cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Mail: Commercial (Base) vs. Commercial-Plus

It has been awhile since I've sold on eBay and I'm getting back in the game and trying to re-familiarize myself with the USPS shipping tables.  I am trying to update my eBay shipping tables and figure out what I will be paying.  I am in eBay Managed Payments System but I do not have an eBay store. I am no longer a top-rated seller, but I think that distinction went (or will soon go) the way of the dinosaur, anyway.  So I know that I no longer receive the top-rated seller 3% discount on Priority Mail shipping. 

Looking at the current Excel price file (Time-Limited Price Change, October 3 - December 25, 2021), the Priority Mail Commercial (Base) and Priority Mail Commercial Plus rates appear to be essentially identical. (See the Excel tabs labeled "PM Comm Base" and "PM Comm Plus".) 

As far as an eBay seller is concerned, is there any need to distinguish between PM Commercial Base and Commercial Plus, anymore? 

When I ship a package via USPS Priority Mail through eBay, am I now paying the Commercial Base rates?  Or Commercial Plus rates?  Or are they the same, going forward, so no need to make a distinction? (If they will always be the same, going forward, why does USPS maintain both?)

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: USPS Priority Mail: Commercial (Base) vs. Commercial-Plus

Update:  I have found plenty of evidence on the internet that in 2019, USPS merged Commercial Base and Commercial Plus pricing categories into a single category called "Commercial Pricing".

I wonder why USPS still uses the old terminology in their Excel Price Files? 

I wonder why USPS still maintains separate Excel sheets - one for Commercial Base and one for Commercial Plus - for both Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express service (four Excel sheets in total)?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

eBay gives TRS sellers approx 3% discount on Priority which went into effect the same year USPS took away the cost savings with Commercial Plus.

As your'e not TRS, Commercial pricing is all the same to you.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Ok so maybe I am missunderstanding your post, but seem that you are overly worried about what USPS is calling something. Are you building this spreadsheet because you are going to be listing with (not)free shipping?

Why not just use the shipping calculator when you list the items? I am willing to bet, many buyers do know that shipping is not really free. The discount should be there for any eBay seller, eBay is negotiating the rates with USPS on behalf of their sellers.

Unless you are planing to make a huge jump selling, building spreadsheets of rates, seem to a lot of work.

Besides, having the shipping built in, re free shipping, adds another layer of figuring cost for taxes at the end of the year, I would think.

The rate of discounts that eBay gets, may not even be in a published list anyway, so finding what list they use, might be a moot point.

Without digging a little deeper, your last feedback was over a year ago, be aware that sellers that have not sold in the past 90 days, can be treated like new sellers RE the dollar amount or number of listings.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote: ... Why not just use the shipping calculator when you list the items? ... The rate of discounts that eBay gets, may not even be in a published list anyway, so finding what list they use, might be a moot point.....

For shipping labels, eBay charges the regular USPS published Commercial Base price for Priority Mail shipping labels, and the published online (Commercial) rate for First Class packages.  As noted above, Top Rated Sellers used to pay the Commercial Plus rate and when USPS started charging identical prices for Base and Plus, eBay started giving TRS an additional 3% discount.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

I agree that it's rarely  necessary to develop fancy shipping tables; the seller can just set up calculated shipping right in the listing.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@blue_skies150 wrote: ... When I ship a package via USPS Priority Mail through eBay, am I now paying the Commercial Base rates?  Or Commercial Plus rates?  Or are they the same, going forward, so no need to make a distinction? (If they will always be the same, going forward, why does USPS maintain both?) ... 

The prices are currently identical but perhaps USPS wants to reserve the option to separate them again someday.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Ignore
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Are you the OP on a different ID?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

If you have something to add or correct I am all ears, otherwise guess we should ignore your ignore! 🙂

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Comm Plus still exists for Priority Mail.

It costs the same as Comm Base, but it includes the additional $50 in insurance, bringing the total included coverage to $100 instead of just $50.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1063624

a. Insurance coverage is provided against loss, damage, or missing contents and is limited to a maximum liability of $100.00 when the Priority Mail pieces bear an Intelligent Mail package barcode (IMpb) and if the mailer pays Commercial Plus prices.

b. [6-20-21] Insurance coverage is provided against loss, damage, or missing contents and limited to a maximum liability of $50.00 when the Priority Mail pieces bear an IMpb or USPS retail tracking barcode, and the mailer pays retail or Commercial Base prices.

That's why PirateShip's Priority Mail includes $100 of insurance while other places only include $50.

The distinction still exists--just not in pricing. Anyone who tells you the categories "were combined" is oversimplifying to the point of inaccuracy.

--

This is my posting ID.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

in my opinion, do not use USPS and rather prefer UPS over USPS. example 12" x 12 x 12" from NY TO CA 10$ cost for label but if 13"x 12"x12" 2lb from NY TO CA 50$ would be cost for a label, 10$ and then 50$ price grouching, if you ship by UPS its much lower cost approx 65% lower. USPS is robbing people with 3 times increase in rates a year plus over charging sellers. i don't know your selling volume but you may sign a deal with UPS if you are shipping every day over 30 packages at least and you can have better rates directly rather then on ebay. carrier sure does play commission to eBay internally for using their carrier and who pay for it , seller.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply