cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I started Using For Recycled Packaging

Since I have an abundance of eBay shipping boxes and envelopes, I decided to get these awhile back and have been using them in case anyone doesn't like recycled packaging.

I've never rec'd a complaint about my recycled packaging, clean and odorless and not often used, but read a post where a buyer complained about the condition of the reused packaging, so to be safe, started using these.

I like!

Anyone else using them?

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

   

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What I started Using For Recycled Packaging

@stuff4divas,

I kind of love those!  It's the type of thing where you can't please everyone.   As long as the packaging is clean & decent looking and doesn't look like your dog's chew toy, I think most people should be okay with it. I also think it depends on what kind of item you are selling.

I sell mostly used books and I have been using recycled boxes for over 20 years, 4000+ fb and not a single complaint!  I even put a sentence in my book lot listings that I use "clean & sturdy recycled boxes."  So buyers know what to expect. I use the best boxes I can find but let's face it, a used box will not look brand new. Some of them have writing that I cover  up with brown tape. ...I pack really well, so buyers often mention that aspect.  When I sell a really valuable book, expensive, I do buy a new box for that.

But I have been buying brand new bubble mailers & it costs me a small fortune. I have so many new looking mailers from Amazon... I would love to use those!  I can't pass them off as new as my bldg. puts my apt. # in black marker, on each package.  But with the recycled stickers, I would be more comfortable using them & it would save me a ton, esp. now with sales & profits at an all-time low.

Where did you get those?   I see some cute recycled stickers on Ebay, but not the ones you have.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Great idea.

For what I sell buyers are likely not offended by reused/recycled packaging.

Good that it has gone well for you.

Yes, we have seen posts where some are offended by the reuse of materials. Could be because of what they were purchasing, or just the way some people are. Retentive. (cannot use the rest of the phrase)

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

People being offended probably has more to do with their politics than the actual packaging.  Some may even be triggered by seeing the labels pointing out what you are doing.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

Anyone else using them?  

I understand the good intent but I would not use them myself. I think they draw attention to the fact that the packaging has been used and handled by someone else beyond what was necessary to get the package to the current buyer. I suspect some buyers will be a little squeamish about that even if they should not be.

I need to be clear here that I reuse padded envelopes and boxes all the time in my selling account. But I dont use them if they are not clean and undamaged enough for the average recipient to assume that whatever wear and tear IS showing was probably sustained on the way to him personally. So in other words I would not use those stickers because the package itself will not need explaining.

(Actually I do sometimes turn boxes inside out and reglue the side seam if its a really useful size but has too much other markings on the outside. Obviously the buyer will see that but I think my workmanship and the rest of the packaging will speak for itself. No complaints yet.)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@stuff4divas,

I kind of love those!  It's the type of thing where you can't please everyone.   As long as the packaging is clean & decent looking and doesn't look like your dog's chew toy, I think most people should be okay with it. I also think it depends on what kind of item you are selling.

I sell mostly used books and I have been using recycled boxes for over 20 years, 4000+ fb and not a single complaint!  I even put a sentence in my book lot listings that I use "clean & sturdy recycled boxes."  So buyers know what to expect. I use the best boxes I can find but let's face it, a used box will not look brand new. Some of them have writing that I cover  up with brown tape. ...I pack really well, so buyers often mention that aspect.  When I sell a really valuable book, expensive, I do buy a new box for that.

But I have been buying brand new bubble mailers & it costs me a small fortune. I have so many new looking mailers from Amazon... I would love to use those!  I can't pass them off as new as my bldg. puts my apt. # in black marker, on each package.  But with the recycled stickers, I would be more comfortable using them & it would save me a ton, esp. now with sales & profits at an all-time low.

Where did you get those?   I see some cute recycled stickers on Ebay, but not the ones you have.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

thank u @legalbeagle52  for the uplifting reply 🤗

i got them from eBay shipping supplies using my quarterly shipping discount from having a store

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@stuff4divas ,

Thanks for letting me know.  I had a feeling you were going to say something like that.  I don't get ebay shipping supplies, but ebay does have some nice recycled stickers listed.  I'm going to get them when I get my listings back up again soon. 

Great idea ...  glad that I checked the boards today.  Thanks.  😊

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@legalbeagle52 

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.52.12 AM.png

 Just now,

also everybody, don't forget to use your shipping supplies allotment by Dec 31st

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Great idea.

For what I sell buyers are likely not offended by reused/recycled packaging.

Good that it has gone well for you.

Yes, we have seen posts where some are offended by the reuse of materials. Could be because of what they were purchasing, or just the way some people are. Retentive. (cannot use the rest of the phrase)

@buyselljack2016    🤗

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@stuff4divas 

I swear those weren't up when I looked before!  🙂  Not a listing in sight...

Now there are several listings. 

A little pricey, but still worth it, if I don't have to keep buying bubble mailers!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply