cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why my package is in Memphis, TN?

Hi. I shipped a package to NY city (from Chicago). The package is in Mephis right now - I have no idea why there. Ok, I could say it's USPS mistake, but it's the next time when my package went to Memphis. What's going on with this Memphis? USPS mistake or I heard that they ship by plane all packages to Memphis and later they deliver it to destination cities. 

Anyway, the package should be in NY right now, not there. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Why my package is in Memphis, TN?

Fedex flies USPS packages for the Post Office. ALL Fedex packages go to Memphis first. The package could have gotten mixed in with some Fedex stuff and will have to be sent across town to the USPS hub. That could take a day or two depending on how slow Fedex decides to be. unamused

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Maybe while it visits Memphis it will take a walk down Beale Street.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

My 1st Class package from NY to Baltimore is returning from a short visit at the San Juan, PR.  distribution center. Not sure why a 212 Zip item is going to an 009 Zip distribution center, but hopefully the next stop will be in Maryland.

Many have reported that(PR visit) happening lately.

Good thing for eBay that I am not in the GD program.

Bad thing for me as the buyer was probably expecting the item to be delivered by now. ( I was)

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

i HAVE A PACKAGE THAT LEFT HERE AND WAS HEADED NORTH (FROM KY) AND ITS LATE LAST SCANNED IN ......YOU GUESSED IT mEMPHIS! mOST OF MY PACKAGES FOR TO KNOXVILLE AND HEAD OUT FROM THERE , BUT I NEVER HAVE A SCAN FROM MEMPHIS UNLESS ITS ACTUALLY 'GOING' THERE.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

NOOOOOOO, SOMETIMES WHEN I SHIP TO THE WEST COAST SMARTPOST IS MY FRIEND
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

it happens..it does and will again.. Remember everyone...the packages are handles by a machine..conveyor belts, scanned by machines..sorted into piles...etc... so most packages don't actually feel the hands or eyes of a person along the way...untill it is too late and yes some end up going to the wrong place....

KEEP THIS IN MIND.... before computer, before scanning  and updates...WE put stuff in the mail and NEVER knew where it went...just hoping we got a phone call or letter saying they got it...if that!.....bills were mailed....and did we know when and if they company got them? nope...we assumed..untill there was an issue with a bill....SO yes it can and does happen....and with any and all shippers...there are thousands and thousands of packages/mail....so just because you have one...do you think it doesn't happen to anyone else?...call USPS open a case..they'll motivate it to the right place...and that's what counts....the rest of ebay rules...i don't bother with it...it just happens... call ebay CS see what they will do....but again....expect it to happen ... follow up with CS....shippers and/or ebay....

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

My package is still in Memphis - transit to Annex (whatever it is). Should be delivered on monday. I called USPS - no one can explain why Chicago loves shipping to Mempis and why Memphis keeps them so long. I just hear: it shouldn't be like this. I know! I hope they will depart it today. 

I'm still glad it is in USA. They could ship it to Mexico. I heard about Puerto Rico - many sellers complain that their packages were there. My package was shipped to Asia ( I've never been there!).

I'm not an Elvis Presley's fan, but someone in Chicago distribution center is his fan for sure 🙂 

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

lol it's funny...I live in Northeast Mississippi. Every piece of mail that leaves my house goes to Memphis first. I've never had a problem in Memphis. Not once, ever.

Utah

I don't know what it is about Utah,  but almost every single package I send that passes through there  likes to sit there for days. Doesn't matter where in Utah, either. It's like someone throws up a giant stop sign in Utah.  The only package I've ever had lost in transit made it to Utah, where it disappeared. I did file a lost package report, it was eventually found and I had it sent back to me, but still...

Yeah, I cringe when I see Utah. I'd rather see Bell Gardens CA,  And that's the USPS black hole lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Because it wanted to visit Graceland Smiley Wink sorry I know how annoying it is, I was just trying to inject a little humor to a frustrating situation.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I sell nation wide and international but OHIO is a problem.  Items sit at the PO for weeks before getting on a truck to the buyers house or the same postage that will take it to Hawaii or Alaska suddenly isnt enough and it gets to the end "postage due". Sigh.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I ship from Columbus Ohio.  This week  I maild a box on 6/13/2017 at 10: 08  to MD  it should be 3 Days

when tracking it's telling me it's 4 days.  So check this out here is the tracking number: 

Tracking Number: 9505514387728164251021

Last couple of months UPSP is NOT showing me where the packing is at, jut the words " on the way to destination" .   And always late one or two days even when I ship it proptly.  Who can I talk to in USPS ?  without getting the runarounds. 

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Oh my God! About Ohio - I shipped a letter to Cincinnati, OH by Priority Mail. I waited two (!!) weeks for delivery - in this time my letter has been to six distribution centers 🙂 I didn't care too much because it wasn't so important but 2 weeks? But usually I don't have a problem with OH. I love shipping to FL. I'm a little bit scared of CA, but mostly my packages there goes in 2 days (first class mail). I never shipped to Utah but I ordered many things from Utah and never had a problem.  Always get in 3 days.

Three weeks ago I shipped a package to customer living 10 miles from me (Chicago). Should get it next day. Next day it was in distirbution center 2 miles from her and should get a post office, but no. They kept a package a week (!) - they departed it when I called to USPS and opened a case. Facebook says it's the worst distribution center in USA. 

I'm scared of NY city. I read that they can keep packages very long time. And I never shipped to Alaska - I hope no need. No problem with Hawaii. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

it happens..it does and will again.. Remember everyone...the packages are handles by a machine..conveyor belts, scanned by machines..sorted into piles...etc... so most packages don't actually feel the hands or eyes of a person along the way...untill it is too late and yes some end up going to the wrong place....

KEEP THIS IN MIND.... before computer, before scanning  and updates...WE put stuff in the mail and NEVER knew where it went...just hoping we got a phone call or letter saying they got it...if that!.....bills were mailed....and did we know when and if they company got them? nope...we assumed..untill there was an issue with a bill....SO yes it can and does happen....and with any and all shippers...there are thousands and thousands of packages/mail....so just because you have one...do you think it doesn't happen to anyone else?...call USPS open a case..they'll motivate it to the right place...and that's what counts....the rest of ebay rules...i don't bother with it...it just happens... call ebay CS see what they will do....but again....expect it to happen ... follow up with CS....shippers and/or ebay....

Exactly.  There is zero reason to worry.  I've had many packages get misrouted accidentally and each and every one of them ended up delivered just fine without me needing to do anything.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@deborasatticstore wrote:

I ship from Columbus Ohio.  This week  I maild a box on 6/13/2017 at 10: 08  to MD  it should be 3 Days

when tracking it's telling me it's 4 days.  So check this out here is the tracking number: 

Tracking Number: 9505514387728164251021

Last couple of months UPSP is NOT showing me where the packing is at, jut the words " on the way to destination" .   And always late one or two days even when I ship it proptly.  Who can I talk to in USPS ?  without getting the runarounds. 

Don't see anything to talk to USPS about.  In possession, departed, in transit, expected delivery tomorrow.  Tomorrow it should show arrival, out for delivery, delivered. Looks like typical package progression.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

My package is in NJ right now. Still not NY but much closer 🙂 

My packages are misrouted often 🙂 My package to AZ visited every post office (5) in NM before delivery. But it was close too. 

My friend is a winner, I think. She shipped a package - no update 5 days. The buyer was mad because there was  only an info "USPS waits". Her post office lost her package.  No receipt. Finally, after 5 days first scan in local distribution center. The package insted of CA was shipped to FL. Later visited 8 different states 🙂 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply