cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping

Unable to get package to carrier due to icy roads, how do I let eBay and buyer know

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Shipping

eBay knows you haven't shipped the item. Sometimes eBay will excuse late shipments based on weather conditions, but the folks in San Jose who make these decisions have a very uneven record on this, so each seller has to be pro-active in protecting their own interests.

You can go to the transaction record and send a message to explain the situation to each of your buyer(s).

You probably should go to your current active listings and revise your handling time or use the 'Time away" option to block sales or extend your stated handling date so you don't accumulate more late shipping dings.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I had this happen earlier this week - couldn't get to post office + too dangerously cold to shovel to make a path for pickup - so I wrote my customers directly to explain and they were kind and patient. I was able to make it before it was counted as late because I always set my shipping date 4 days out (to allow for "life") - though in general I do ship the next day. but the 4 day allowance I gave myself has been a godsend especially since I live in an area prone to terrible winters 😞

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@kelekt wrote: ... I always set my shipping date 4 days out ... the 4 day allowance I gave myself has been a godsend especially since I live in an area prone to terrible winters 

That's a very practical approach. I'm sure that it significantly reduces the stress in your life, including the need to constantly monitor the weather and road conditions.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

"Unable to get package to carrier due to icy roads, how do I let eBay and buyer know"

eBay will know, and can verify your "icy roads" claims, based on your zip code as a seller.

There is an Announcement dated January 16, 2024, in the Seller News section of these community boards, in which eBay outlines the ways that sellers will be protected if their shipments are delayed by these winter conditions.  

As long as you, the seller, have electricity, you should be able to communicate with your buyer electronically, through eBay messaging, to tell him/her that you are affected by snowy and icy weather, and there will be a delay in sending the item out.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply