cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping changed after item sold

I recently put some token/coins for sale and I was given the option of first class mail for the 1 and 2 oz weight . The envelope was a standard 6x9 and I put .25 thickness. After Item sold the shipping changed to 1 inch think and shipping had been changed to ground advantage at double the cost .

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey @sbabjb . Am I correct in assuming these are the items you could not ship with eBay Standard Envelope (ESE)?

Items: 285636926532, 285636935909, 285636938979, 285636941989

Reason they are not eligible for ESE: Not considered coins. Tokens listed in the Collectibles>Historical Memorabilia>Fraternal Organizations category, not Coins category.

Reason you cannot purchase a First Class Mail label through eBay: it's an untracked service and while you can offer the service through eBay, eBay does not sell postage for untracked services.

Because they do not qualify for ESE and because FC Mail/Letter/Flat cannot be purchased through eBay, the system defaults to the cheapest shipping option available through eBay: Ground Advantage.

If your packages physically qualify you can still ship untracked First Class with stamps or with a label purchased from stamps.com. By doing that you will not have tracking (may or may not impact a seller's Top Rated Seller status) and you will be taking a risk at having to pay out on a non-receipt claim since you have no tracking to prove delivery.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay standard envelope | eBay

There is a contact us at the bottom of the page for additional help.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You are not using a eBay envelope or are you? eBay standard envelope is "metered mail".

Remember...envelope has to be bendable under 1 /4 thickness...but the envelope should not have a lump or lumps in it...should be like you are putting a greeting card in an envelope...not a lump(s).

Normally, for me it would be .66 + .20 if I mailed it myself without tracking. I don't use tracking for everything.

Didn't lose a thing last year..."knock on wood".

I had a return for more postage on one....had a lump in it...I just flattened it and sent it out without additional postage. Some post office can be picky and some are not.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Are you sure you put the tokens in one of the approved coin categories? eBay will let you choose ESE as a shipping option in any category when you list, but won't let your choose ESE when you go to ship unless you item is in an approved category (it will be grayed out.).

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hey @sbabjb . Am I correct in assuming these are the items you could not ship with eBay Standard Envelope (ESE)?

Items: 285636926532, 285636935909, 285636938979, 285636941989

Reason they are not eligible for ESE: Not considered coins. Tokens listed in the Collectibles>Historical Memorabilia>Fraternal Organizations category, not Coins category.

Reason you cannot purchase a First Class Mail label through eBay: it's an untracked service and while you can offer the service through eBay, eBay does not sell postage for untracked services.

Because they do not qualify for ESE and because FC Mail/Letter/Flat cannot be purchased through eBay, the system defaults to the cheapest shipping option available through eBay: Ground Advantage.

If your packages physically qualify you can still ship untracked First Class with stamps or with a label purchased from stamps.com. By doing that you will not have tracking (may or may not impact a seller's Top Rated Seller status) and you will be taking a risk at having to pay out on a non-receipt claim since you have no tracking to prove delivery.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for responding. Yes it was for the tokens .  I’ve been selling along time and it hadn’t given me that option before so I thought it must qualify if it was given to me .  I’ve been burned by sending through regular mail even though it’s cheaper and no tracking so ….. shipping is so expensive for the light weight items . Trying to figure it out . 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So when I placed wooden token and plastic tokens that weigh 1 oz in a 9x6 and they offered USPS First Class Mail Large Envelope. It say max weight 15oz and 15x12x1 for 1.35 so I chose it thinking I was within the parameters given . I didn’t try or did they offer the ESE.  Then when I sold one it automatically changed it to ground advantage . 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The postage changed to Ground advantage because eBay doesn't sell postage for First Class letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes). If your piece is eligible to be mailed via one of those services, you can purchase postage at the Post Office counter or just put stamps on it.

To be mailed as a letter, the piece must be no more than 1/4 inch thick. To be mailed as a flat, the piece must be no more than 3/4 inch thick but it also must be flexible and have even thickness which the USPS defines as variation in thickness of not more than 1/4 inch.  I suspect that your packed up tokens would not fit these criteria.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply