cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Ground advantage to Hawaii and Alaska

As I suspected, giving parcel post a fancy news name of “ground advantage” does not change the fact that to Alaska and Hawaii could take up to 6 weeks as it travels by boat.  I purchased an item that is now at 4 weeks and no sign of it beyond San Francisco (I am in Hawaii).  As a seller I am not offering any ground advantage and now will be sending out only flat rate priority boxes, which irks me because the smallest still costs $ 10.20.  I am tacking on an additional $5 to the item and charging customer $5 shipping so I am not out any money on a sale.  Just something to be aware of for your Hawaii and Alaska customers.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Not related to Ground Advantage...but this Media Mail shipment to Alaska shocked me.....

from Ohio,...3 business days.....

!ebay-alaska-ship.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

$10.20 is the retail price for the small flat rate box.  If you purchase your postage through eBay, it will cost you $8.10.  That's a pretty good value, considering that the eBay postage for a 2-pound package to Zone 8 via Ground Advantage would be $9.88.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

A few years ago, I had a package going to Hawaii and without even thinking, I shipped it ground.

They must have put that package on a row boat, I didn't think it was ever going to get there.

If you're only going to charge $5 for shipping, there won't be much left after paying shipping and fee's.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I'd be afraid that charging for flat rate priority boxes would price things out of the market.  I have found the small flat rate priority box to be almost useless, because hardly anything fits.  I use a lot of the 7X7X6 boxes that can be ordered free from the USPS.  You could look at what it costs to ship one of those to Alaska and Hawaii at the 1 and 2 pound rates.  I'd be more likely to just block Alaska and Hawaii and continue with Ground Advantage.  I recently learned at the Post Office that even though it is called, "Ground Advantage," it may go by airplane unless it is marked such that it contains something that has to go by ground.  I was given a bunch of stickers to use when I ship something with a rechargeable battery in it.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Ground Advantage, DC to HI, just a couple of weeks ago:

Screenshot_19.png

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

You mention a purchase that's now 4 weeks out.  What was the last estimated delivery date for that package to you in Hawaii?  

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

I called when a customer in HI bought a book and choose media mail. Took 3 or 4 weeks to get there. But here is how I was told it works: The PO has a container for their ground and media items to HI. When it is full, it gets loaded on a ship and shipped over. That being said, I have also had ground items delivered to HI and AK in 2 to 4 days. And I was told here is how that works: PO has a container partial fully of priority items, they will fill with ground and media as the PO is paying basically a dimensional weight to have it transported by air. That also explains why I have GA and media mail items delivered in 2 to 4 days to zone 8.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Not related to Ground Advantage...but this Media Mail shipment to Alaska shocked me.....

from Ohio,...3 business days.....

!ebay-alaska-ship.jpg

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

The service standard switches at 16 ounces.

• 15.99 ounces and under: 2–5-day air service to HI/AK
  • 16 ounces and over: 4–6-week black-hole ocean service to HI/AK

It exactly matches the prior break-point between First Class Package Service (air under 16oz) and Retail Ground / Parcel Select Ground (ocean-boat over 16oz).

https://www.prc.gov/docs/124/124860/Notice%20CP2023-113%20GA%20Supp.pdf

[Previously], the Postal Service indicated that current FCPS offshore service standards would be applied to all USPS Ground Advantage parcels; that is, that all USPS Ground Advantage parcels, including those originating from and those destinating to offshore locations (e.g., Alaska and Hawaii), would receive a service standard of 2-5 days.

Based on further review and assessment of customer needs and operational feasibility, when the new USPS Ground Advantage product is implemented on July 9, 2023, the Postal Service now intends to retain, for parcels that: (1) weigh 1 pound and above, and (2) originate from or destinate to offshore locations, the service standards currently assigned to RG and PSG parcels originating from or destinating to offshore locations.

The only difference from the old FCPS/Ground breakdown is that now it's up the customer to know that there is a massive difference in service standards that triggers at the 1-pound mark.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

I’m going through this right now, my husband sent out a pkg registered ground advantage had tracking just fine from Texas till it supposedly left San Fransisco on a barge on Aug 8 2023 and no sign of it now, tracking just states it’s in transit, I’m being told by at least one USPS it will take a long time since it’s going on a barge, I was thinking it was stolen or lost so I guess there’s still hope, BTW my customer got tired of waiting and I refunded her $1500, I just hope it’s not lost! Thanks for this post to give me at least a little more hope that this pkg. could be coming back my way someday 

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

What makes you think it will be "coming back your way"?

Did you do a package intercept?

And why, oh why would anyone send something of that value via "ground"?

Is that the only option for "registered"?

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I suppose eBay authentication monkies everything up 🤔 with trying to intercept.

INR?  Who would cover that ?

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Amazon shipped me a Wifi Router to my house in Hawaii on Sept 8, 2023 via USPS Ground  Advantage according to shipping tracking details.   Both Amazon and USPS said it was to be delivered by today Sept 16.   Earlier in the week I had a trace done on my package and my local post master called me to let me know it was placed on a barge inside of a shipping container.   She said it will take at least four to eight weeks to arrive.    Obviously Amazon is clueless about the new Ground Advantage Shipping; sure with they would have used their secondary shipping UPS.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

1500 imma spend the extra few bucks to get the transit over asap.

Should have been a priority.

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

Iv seen flat rates be cheaper than Ground Advantage alot more than once..

Shipping from AK priority is pretty much the only one that works out.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply