cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird omission when printing USPS shipping label

Just a couple of days ago I noticed when I print out a USPS Priority Mail label, the big letter "P" that appears in the upper left box of the label does not print out. That box is completely blank. I'm talking about the "P" that appears here in this screenshot:

Screenshot 2023-08-06 202952.png

However, if I download the label and open it in Acrobat Reader, it prints fine. Furthermore, labels for USPS Ground Advantage print normally with the "G" appearing when printing from the ebay interface.

I can always download and open the label in Acrobat Reader but that's a couple of extra steps I would rather avoid if possible. This problem just popped up a couple of days ago.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome on Windows 10 with a Rollo thermal printer.

Thanks for any help with this.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Weird omission when printing USPS shipping label

Temporarily disable any browser extensions you might have installed, as they can interfere with the printing process. Try printing the label without any extensions enabled to see if the "P" appears.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I had a similar problem with one of my recent Priority labels. The scan graphic to the right of the "P" was not showing. When I took it to the Post Office they stated it was missing and they could not scan it with the POS unit. I shrugged and said, this is what printed. The POS told the clerk to scan this graphic and not the bar code. They did scan the bar code manually with their handheld scanner accepted, but I was curious what the deal was on why it did not print as I had no issues with the rest of the label generated. Anyone?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Avoid this and the extra steps by setting your browser to open PDF files with Adobe and not use it's built in reader.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

I was curious what the deal was on why it did not print as I had no issues with the rest of the label generated. Anyone? 

Layers. That (new version of the) label is cobbled together from several layers laying on top of each other 

xaxa59_0-1691437553548.jpeg

and unless all the layers are printed, some parts of the label won't appear.

Like a PB&J sandwich, with both the PB and the J layers missing, so you only get the two slices of plain bread.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I observe the same thing when printing a Priority label in PirateShip - the big "P" does not print.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@dsonny wrote:

I observe the same thing when printing a Priority label in PirateShip - the big "P" does not print.

As suggested above, adjust your browser preferences to open PDF files with Acrobat instead of your browser's built-in reader. That solves the majority of label printing issues that aren't stemming from the printer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am aware I can open PDF files with Acrobat but I would rather use the browser reader instead. I also think this is just a very strange issue since it happened suddenly and it only happens with Priority labels.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Most built in browser readers are not kept up to date nor universally compatible, especially with the ebay PDF format for thermal printers and the thermal printer driver.   This usually isn't a problem for regular printers, but can be for special printers like your Rollo.

If you don't want your browser defaulted to Adobe, set it to ask which reader to use prior to printing instead.  You also may find your Chrome reader has a setting that will correct the problem as well, possibly the print background setting.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Whatever the problem was, it has been resolved and the "P" is now printing properly.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You may see the issue come and go as the browser undergoes updates over time.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply