cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing some info in regards with delivery issues with the USPS.

I have been a seller on eBay for over 20 years and a recently retired high level Mgr/Postmaster of 33 yrs with the USPS. I do have 2 eBay selling ID's. I would like to share some of knowledge on the USPS delivery process so if others experience problems, they can better understand what may have happened and have the tools to contact someone that can help them other than the contractor 800 number.

Recently I had a gold coin sold through eBay that was lost(?) clearly within the delivering Post Office. It was even handled/scanned by a supervisor at that office. The customer stated they did not receive it even though it shows delivered. I was able to determine the last scan made which shows delivered was actually made at 7:20PM and manually input or as the USPS calls it a "stop-the-clock" scan. When the supervisor or PM closes at night they have to CLEAR all office scans - ie. attempted, delivered, etc. In my District the Supv or PM could not go home until the office was cleared. If they did go home and not cleared, they would be called at home and forced to return to make the scans on anything showing open. In this case, the Supv admitted to making this manual scan and is in violation of USPS regs and is cause for removal. All USPS employees know this is falsification of USPS documentation.

Secondly, all scans have GPS locations associated with them which you can then google map right down to the mailbox, etc. In this case, the in-office scanner was not setup for GPS tracking, another violation or maybe on purpose. Each scan also shows the employee ID who made the scan.

Thirdly, every PO reports to a District Office which reports to an Area Office which reports to Washington DC HQ. All three levels have a Consumer Affairs Dept. If you have issues at your local PO and they do not respond to your satisfaction, request contact info at these 3 higher level offices. Record all dates, times and names of people you speak to. Go up the food chain but follow the food chain in order. Above all, with any Postal issue, go online and open a missing mail case/delivery issue and create an electronic paper trail. Don't allow your local PO to simply close the case ticket without resolution or at least them contacting you.

This is business and nothing personal. USPS employees get paid to do a job. Hold them accountable or the problem could repeat itself. If they fail, THEY cause you to fail.

I hope this helps with any lost, damaged or other delivery problems that your local PO does not handle properly.

Thanks for listening and have a good day.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Was the coin insured?  

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the info!!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

First of all, thank you SO much for posting this information.

Secondly, do you have any idea what's going on with the constant delays at the Memphis USPS facility and/or is there anything that we can do about it 😬? I currently have 60-70 packages stuck there.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

First of all, thank you SO much for posting this information.

Secondly, do you have any idea what's going on with the constant delays at the Memphis USPS facility and/or is there anything that we can do about it 😬? I currently have 60-70 packages stuck there.

@popblox 

I sell using USPS exclusively. Throughout all this pandamnic, I've only lost one package, and it was at the Memphis facility. Lost in June, 2021.... received confirmation of loss around Thanksgiving, 2021... long after I'd refunded.

They began re-routing to avoid that facility for a time. Admittedly, I thought the problem was solved. No, huh?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I sell using USPS exclusively. Throughout all this pandamnic, I've only lost one package, and it was at the Memphis facility. Lost in June, 2021.... received confirmation of loss around Thanksgiving, 2021... long after I'd refunded.

They began re-routing to avoid that facility for a time. Admittedly, I thought the problem was solved. No, huh?

@mtgraves7984 

No, not even close 😩 I live roughly 45 minutes from Memphis and all my mail/packages have to go through there first. Like, even if I mail my electric bill (to a building less than a mile from my house), it has to go through Memphis first. I have no idea of the logistics behind this.

I had some relief in the fall when sales were super slow, but if there's a mail holiday and/or I have an increase in sales, it's always offset by an avalanche of INR's. Always packages just 'stuck' in Memphis.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That's weird.  I live in north MS near Tupelo and all of my mail goes through Memphis.  Other than some delays in 2020 around Christmas I've never had an issue there, not one. I know they have a couple or more sorting centers there, maybe ours goes to a different one, idk.  The one I always see is

• USPS FACILITY
  • MEMPHIS TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 38118

All of our mail, even local mail, goes through Memphis now since they shut down the sort center in  Tupelo a few years ago.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Wow. Thanks for all that inside info. I am sure your post will help millions on here when they have an issue with USPS. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Also, last year during the first wave of the Pandemic when USPS was really in trouble. I was able to locate all my seemingly lost packages by calling the destination PO where these packages were suppose to be delivered. The workers I spoke to did a fantastic job of getting back with me and shaking loose many packages that seemed to be lost, and finally got them delivered.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I`m pretty surprised you haven`t had many problems. Everything I ship goes thru Memphis. Memphis has been an issue for me on and off for 20 years. Since the pandemic, it`s been just off the charts horrible. Memphis routinely falsifies scans showing "processed" when the reality is the item is sitting somewhere at the facility and may get "processed" the next day, the day after and so on.  I`ve seen them hold items over 9 days before they even leave the facility.  These aren`t media mail packages I send either. I ship 1st class or priority mail exclusively. 

Having said all that.....,,,,some items get to where they are going rather quickly. It`s very hit and miss.  If I could find a pattern I could find a work around to up my odds. I`ve quit shipping on Mondays and Saturdays, that has helped some it seems.

My ebay store has been closed way more than it`s been opened since the pandemic.  I`d use fed-ex or UPS if I thought people would pony up the added cost to ship.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Systems and procedures only work when they are followed. As I see it, they are not being followed. It looks to me like corners are being cut and no one is being held accountable except ebay sellers.  I`ve exhausted all my options and now I`m just exhausted. Not one postal employee I`ve spoke to has been able to rectify the problems I`m experiencing with the Memphis sort facility.  I`m having to file missing mail request for about 1 out of every 4 that I send. Sure, they eventually find and deliver the item about two days after the INR is closed. All I have left is laughter.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

That's weird.  I live in north MS near Tupelo and all of my mail goes through Memphis.  Other than some delays in 2020 around Christmas I've never had an issue there, not one. I know they have a couple or more sorting centers there, maybe ours goes to a different one, idk.  The one I always see is

• USPS FACILITY
  • MEMPHIS TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 38118

All of our mail, even local mail, goes through Memphis now since they shut down the sort center in  Tupelo a few years ago.

Here is what I always see:

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
MEMPHIS TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX 

After a package arrives in Memphis, it goes through this before it eventually just stalls completely:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 11.00.19.png

What really drives me nuts is it's almost always a "batch" of packages, all shipped on the same day. Right now I'm dealing with a clump of orders that all arrived in Memphis on Dec. 28th. 

Several sellers have mentioned they haven't had any issues with items going through Memphis and, for the most part, I don't either. I had 1,330 transactions in November and December, so I can only assume the difference is the volume.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

Systems and procedures only work when they are followed. As I see it, they are not being followed. It looks to me like corners are being cut and no one is being held accountable except ebay sellers.  I`ve exhausted all my options and now I`m just exhausted. Not one postal employee I`ve spoke to has been able to rectify the problems I`m experiencing with the Memphis sort facility.  I`m having to file missing mail request for about 1 out of every 4 that I send. Sure, they eventually find and deliver the item about two days after the INR is closed. All I have left is laughter.

My sentiments exactly 🙌

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Helloo

Thank you for the info

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Out dated thread from 2022

Message 15 of 16
latest reply