cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Freight

We have a dining room set, and my wife is keen on getting a new one. We want to sell the old set on Ebay using local pickup and/or shipping freight. NO Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist

In the past, we would ship stuff via Greyhound, but I never liked to do that, plus the nearest terminal from us is about 100 miles away.

Are there any freight shippers other sellers (or buyers) use? OR do we leave it up to the buyer to arrange?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Shipping Freight

If your dining room set includes a table I am hard pressed to imagine that could even fit in the belly of a Greyhound bus.

UPS and FedEx both offer freight shipping. Seems like the best place to start. They typically have walk in offices all around town so you could get direct person to person advice.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

You should try listing it as just local pickup.  Freight shipping is a huge hassle and expense, so its not very likely that you'll find a buyer outside your local area anyway, unless your set is some super-special antique or celebrity item.  

I wonder why you're refusing to consider FB or CL.  Do you just love giving away 12% of your sales?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

Pick up Only is obviously the best.  Freight is not an option, due to packing requirements and expense.  If shipping in state or adjoining states, a small local shipping/moving company can often be reasonable and will blanket pack.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

This is one item that should be sold locally.   You are going to pay at least 12.9% of the shipping charge.  If the buyer does not like it or opens an item NOT described case, guess who is going to pay the return shipping?

It's you.    Either sell it locally, donate it to a charity or haul it out to the curb and let the garbage man pick it up.  The stress of a possible return just raised my bp and I don't even know you!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

You are also going to spend hours packing that set.  Do you even have the boxes and tons of bubblewrap for that set?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

LOL... just exploring options right now!

As far as CL and/or FB... in our area there are so many flaky people... more than any other area we have lived in. It's not only a hassle, but so many no shows. Even folks who are SELLERS are flaky!

And I don't really want to pack it all.. we may just keep it.. or do local pickup 😄

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

Call up a charity like St. Vincent de Paul or Salvation Army. You can get a receipt as you use it as proof of a donation when you do your taxes.   There are many needy people out there.  Goodluck.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Shipping Freight

I forgot to add to call a church or house of worship in your area. Perhaps they know of a needy person that could use this set.  Finally  , the 2 charities that I mentioned above will come to your home and pick up the items free.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply