cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer damages item, file not as described and demand refund

Refund would total more than $210 in this case. Buyer has just 5 ratings on ebay since 2015 if that matters. 

question: 1. can my credit card company do anything once i am forced to issue her refund 2. what are some other sites that offers better seller protection? poshmark? depop? seriously considering switching. 

Been reading all the posts from the past and i am sick in my stomach how ebay is handling things these days, at this point I just want to ask which site has better seller protection? poshmark ? depop? serious question as I dont mind paying a bit more fees on those site just to avoid situation like this. 

- sold a pair of beloved 100% silk pants in size xs petite 

- buyer wants return on the day of receiving the pants showing me two huge rips on the seam of pants - one on the butt, one on the thigh - highly likely ripped by someone who's bigger than the pants, especially considering the delicate fabric in this case 

- she stated multiple times that she didn't try them on since she's afraid to make the rip bigger 

- there is no way I could rip those pants like that as I am super petite and the pants fit loose on me. I checked the 5 feedback on her profile, looks like she's wears size 4 in a top vs XXS, XS or 00 in my case. 

- I have been asked to measure the pants and have steamed the pants before listing and before shipping, no way I could miss those huge rips on the multiple occasions of me handing the pants. I even tried them on before deciding to sell if there are big rips why would I sell a defect and putting myself through all this? 

again sick in my stomach, I not only lost a pair of discontinued silk pants retails for more than $250, now I have to pay for both shippings. Disgusting 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: buyer damages item, file not as described and demand refund

1. eBay will be making this decision so I would suggest taking pictures after you receive the item so you can explain that the item was damaged by the buyer. Your credit card company will not be able to help you unless you're an elite member, have 24/7 concierge services, and even then, they might not be able to help. 

2. I would not consider jumping to another platform so quickly. There's a lot of good with eBay as well. If you seek out situations similar to what you experienced, you will only find negative comments similar to how you feel. You will experience similar outcomes with other platforms as well. 

If you are referring to the Elizabeth Suzann Tilda Pant, it looks like you do not accept returns so you should not be responsible for the return shipping unless they opened a return case as INAD (item not as described). If you think you have a fighting chance with eBay, then you can pay for the shipping back, take pictures of the damage and chat with eBay. As for me, I sell enough to price these losses into my business model. These happen once in a while but not all the time but the revenue definitely outweighs these returns. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

No Returns does not mean no refunds.

In the future, you might want to revisit your Return policy. TRS sellers that offer 30-Day Returns or any seller that offers Free Returns can deduct up to 50% if the item is returned to you in a de-valued condition than what you shipped. There's no other way to cut your losses on an Not As Described case.

Sorry this happened to you.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Im sorry too...op dont even bother taking pictures of the pants when you get them back. Ebay will not accept them as proof of anything..photos can be doctored,and they know that.since the pants are ripped, this is definitely a snad case, and you will be responsible for her return shipping. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@treasurestadium wrote:

1. eBay will be making this decision so I would suggest taking pictures after you receive the item so you can explain that the item was damaged by the buyer.

Unless the buyer admits to damaging the item, there's really no way to prove they did it.

The package could have got caught in a conveyor belt or run over with machinery and damaged the item

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I just looked at your original listing.  ebay will do the same and they will also review the buyers photos of the rips.  I wish you had several more of your own photos of all angles of the pants. It would prove that you of course sent the pants in unripped condition. I learned the hard way many years ago to include as many photos in my listings as allowed. A buyer claimed I sent him a lot of vintage empty video games cases. All the games were in their cases but I didn't open them up and take pictures of the games, just the fronts and backs of the covers. ebay ruled in the buyers favor.  After about 2 weeks, I checked to see if the buyer had anything listed for sale and there they were. He literally stole them from me. I do hope this works out for you.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

yes, besides the few pictures listed, I do have additional pics as a few buyers had asked me to take additional measures for them . They were more closed-up but still I didn't deliberately show the butt seam or the thigh seam --> naive as I didn't think I would run into a buyer like this. Lesson learned,  I would take a ton of pictures next time for value items. 

worst part is those rips were clearly from someone who's bigger than the pants (i mean butt and thigh seam lol) I am petite xxs or 00 whereas she's size 4 ??? but of course EBAY is not going to take this into consideration. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I think I am going to appeal, just want to let this buyer know she's not going to scam that easily..  I did have a few relatively more closed-up pictures requested by other buyers. 

I know its going to be a long shot but I needed this fight, I loved those pants, heartbroken to see them got ripped like that and that I am the one paying for it...

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes they are the elizabeth suzann tilda pants.

she acted like a PRO opened an "item not as described case" the night she received the pants without even trying to talk to me first. kept asking me to move forward with full refund. I had to asked her bunch of times to get some pictures in daylight and the same angle the way i took them. 

I agree there are a lot of pros for selling on ebay but this is a fatal con for me. Take poshmark, where the fee is 20%, customer service on posh is way better, they probably have a fund set aside to cover expense like this whereas ebay, charging 10%, treating sellers like dirt. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@blackoutd wrote:

I think I am going to appeal, just want to let this buyer know she's not going to scam that easily..  I did have a few relatively more closed-up pictures requested by other buyers. 

I know its going to be a long shot but I needed this fight, I loved those pants, heartbroken to see them got ripped like that and that I am the one paying for it...

If you try to fight it, might not be much of a fight.

Ebay could just refund the buyer from your account, let them keep the pants and give you a defect for not handling the return yourself.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

tmr ebay will rule in buyers favor and I will refund and provide a label ( I mean i dont have other options unless as you said I get a defect on my account) 

Once I received the pants, I am going to take some pictures in the same lighting and same angle, so that I can compare the before and after side by side. 

I know chance is pretty slim, but i dont want the buyer to get away with this that easy. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

also why would a size 4 trying to buy a size XS in petite? some of the low feedback users are just trolls on ebay 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply