cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Ground Advantage keeps grossly overcharging with adjustments, and you can`t prevent it!

A couple weeks ago, I got an email that I`ve been charged extra $11 for 2 oz writing pen claiming I used Priority Medium Flat rate I never used (used a bubble poly envelope 9"x6"), but the total weight was 3 oz (still in the up to 4 oz price range, and box itself weights 8-9 oz!). I disputed the overcharge and was refunded. 

A few days after that, I got another "adjustment" for 2.5 oz rubber duck/4 oz weight with poly bag and bubbles claiming that the weight became 1 lb 14 oz! This is just ridiculous! Does USPS check the original accepted weight at a facility when processing the disputes?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: USPS Ground Advantage keeps grossly overcharging with adjustments, and you can`t prevent it!

I'm not sure what is happening to you, but if you use a piece of, for example, a priority mail bubble bag as packing material inside another bag, you can expect that there is going  to be a chance the post office detects this and their policy is to treat that as Priority Mail. Same if you ship something Media Mail that is not eligible. I've seen sellers charged for this in the past.  I used to use recycled priority mail packages as packing material, however once I saw this happening I stopped. I do weigh all my packages before they go out, and the PO is supposed to also record the weight so this should not happen. May be an issue at your PO. If you are having stuff picked up, try taking it to the PO and get the paper receipt, this will have the acceptance weight on it.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Re: USPS Ground Advantage keeps grossly overcharging with adjustments, and you can`t prevent it!

@beautifulbeauty2012 wrote: ... I got another "adjustment" for 2.5 oz rubber duck/4 oz weight with poly bag and bubbles claiming that the weight became 1 lb 14 oz! This is just ridiculous! Does USPS check the original accepted weight at a facility when processing the disputes?

Apparently not.  Especially since a recorded weight is not routine for acceptance scans. 

Usually this type of overcharge error happens because your small item ended up on the scale on top of a larger item.  uSPS has images of the process so that will be evidence to support your claim. As you have seen, they will acknowledge the error and issue a credit. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Nothing Priority was used. The package weight was 2 oz on my scale, and 3 oz on theirs (maybe it was 2.1 oz which is possible). There was no way to fit that Priority box or anything else in that package. Still the same up to 4 oz price.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Most of my packages are small, and I had one adjustment when it was First Class mail-"jumping" from 12 oz to 13 oz (12.1 oz+ costs more). That was possible, so I didn`t even fight that, but now it is grossly overcharged with no possibility of an error on my side. And I don`t know if I am going to get refund for their overcharge this time unless they have a weight from a beginning of a journey. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I had this happen and I just disputed it and sent in the receipt from the original drop off at the PO.

I was refunded.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Ok, so does the individual always get an email/message about this in that case? I've only had one or two adjustments I can remember (in my favor, refunded money for shipping, never up-charged me). I think I remember getting messages about them, b/c I doubt I would have ever noticed otherwise.

Just asking because if I don't get a message/e-mail, I would never know about this.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

You`ll get an email from where you got a label: ebay, Pirate Ship, etc.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Usually this type of overcharge error happens because your small item ended up on the scale on top of a larger item.  uSPS has images of the process so that will be evidence to support your claim. As you have seen, they will acknowledge the error and issue a credit. 

The only time I have ever had this happen was a case of exactly that: someone else's Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope ended up on top of my box. The USPS approved the credit right away.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@beautifulbeauty2012 

It is possible that the flap from your bubble poly envelope did not entirely adhere to YOUR envelope, but had become attached to something heavier, so that when it traveled through the scanner, the weight was picked up from BOTH items -- but only YOU received the notice.

Go ahead and follow up with the dispute -- do it by the email provided, or by the phone number which was also provided (I prefer using the phone number, since I actually was able to speak with a human being, who immediately understood what may have occurred, and who placed a "ticket" on my dispute while I was on the phone with her -- my dispute was settled in my favor within a couple days).

If you're planning to continue using plastic mailers (or ANY open-flap mailers, for that matter), make sure that you tape down ALL the edges of the flap, since the flap can easily lose its adhesive qualities in the shipping process at the USPS Distribution Centers.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

WARNING ABOUT  "SHIPPING ADJUSTMENTS"     I have pages of "Shipping Adjustments"  that are largely **bleep**.  Pure **bleep**.  I send the same items out constantly and do between $50K and $100K every year on eBay.  The so-called cost-adjustments indicated the very same packages were 16 lbs.,  20 lb.s  and other absurd weights when they were all 7 lbs. 8 oz.   I phoned USPS and was told a new automated system was weighing and sending out adjustments on incorrect weight.  "....your machines are making errors and they are essentially stealing my money,"  I told them.   "We'll make a not and file a claim."  Horse hockey.  Dealing with USPS is like any other bureaucracy.   I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer.   They'ver charged me anywhere from $5 to $20 additional costs for the very same packages that all weigh the same.   Automated machines are not accurate and eBay REFUSES to do anything on behalf of its sellers.  They say we have to deal with USPS directly.   What **bleep**.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

It's banging your head against the wall.  They are now using automated machines to weigh packages and grossly making false adjustments.  All of my packages are precisely the same weight with custom packaging and they're claiming a 7 lb. package is 16 lbs,  20 lbs.  and other nonsense.   They're stealing our money and eBay REFUSES to do anything on behalf of the sellers,  saying we have to deal with USPS direclty.   Right !!!  And I'll deal directly with IRS with a phone call telling them they've calculated my taxes incorrectly.  BUREAUCRATS cannot be dealt with - period.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

People doing something wrong. Does the system make mistakes a few times ? Yes. If it's a consistent issue then the seller is doing something wrong.

Adjustment rate for me is less than 1% on 1000s of shipments.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@robbie31415 ,

Based on last years stats I had slightly more than 4 adjustments for every 1,000 packages shipped and the total adjustments were less that $25.00. Not worth the time to spend on it. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

That one with "adjustment" from 4 oz to 1 lb 14 oz has been refunded. I'd think at some point in the beginning of the shipping USPS weighs packages, and that is how they check a log. I doubt (or who knows) that I wrote them "this got to stop" when filing the adjustment made them to refund. I hope it is the former.

Another interesting point: all those packages shipped with Pirate Ship. I print labels via ebay, get them from Posh and Mercari, and so far only those from Pirate Ship (which I love for their customer service and prices) get those "errors".

Message 15 of 23
latest reply