cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS "bill" phishing ?

Got a email back in January from what at least appears to be UPS saying I had a outstanding balance of a few dollars, got another this month then got a robocall on a land line saying we owed $61 to UPS please pay soon.

Did not click the link but logged into our UPS account which we have not actually used in years and found no statements due.

Called UPS and got the absolute worst CSR, could not understand what I was asking and kept insisting on the tracking number.

The emails look legit and reference our login name.

If this is phishing it is very sophisticated using a combination of email and phone attacks

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: UPS "bill" phishing ?

UPS had a data breach last year where customer information was exposed.

This is what they use that stolen data for.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Guaranteed, if you can log into your UPS account and see no balance, that email / message you received is a scam. And yes some are really slick and most companies phone customer support is practically worthless nowadays.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@bashort 

If you used eBay for your UPS labels, and subsequently got an upcharge from UPS, eBay would just take the money from you.  No need to "please pay" or emails would be involved.  I get a lot of supposedly "We tried to deliver your package" spam messages in my email client all the time supposedly from UPS.  

Your report on their CS is correct.  A few months back there was a UPS driver that just dumped a pile of packages (for numerous other addresses) in the front yard of an empty house in our neighborhood and took off.   In an effort to be a good citizen, I tried to report to UPS thinking maybe they would like to send someone around to collect the 20-30 boxes since it was supposed to rain shortly.  I couldn't get past the "what is the tracking number" dude either.  LOL.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

I couldn't get past the "what is the tracking number" dude either.

Well, the tracking number is on each box... 😉

Did you bring them in? What was the final outcome there?

Biggest misdelivery I've ever seen was at my sister's house. Driver had dozens of big boxes all destined for a neighborhood social center on the next block, but somehow concluded that they were supposed to go to my sister's place instead. He dumped them all in front of her house, starting at the porch and going halfway down the front path. (I have a photo around here somewhere...) She called the place identified on the shipping labels, and they very kindly sent over their own truck to collect them.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

On Sunday, I had a private message from an account based in the Russian Federation offering me supposedly great rates on UPS shipping. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@a_c_green 

LOL, yes they had tracking numbers alright.  In this case, a lot of the parcels were addressed to people we knew, so just called them up and told them to come get them.  The rest (about ten or so) I put in my car, and drove them to the UPS store in town the next day and left them there.  

All the while I  wondered if UPS used the same call center service that eBay employs, or even the one that my internet provider does ....LOL.. You can't get past the guy who insists you reset your modem, when their cable is plainly  lying in the road, cut in half, and being run over by traffic.   

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@bashort 

If you used eBay for your UPS labels, and subsequently got an upcharge from UPS, eBay would just take the money from you.  No need to "please pay" or emails would be involved.  I get a lot of supposedly "We tried to deliver your package" spam messages in my email client all the time supposedly from UPS.  

Your report on their CS is correct.  A few months back there was a UPS driver that just dumped a pile of packages (for numerous other addresses) in the front yard of an empty house in our neighborhood and took off.   In an effort to be a good citizen, I tried to report to UPS thinking maybe they would like to send someone around to collect the 20-30 boxes since it was supposed to rain shortly.  I couldn't get past the "what is the tracking number" dude either.  LOL.  

I had originally thought that this was a charge for a UPS ebay label that I had the weight or size incorrect  but had this nagging feeling of something not being right and why would of this not just went through ebay.

Also I checked and the phone that the robo cal went to is not even listed on UPS .

This was a very slick attack and one of the times when it pays to assume that everything is a scam until proven otherwise.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

many of us got that spammer/scammer PM

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

There is a lot of that going on.  I get a lot of   You have a package waiting to be delivered emails   It's an old scam making a comeback.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

There is a lot of that going on.  I get a lot of   You have a package waiting to be delivered emails   It's an old scam making a comeback.

I have gotten many of those also but this was at a whole different level.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@a_c_green 

LOL, yes they had tracking numbers alright.  In this case, a lot of the parcels were addressed to people we knew, so just called them up and told them to come get them.  The rest (about ten or so) I put in my car, and drove them to the UPS store in town the next day and left them there.  

All the while I  wondered if UPS used the same call center service that eBay employs, or even the one that my internet provider does ....LOL.. You can't get past the guy who insists you reset your modem, when their cable is plainly  lying in the road, cut in half, and being run over by traffic.   

My Internet modem went out a couple years ago, so called them and told them it wasn't even coming on and needed it replaced.

The guy had me do all these test which took 30 or 40 minutes and I kept telling him it wasn't coming on.

Finally he says, looks like your modem isn't working and needs replaced.

I said, No Bleep, that's what I told you 30 minutes ago.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I randomly get bills from UPS that I owe them some money for something but since they have an ebay name or a pseudonym and I haven't used UPS for about a decade and a half I just throw those bills away.

I think some seller stiffed them and want to try and get it from me, the buyer.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply