cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wood Item Undeliverable from UK

Ebay has marked a perfectly legal Mahogany item from the UK as undeliverable? Are they just shipping no wood at all anymore? This is absurd. And when I call Ebay support, while very nice, they are clearly getting no info from Pitney Bowes on the items. When I call Pitney Bowes, they tell me to call Ebay. I'm actually very pro CITES, but it shouldn't prevent legit items from being shipped internationally. Anybody have a solution to this problem? Is there a way the seller can be advised to label items to ensure success?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

From Google

"Is Mahogany legal in the US

Mahogany is listed on the Convention on Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) because of a need for strict regulation to prevent its extinction. For that reason, under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, it's illegal to possess or trade mahogany.Dec 9, 2021"

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

From Google

"Is Mahogany legal in the US

Mahogany is listed on the Convention on Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) because of a need for strict regulation to prevent its extinction. For that reason, under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, it's illegal to possess or trade mahogany.Dec 9, 2021"

Well, that's not entirely true. One of my favorite exotic lumber yards cookwoods.com in Oregon has 6 pages of Honduran Mahogany listed although it does come with the caveat that it can not be shipped outside of the US.

In fact there are several varieties of mahogany and only some of them are severely restricted. Peruvian Mahogany, for example, which comes from the Amazon Rain Forest is restricted.

So if the article in question is simply listed as "Mahogany" it is reasonable that the powers that be would err on the side of Denial rather than take any chances.

There are however sustainably managed forests that plant as many trees as they harvest. That wood is legal.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply