cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Postal Union

Ebay want us to stay in the Universal Postal Union, but from what I understand this is what allows Chinese sellers to ship to the U.S.A for way less than we can ship domestically or even internationally.

This also seems to work for the U.K who offer items with very low shipping thus competing with many US E-Commerce sellers.

If this stops China and others from getting super low shipping that we can't compete with I'm all for leaving.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Universal Postal Union

@anthology-of-treasures wrote:

The 1969 amendment to the UPU DID NOT create cheap Chinese shipments.

Where were these packages from 1969 to 2009?

eBay was the driving force behind a 2010 trilateral agreement between eBay, the Chinese postal system (China Post), and the U.S. postal system (USPS). eBay officials attended the ceremony that celebrated the signing of the agreement, including Jeff Liao, CEO for eBay's Greater China and head of eBay's Asia-pacific cross-border trade. Liao is quoted as saying "The collaboration will make the most of the advantages of the three while helping expand eBay's profits".

Three clarifications:

1. The cheap Chinese shipments have been available since the UPU agreement in 1969 ... yes, they've always been around, but they are not trackable packages.
  2. eBay's trilateral agreement was for a new ePacket service ... the ePacket is a cheap "tracked" shipment.   The ePacket costs slightly more than the regular untracked packages in the UPU agreement.
  3. The USPS wasn't really having a loss (or much of a loss) with these kinds of shipments up until about 3-4 years ago when the shipments from China started to explode in volume.  Now, I believe it is a huge drain on USPS profits.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The cheap Chinese shipments have been available since the UPU agreement in 1969 ... yes, they've always been around, but they are not trackable packages.

The only part of China manufacturing items for the West in 1969 and for years to come was British Hong Kong. They made made a lot of cheap toys and other low cost items for department stores. I am selling some of those now. The vast majority of these items (99.9999999%) were not shipped via USPS, but on cargo ships and cargo container ships. Being a stamp collector since 1976 I've only seen a hand full of letters, no packages, sent from Hong Kong during this time period that originally contained cheap merchandise, such a single sample necklace for U.S. buyer, and they all used standard Hong Kong postage stamps and letter rates.

eBay's trilateral agreement was for a new ePacket service ... the ePacket is a cheap "tracked" shipment. The ePacket costs slightly more than the regular untracked packages in the UPU agreement.

What we have here is a company misusing a program intended to help poor people to line its own pocket instead; destroy American jobs by dumping Chinese goods in the US., and colluding with a enemy foreign government which has already killed thousands of our servicemen in Korea and which has killed tens of millions of its own people.

The UPU or the 1969 amendment does not make eBay do anything!

The USPS wasn't really having a loss (or much of a loss) with these kinds of shipments up until about 3-4 years ago when the shipments from China started to explode in volume. Now, I believe it is a huge drain on USPS profits.

What nonsense!

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2015/RARC-WP-16-003.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.12.05 PM.png

This article announces eBay's new agreement in May of 2010. That means it was actually used for only short period of time in 2010 and by few sellers. The first full year it was used we see profits of $53 swing to loses of $36. Its now at at $300 million per year according the article below.

https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2010/pr10_058.htm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-made-the-right-call-to-withdraw-from-the-universal-pos...

It has been a money loser from the start! Any one with even a tiny bit of business sense would know this was a very bad idea.

It was a scam sold to U.S. tax payers by:

1. A U.S. Congress bought and paid for with political contributions by companies like eBay. They should be voted out.

2. Dysfunctional USPS management who should not only be fired but be banned from ever holding a federal job again. The same managment that ran a program that bought manager's homes who were forced to move because of a job change only to sell those homes at huge loses.

3. eBay. They should have their current USPS discounts terminated until they repay USPS for these loses.

ITS A SCAM ON THE AMERICAN PUBLIC!

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@anthology-of-treasures wrote:

The USPS wasn't really having a loss (or much of a loss) with these kinds of shipments up until about 3-4 years ago when the shipments from China started to explode in volume. Now, I believe it is a huge drain on USPS profits.

What nonsense!

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2015/RARC-WP-16-003.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.12.05 PM.png

Your table is letters, not packages.

I wasn't trying to imply that these package shipments have not been a losing proposition ... my intent was to say that it has gone from a leak to a major drain in the last few years because of the explosion of ecommerce shipments from China.   That is why it is now on everyone's radar.

Regardless, I think we all agree that it needs to be stopped.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@orangehound

@anthology-of-treasures 

@ all others

Just for your the record the expansion of Chinese goods into the US marker (and other countries in our started well before 2010 and before anyone could spell eBay or Amazon or any other on line selling venue.  Just to cite  an example  or  two, companies in the retail B & M stores thrived and  rapidly expanded by offering Chinese  items - Dollar Tree Stores - started in 1993, Dollar General - 1967.  Combined they  have almost 30,000 outlets - and both took a  bite out of Wal-Mart.

Chinese  product were accepted on the west  coast  both consumer  products & industrial/heavy equipment.    A very good friend of mine in the LA area - named P. Wang  tried to get me to come to LA and sell his lines of Chinese.  I liked & trusted him a lot but no way  did I ever want to live in LA.  My  sales activities  in Georgia started in 1996.  I readily discovered that the Chinese  had a very  large presence here - the air port & proximity to major inbound ports -Chinese  products were in warehouses every where I turned.

Their rapid  growth to be was very much parallel to  the acceptance of Japanese products starting in the 1969.

eBay, Amazon just gave the Chinese another avenue to further penetrate the US & other significant market places.

Just as a side note Mitusubishi (forklift  manufacturing group) had a plant in China making products under the Mitsubishi name in  1992.  They  sold their old tooling to the Chinese so they could produce a almost look a like.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Just for your the record the expansion of Chinese goods into the US marker (and other countries in our started well before 2010 and before anyone could spell eBay or Amazon or any other on line selling venue. Just to cite an example or two, companies in the retail B & M stores thrived and rapidly expanded by offering Chinese items - Dollar Tree Stores - started in 1993, Dollar General - 1967. Combined they have almost 30,000 outlets - and both took a bite out of Wal-Mart.

It seems the only responses certain people post consist of misdirection and half truths.

Sorry, but that is wrong on so many counts.

Chinese goods were imported into the U.S. from British Hong Kong decades before that. You mean to tell me you've not picked up and examined 1960s to 1980s toys made in British Hong Kong? Or the millions of other cheap products typically made for dime stores. I recall seeing those in the local Ben Franklin still into the 1980s. Some of these are quite funny do to mistranslations of English . Other packages show illustrations of caucasian children in western clothing children playing with toy but having oriental eyes.

I guess you missed my other post or posts pointing this out before. Of course that is common knowledge.

The company renamed Dollar Tree was formed in 1953.

The company later named Dollar General originated in 1939.

Neither of these companies began importing items from Mainland Communist China until China was granted membership to the WTO, granted most favored trading status and given other benefits clearly unwarranted by their horrible human rights record. The public was told by politicians that the added prosperity would mellow out the Chinese government. Anyone with any common sense knows it would only lead to a more controlling police state. The real reason the politicians granted these privileges was so that their corporate masters could benefit from setting up companies there. Like eBay's management these company CEOs were only interested in generating short term profits and getting their bonuses and stock optiions, while long term they were giving away the store to the Chinese.

Mao is infamously credited with saying that the last capitalist we hang will be the one that sells us the rope.

None of the store chains buying items from British Hong Kong in the 1960s through the early 1970s were importing goods from Mainland Red China. The government of mainland China was too busy killing off millions of its own people. They were also too busy invading Tibet and committing crimes against humanity as a way to ethnically cleanse Tibet and replace the population with Chinese occupiers. Perhaps you should ask the 800,000 to 1 million Chinese Uighurs now in death camps how they feel about the Chinese government mellowing out with new found wealth.

Chinese product were accepted on the west coast both consumer products & industrial/heavy equipment. A very good friend of mine in the LA area - named P. Wang tried to get me to come to LA and sell his lines of Chinese. I liked & trusted him a lot but no way did I ever want to live in LA.

I am utterly shocked. The Chinese make so called industrial / heavy equipment. They also make asbestos brake pads that cause cancer, drywall that makes home owners sick, pet food that kills pets, illegal drugs that kill tens of thousands of Americans and host of other unsafe products. I certainly wouldn't buy any Chinese heavy equipment. I like the good old American made tools that after 100 years still are going strong. My oldest vehicile is a 1940 Ford with its original V8 motor.

My sales activities in Georgia started in 1996. I readily discovered that the Chinese had a very large presence here - the air port & proximity to major inbound ports -Chinese products were in warehouses every where I turned.

My sales started in 1976 when I bought and resold stamps at a profit as a kid.

But these products were shipped on container ships and not shipped via USPS using a UPU program intended to help poor people. The importation of these products didn't cause USPS huge loses so that eBay could line its own pockets. Stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

Their rapid growth to be was very much parallel to the acceptance of Japanese products starting in the 1969.
eBay, Amazon just gave the Chinese another avenue to further penetrate the US & other significant market places.

Smiley Happy

Japanese products were imported into the U.S. well before WWII. For a time both China and Japan were closed to the outside world until they fond out during the 19th Century how behind they were. both started sending students to the U.S. & Europe in the 1860s and 1870s to learn Western technology.

There was a slight pause during the war. They began to be imported again almost immediately after war ended. Haven't you seen the millions and millions of items marked "Occupied Japan" before? Lefton China, for instance, was already importing items by 1946. Some of those Japanese tin toys were hand made from discarded tin cans from American troops and were sold as cheap toys at the time, but which are now highly desirable.

Just as a side note Mitusubishi (forklift manufacturing group) had a plant in China making products under the Mitsubishi name in 1992. They sold their old tooling to the Chinese so they could produce a almost look a like.

Smiley Very Happy

The Chinese let you setup a plant in their country under the guise of doing long term business and expanding your company. You are forced to partner with a Chinese firm. Chinese firm learns your manufacturing techniques, steal your IP, and you are forced to sign over IP to Chinese firms to do business in China. Yuor company starts to have problems with Chinese "regulations" to force you out of business. The Chinese cookie cutter approach to business theft is common knowledge.

Chinese agents were even caught even stealing seeds from unmarked test fields in my state so they could avoid spending billions on research and decades of time. China has established the world's largest theft ring of IP ever seen.

You might want to watch the film China Blue. Its about two underage girls who venture from the country into a city were they sew jeans for pennies a hour.  One is certainly to have less production costs when the government and the company you work for are the same; workers are slaves of the state and have no rights; and you don't have to follow environmental laws that would get you quickly shut down in the West.

"the acceptance of Japanese products starting in the 1969."  is a great punch line for a joke.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Actually that is not correct, if a seller ships over a container of products then they have to be shipped within the US to buyers which means they have to pay USPS to get it from wherever their warehouse is to the end buyer.

So that involves customs clearance fees as well as warehousing.

What is not correct?

Wal-Mart buys a cargo container full of widgets. It arrives at a port in the U.S. and goes through customs. The sealed cargo container is delivered to a Wal-Mart warehouse. The widgets are then distributed to various Wal-Mart stores as needed via semi truck. Some widgets are shipped directly to customer's homes via USPS and other shipping companies. Wal-Mart is paying domestic USPS rates that USPS has determined will cover their costs.  USPS is not forced to accept shipping fees that are below cost.

What is actually happening is they ship right out of China one order at a time and it's very cheap for them to do this. My son collects anime figures and I've seen giant boxes arrived where they've charged just a few dollars.

The price they charge or effectively do not is incredibly low.

I've read several posts by the poster you are replying to specifically complaining about the UPU and goods being shipped directly from the China. The poster you are replying to has also said that he or she was part of a grass roots campaign to contact Trump's White House to do something about this. Yet you create a post stating that the poster you are replying to does know anything about it and that you must somehow correct them.

We sell on multiple platforms including "Jeff's little online store"

I've seen items being offered out of the UK to the USA for $1.99 shipping and many out of China for free shipping.

It shouldn't be possible, only the UPU allows this and it needs fixing.

No, actually it is several more things.

Many companies in China are in owned by the government. Many others are technically companies in that they issue stock, but this is owned all by former military and civilian leaders. All other companies must do exactly what the government says. The Chinese government subsidizes its post office. This is part of China's long term plan to dump goods into foreign markets, even at a loss for years, in order to destroy foreign industry.

China's massive theft of IP. If you don't have to invest billions and years of time into developing products, just steal the IP the you can make cheaper products.

China's citizens have no real rights. China employs a huge nation wide force of police and military units whose sole job is to put down any public demonstrations. Are you going to complain about your wages when that can get you sent a reeducation camp? Maybe you simply disappear?

Lack of environmental laws. Each years tens of thousand of Chinese die simply because they live next to a stream that has been used for industrial waste disposal. Then of course there is the air pollution.

But then why are you stating even stating this is the first place since the poster you are replying to has already said this and much more about the subject.

What is the real point of this fake rebuttal?

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Just for the record, there are a ton of web sites and Apps that sell items from China at ridiculously low prices. My wife buys things from an App where she can buy things shipped from China for less than it would cost to go to a US store and buy the same item off the shelf. That includes the price of the item and shipping it here. This problem is a lot bigger than eBay. eBay may have worked the deal in 2010 but until China has to pay realistic shipping prices to the US this will be a problem for everyone in the US who ships with USPS. There's just no way it should be possible for a Chinese company to ship one item at a time to the US cheaper than it is for us to buy it at a local store.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply