to mail one greeting card to a buyer that purchased only one card. More than one buyer claimed they did not receive it and I had to refund them. I raised my shipping price to $4 for first class with tracking. $3.12-$4.08 seems to be the cheapest first class price depending on where it's going. I have had no problems with buyers paying the $4.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I am confused.did you use the cheap envelope thing for 51 cents..that does not sound like a package to me.

the low cost card envelope is hard to scan at the window from what I have heard

small EISD packages get scanned for me wth the ESUS labels

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I've had 4 claims of not received out of about 200. On the 4 that were not received I just placed the information in a folder and filed the claim when it was allowed and was reimbursed.  The service has definitely increased sales. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Kind of old post but could be helpful to someone. I take a picture of the label on the envelope next to the individualized USPS ID number that is embossed on the placard on the drop box. At least I have a photo proving I put it in there and which specific box it was mailed from. May help during some claims.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I TOTALLY AGREE!  It's as if between eBay and the Post Office they are gaslighting us!  At one point a year ago about 40 percent of my eBay envelop mailings were not getting there and ... as you say, NO TRACKING, NO INSURANCE, etc.

So, I was spending ALL OF MY TIME trying to find my packages, trying to PROVE I mailed them, filling out appeals, trying to appease customers, etc.  It's a total nightmare!

So, THEN I quite selling (out of utter frustration) and eBay put me on some sort of "probation" for "poor sales performance."  I'm screaming at them: "I QUITE SELLING because of the nightmare of your stupid eBay envelopes!"  They talk to me like I'm a child: "I know you're frustrated, but let's talk about getting your sales numbers back up."

Nooooooooo!  Let's talk about improving your eBay envelop tracking and performance!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Mine was actually scanned in, but I can't file a claim, as USPS doesn't recognize it as a legit tracking number.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@handyhandz4u wrote:

Mine was actually scanned in, but I can't file a claim, as USPS doesn't recognize it as a legit tracking number.

ESE insurance is through a 3rd party company. 

Filing a claim 

If you believe your envelope was lost in shipping, you'll need to wait 30 days to file a claim. Claims must be filed no later than 90 days from the date the shipping label was created.

You can reduce the amount of the claim if your shipment was only partially lost or damaged, however the claim amount cannot be more than the item's sold price.

To file a claim, select the button below and add the following information to the form:

1. Tell us what happened - was your item damaged, or was your shipment lost?
  2. Enter the claim information and your PayPal email address
  3. Enter the following additional information:
    • Your first and last name
    • The buyer’s first and last name
    • Shipment tracking number
    • eBay item number
    • Screenshot of eBay Order Details
    • Screenshot of buyer’s complaint message or dispute details regarding the lost or damaged item
Message 14 of 15
latest reply