cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it that China gets TWO MONTHS before they can have an INR case open?

Yet the rest of us lowly peasants have a few weeks? China doesn't get enough benefits? They should be forced to play by the same rules as the rest of us. TWO MONTHS as the earliest delivery estimate, is just ridiculous nonsense. After 2 months, I bet some people just forget they bought something in the first place, once it's shoved to the end of the purchase pages.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@leadgard9 

An INR cannot be filed until after the last estimated delivery date. If you want your estimated delivery to be sixty days (why?) you can adjust your handling time and pick a slow delivery option as your default. Then your potential buyers will assume you, too, are shipping from China rather than your listed item location and smart shoppers will avoid buying your items.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

@leadgard9 

An INR cannot be filed until after the last estimated delivery date. If you want your estimated delivery to be sixty days (why?) you can adjust your handling time and pick a slow delivery option as your default. Then your potential buyers will assume you, too, are shipping from China rather than your listed item location and smart shoppers will avoid buying your items.

Yeah, except Chinese sellers are flooding the search results, and their ratings are much better, because they are never late and their handling time is short, which puts them even higher in search. I'd have to extend my handling time for the full 30 days, and that STILL wouldn't give me the amount of time the Chinese sellers get. Even if I quote the cheapest shipping method, and the full 30 days handling time, the buyer is allowed to open a case sooner than they can with Chinese sellers. Sorry, I don't agree with what you said.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@leadgard9 

Even if I quote the cheapest shipping method, and the full 30 days handling time, the buyer is allowed to open a case sooner than they can with Chinese sellers.

I do not understand the benefit you intend to gain by delaying shipping time to prevent buyers from opening an INR.

Most US sellers see their nearness to their customers as a benefit, rather than as the detriment you apparently view it as.

Chinese sellers are flooding the search results, and their ratings are much better, because they are never late and their handling time is short, which puts them even higher in search.

Chinese sellers are not a monolithic block, but many individuals. As a whole they have some advantages over US sellers, notably subsidized shipping costs; they often also take advantage of economies of scale and proximity to manufacturing to provide low prices. But while quoting long shipping times my prevent some INR claims from being filed and forestall some bad feedback, in most cases buyers actually prefer shorter shipping times and will seek out sellers that can provide that. While delivering on time helps rankings, long delivery estimates hurt rankings. There are trade offs.

Ultimately, search ranking depends almost entirely on the individual buyer's chosen sort order and search preferences; some buyers sort by lowest price, but others sort by nearest first or newly listed. Some buyers limit their search to a particular price range, or use other criteria to weed out sellers. Many, many buyers in the US go to great lengths to filter out sellers shipping from overseas.

Use your proximity to your customer base as a strategic advantage, rather than focusing on the short term tactic of preventing your customers from filing INR cases.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Handling time...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@gre-5126 wrote:

Handling time...

Pretty sure, that as soon as a label is printed, or maybe at first scan, the estimated delivery date changes? At least from my experience. Either way, even with the max handling time, they still get WAY more time to deliver an item than we do.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

@leadgard9 

Even if I quote the cheapest shipping method, and the full 30 days handling time, the buyer is allowed to open a case sooner than they can with Chinese sellers.

I do not understand the benefit you intend to gain by delaying shipping time to prevent buyers from opening an INR.

Most US sellers see their nearness to their customers as a benefit, rather than as the detriment you apparently view it as.

Chinese sellers are flooding the search results, and their ratings are much better, because they are never late and their handling time is short, which puts them even higher in search.

Chinese sellers are not a monolithic block, but many individuals. As a whole they have some advantages over US sellers, notably subsidized shipping costs; they often also take advantage of economies of scale and proximity to manufacturing to provide low prices. But while quoting long shipping times my prevent some INR claims from being filed and forestall some bad feedback, in most cases buyers actually prefer shorter shipping times and will seek out sellers that can provide that. While delivering on time helps rankings, long delivery estimates hurt rankings. There are trade offs.

Ultimately, search ranking depends almost entirely on the individual buyer's chosen sort order and search preferences; some buyers sort by lowest price, but others sort by nearest first or newly listed. Some buyers limit their search to a particular price range, or use other criteria to weed out sellers. Many, many buyers in the US go to great lengths to filter out sellers shipping from overseas.

Use your proximity to your customer base as a strategic advantage, rather than focusing on the short term tactic of preventing your customers from filing INR cases.

The problem is, buyers, are quick to buy, and slow to read. The amount of buyers I've had, that open returns for reason that are CLEARLY spelled out, in multiple locations on my listing, is absurd. Simple things. Blatant things.

"hey, I'm sorry, I thought this was for mens", when my title literally says ladies. Yet you expect them to pay attention to shipping time? I put handling time on my items, and buyers are up in arms a few days later, because I haven't shipped out, despite handling showing 5, 10 or even 20. 80% of the time I have extended handling, I have people complaining I haven't shipped yet. So, I highly doubt they notice the chinese sellers shipping times, or even bother to notice it's from China.

My gripe, comes with international shipping. I'm not concerned about Americans buying from China.  So the people buying from me, might actually be closer to China than to me. Sometimes international takes a long time, but ebay gives absurdly low estimates, which allows buyers to open INR cases right away, and because there could be a gap between scans once it leaves the country, the buyer can push the case and get ebay to decide against me, and I can't do anything about it once the item appears.

And feedback? Chinese sellers are given such a long shipping estimate, that by the time the delivery estimate date comes up, it's already too late to leave feedback.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@leadgard9 

My gripe, comes with international shipping. I'm not concerned about Americans buying from China. So the people buying from me, might actually be closer to China than to me. Sometimes international takes a long time, but ebay gives absurdly low estimates, which allows buyers to open INR cases right away, and because there could be a gap between scans once it leaves the country, the buyer can push the case and get ebay to decide against me, and I can't do anything about it once the item appears.

That is an entirely valid concern I had not considered.

It may also be the case the your Chinese competitors have similar complaints about their non-US buyer shipping estimates -- I do not know how eBay's shipping estimates compare outside of the US. My suspicion is that many sellers all over the world think that eBay is too quick to side with buyers over sellers in similar sorts of cases.

In any event, regardless of how eBay treats its Chinese sellers, you have a valid concern about eBay's low estimated shipping time for your international orders.

Your other points about buyers not reading item descriptions are also well taken, and I suspect, also shared by many sellers on these boards.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You can't really compare shipping delivery estimates of China with the US based on the shipping services we have available to us. Our delivery estimates are based on the carrier service you  choose.  China and other international countries have many options including freight and sea options.  Because they are international sellers they are allowed to these extended shipping times due to their country's carrier services.    Of course when the seller has a 60 day estimated shipping  time it falls off your purchase page after 60 days.  The buyer is outside of the 60 day period to leave feedback  as well.    I don't know what shipping times are available for international sales anymore as I only sell domestically and stopped international sales  years ago.  The only international sales I have are through freight forwarders.  I noted that the longest handling period we had available was 30 days. 

The shipping time estimates for international sales are based on whatever carrier services they use in their country.     I have seen some that are well over two months.  Coupled with a 30 day handling period it's entirely conceivable that they could extended shipping estimates even beyond 60 days.  When I buy small items from China with extended delivery estimates I use the option to see all my purchases for the past year as opposed to the last 60 days to make sure I get my item.   You realize that buyers are electing to purchase from these sellers.  I imagine some of those buyers aren't paying attention to the estimated delivery times.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply