cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Fake tracking number scam still happening

I'm continuing a thread that was closed for whatever reason. EBay stated it had been too long since anyone commented. I don't think two months or whatever is too long, but I digress. The same thing is still happening. I bought two pairs of shorts off of a seller whose profile stated they were in Texas. Eventually a shipping label coming out of New Jersey for 32 lb was uploaded. I bought two of these pairs of shorts as did 60 other people from the same seller. He posted a tracking number with two parts to the shipment. One for 27 lb in one for 32 lb. I know this is a scam and I've already spoken to eBay before the items are even supposed to be here. I want to get ahead of it. I'll be damned if this person gets away with this. This is so easy it's stupid. Why isn't eBay doing anything about these scams?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

fa_8305
Thrill-Seeker

@joppie2661 wrote:

I want to get ahead of it. I'll be damned if this person gets away with this.

If it was a scam @joppie2661 your seller would NOT have provided the tracking numbers. The exploit is to

1. only mark as shipped,

2. upload the tracking a few days after fake delivery,

3. before the eBay deadline when a seller would lose if a request is started.

But if you want to get ahead of the scam, start return requests now, to either escalate or have the return labels ready to scam back the items for a refund.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yeah sorry I have no way of knowing what the parameters of this scam is in neither do you, frankly. This person had three good reviews when I bought the shorts and now they have six or seven bad reviews all saying the same thing. This is a scam. I've already done what you said. I'm pretty good I getting the right thing done in these situations because nothing angers me more then people trying to get something for nothing.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Had the same issue with a hard drive I bought. Seller was new with 30 positive reviews of low-dollar items. I was provided a tracking number, and upon delivery needless to say no package and no Ring notifications. Said the 1 oz hard drive weighed 3.5 pounds. Also said was signed off by a receptionist at a dentist 7 miles from me. I actually went to the dentists office when they opened the next week, and of course they didn’t have a package for me. 

Since then 30+ negative reviews for seller, all from people scammed like me who bought the same hard drive. Clearly the scammer uses low dollar items to build some confidence and then dumps fraud all at one time, is also likely doing this with multiple accounts. The surprising part is eBay seems to be backing the seller because all they can see is delivery to the same zip, and the burden is on me to get a letter from UPS saying the tracking number was not for me. 

They also give the seller the full time to reply per the usual dispute process before I can even talk to anyone. But I’m fully expecting eBay to side with seller based on other frustrated buyers in other posts. 

Im not sure how the seller does it, wonder if they work for UPS or know someone who does. 

Ebay could easily combat this by teaming with UPS to get the actual delivery address, eventually all this fraud by both sellers and buyers will put them out of business. Nobody will want to sell and nobody will want to buy. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I had the same thing happen to me with some pet items I ordered the 23rd of March. I checked my email the next day and said item was delivered at 4.47am. I checked on eBay and shows that item was delivered to me 1 and a half hours after I ordered it?? I check the ups number tracking number and it says I ordered on the 20th, unless I went back in time for a brief moment. I'm be sent an email to the seller and opened a claim with pics and all. I'm so sick of scammers! 😞 I hope you get your refunds as well.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi,

I got a refund along with everyone else who purchased from that seller. I'm pretty sure the chargeback on those account by ebay don't actually have the funds so somebody eats those losses (either Paypal or eBay).  Good luck with your case.  Seems more than obvious that you are due a refund!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. I did get a refund after I appealed, but no justice to the seller. I have pics to show the ups receipt shows that apparently I ordered it 3 days early than what I actually did. In my 17 years on eBay have I ever had ups deliver in 1 and a half hours after I purchased the item. And apparently ups delivered at 4:47 am , by the email that was sent to me.. Oh well I guess it will keep happening to buyers...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply