cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS sending to Mail recovery center, then stating unrecoverable. 2 this month.

Is anyone else having this issue with USPS this month. We have had two that have not been returned to us & this latest one was sent to the mail recovery center. We use 4X6 stick on labels and I tape clear tape across the address.  It states that it could not be delivered or returned.   This is getting to be an issue.  With Ground Advantage it is supposed to have $100 insurance. Every time you try to file for your valued item it kicks back with an error.

We do everything we can to insure good products and good service.  

Is anyone else having an issue?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

So, I received a letter today from the Postal service.  My package had been found open and with the label attached. I received a letter as well as the label. But, all contents are gone. I know need to file to try and retrieve my product or file a claim since Ground Advantage has $100. Coverage.

Now the weird part; I wrap my products in tissue paper currently eBay brand tissue paper, tape it and add Thank you stickers. I also tape the package down on the back flap.  This is a total mystery.

I still have not received the other return now 10 days later that was a return from USPS.

So, we will see where this leads.

Keep watch, keep tracking.

Have a good night.

The mystery is finding out who at the USPS opened your package and kept what was in it for themselves. That's the total mystery. 

I've received a letter in a plastic bag from the USPS, years ago. One of their machines shredded the envelope and the letter inside, but they still delivered it to me inside their own plastic bag with a note from them stating that it had been inadvertently shredded. 

I presume your package could have been inadvertently damaged and that caused it to open, but the contents would still be there, even if damaged; and, it would all either be delivered to your buyer with a note about the damage or returned to you with same. I smell a thief. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

What error do they give for kicking it back?    There is a requirement to wait a certain number of days before submitting a claim.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

A post office employee once told me not to tape across the address, because it makes a flash when the mail equipment tries to read the address, making the address unreadable by the equipment. I always just tape the edges of the label, not covering the address. Don't know if that is what is going on with you.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

A post office employee once told me not to tape across the address, because it makes a flash when the mail equipment tries to read the address, making the address unreadable by the equipment. I always just tape the edges of the label, not covering the address. Don't know if that is what is going on with you.

This is not true. I tape over every inch of the label, barcode included, and all of my packages get scanned just fine.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Way back when some of the hand held scanners were a bit temperamental about reading labels because of the reflections. 

Does not seem that is a great problem anymore. Certainly not enough of a problem to cause the item to be ------------"not delivered or returned"

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I tape over the label but leave a 1/4" portion of the bar code untaped. A carry over of recommendations given by a USPS postmaster when USPS scanners were lower quality than they are today.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I never once  had any USPS  employee  tell to never tape  over the  shipping  address  .  They  told me they want it covered  to protect it .

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

So far I haven't  had   any   package's   shipped to me ,sent  to the GA.  USPS Mail recovery  . I have been asking  sellers  I buy from  if can  ship  Priority  mail  ,UPS or FedEx    instead of Ground Advantage .      I did have  a package  that did end up  in  Ga.   USPS   mail  recovery   and was located there  about  4 months  after  the INR  I filed  got  refund  and   seller  got the insurance  . It just should  up. no damage to the shipping  label  and a letter in the box from USPS.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

There is one case I can think of where you should NEVER tape over a label - if you are using thermal labels.

Tape will speed up the deterioration of the label, and may make the label unreadable. Worse as the temperature increases.

With the QR codes on the label, I can think of no reason why anything should go to the Mail Recover Center unless the label is truly unreadable.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I agree with you.   After  getting    package back   , USPS agent at the DC HQ.  and the other here in Ca. 6TH district  office  consumer  service.  both could  not explain why it was  sent  to GA.   recovery  USPS    and nor the letter stating  label not readable ,when it was just fine .

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I didn't get a reason. I was tracking it,  because it hadn't been delivered. I was not notified, and I was the one who found out they did this two days after mailing the package.  When I reached out to USPS I was told they will be back with me in 3 to 5 business days.  I have already refunded my buyer, as neither of us will be receiving the item.  It is very frustrating! The other item was set out to be returned to us on April 6th and we still have not received it.

Beware and watch your tracking.

P.S. They want to raise rates yet again in July! UGH... 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

This past Friday  I was on phone  With the  6th. district  consumer affairs   for southern  Ca.  which handle's   The sorting centers and P.O. s  in my neck of woods  . Discussing  the bouncing of my  package in the tracking scan's . and why  the Package wasn't out of the container  when it should have been sent to the PO  for delivery.   

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I believe that this may be a result of a human being, in error or deliberately.

This is close to an area where postal employees are upset about changes. And chaos is common.

May not be a predictor of future problems.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Hi! Would you mind sharing what response(if any) you got about the packages bouncing? I have a couple coming to me that seem to be stuck between San Fran & Oakland. I hate to bother the sellers about it since it's not their fault, but at the same time I need to watch my "Ebay Guarantee" timer in case they never arrive... Thank you!

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I am getting a letter from the USPS today. So I will keep you posted as to what it states.  But, I watched the P.O. scan it and take it to the back with my other packages. So what happened from there is anyone's guess.  

Message 15 of 26
latest reply