cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several EIS Questions

@wastingtime101 and community

They moved me into EIS. I opted out right away. Considering signing up for it as I have ~some items that might move well in Europe. I have been a "USA shipping only account" from the beginning.

Do they have it as to where you can opt in individual listings?

About the shipping measurements: Even if we have free shipping to the EIS hub, we have to enter shipping measurements and weight to the listing so they can know what to charge the buyer for shipping, correct? (None of my free shipping listings have accurate data for shipping at this time)

Have they moved past the minimum size box being ~7” x ~10”? Can we ship 6x6x4 etc?

What are the size and weight limits that you prefer to ship or not to ship?

What countries are a “must need to avoid”?

Does eBay really take care of refunds on their dime for INAD’s? I read that somewhere.

I did read thru the 5-6 page thread started in February by @wastingtime101 and the introductory verbiage from eBay. What are the other "must reads" that are available?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Several EIS Questions

Do they have it as to where you can opt in individual listings?

No, it's all or nothing.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

"Do they have it as to where you can opt in individual listings?"

Not yet. It's one of the 2 big downsides (the other being no combined shipping yet). Supposedly eBay is working on both of those issues. In the meantime, the way to block EIS at the listing level is to set up country exclusions at the listing level (or biz policy level, depending on what set up you're using).

About the shipping measurements: Even if we have free shipping to the EIS hub, we have to enter shipping measurements and weight to the listing so they can know what to charge the buyer for shipping, correct? (None of my free shipping listings have accurate data for shipping at this time)

It's not mandatory, but it's strongly advised. Without any weight/dimensions, eBay will use category averages to determine rates for the international buyer. Inaccurate weight/dimensions that are filled out but inaccurate means buyers will be charged inaccurate rates. Both situations can result in grossly over or under charging the buyer.

Buyers will still be able to purchase - as long as your packages aren't exceeding the max dim/wt then they would go through the program without being blocked.

All that said - whatever listings of yours don't have dimensions, or don't have accurate dimensions, the most likely "issue" you'd face is those items may not sell internationally if buyers see an unusually high ship cost. And if you're not shipping internationally now, then it's really not a big deal.

I suggest entering accurate weight/dim go-forward with new listings and don't worry about backfilling the older stuff unless you're actively revising those listings for whatever reason, or unless you have a small number of listings to manage.

Have they moved past the minimum size box being ~7” x ~10”? Can we ship 6x6x4 etc?

A 6x4x4 box should be fine. I think 7x10 was referring mainly to envelopes. This is the last update I have on package size minimums:

• Regarding package size minimum which is published as "Packages must meet or exceed 7.25 inches in width and 10.25 inches in length" and whether or not that's being enforced: Amy Witmer from eBay said, "I will check on the minimum size -- we have been accepting everything from a standard size #10 envelope and larger. However, envelopes alone are not recommended for international shipping, we recommend using a rigid mailer."

As long as you're within EIS max limits then go ahead and ship. Perhaps consider contents rather than size. A large fragile vase would give me more pause than a 30 lb box of books. Make sense?

I probably wouldn't avoid any countries using EIS unless it's an item that faces a lot of import restrictions. It's a totally different situation than direct shipping so worrying about specific countries where customs theft might be a problem isn't something you have to worry about. EIS would cover a claim of non-receipt.

Does eBay really take care of refunds on their dime for INAD’s? I read that somewhere.

For now, yes. Will it change in the future? Who knows? But I'm sure they'll be monitoring for abuse - sellers shipping wrong item, etc.

I did read thru the 5-6 page thread started in February by @wastingtime101 and the introductory verbiage from eBay. What are the other "must reads" that are available?

Aside from post 1 in that thread and post 32 in that thread, I suggest staying on top of the eBay policy pages that are linked in that first post.

I haven't yet had time to read the 2 monthly chats on EIS, so I'd suggest looking through those for any other info: March 8th and May 10th chats

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat

There's an upcoming seller check-in on May 25, register here. The shipping team is not on the schedule, however the motors parts & accessories team is and I know a lot of sellers had questions surrounding motors & EIS so it might be a good opportunity to ask questions.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

For now, yes. Will it change in the future? Who knows? But I'm sure they'll be monitoring for abuse - sellers shipping wrong item, etc.

Adding clarity:

Above response applies to eBay claims. Payment disputes (aka chargebacks) are usually  handled differently. With GSP, payment disputes were a separate issue and seller was liable just as with a domestic SNAD payment dispute. I don't think we have definitive info on EIS & payment disputes at this stage.

Some good info:

• NOV '22 SELLER CHECK-IN question: eBay International Shipping says sellers don't have to worry about returns or refunds, but within the terms of service there's text that says eBay may return items to the seller and refund buyers from the seller's account. It's a complete contradiction and sellers don't know what info to trust with this service. So what info should sellers rely on when the TOS contradicts the advertised info about not having to handle post-sale issues?
    Answer from Meghan Rao, eBay: eBay will take responsibility for the item once it reaches the hub with valid tracking information. However; if an item arrives at the hub and an exception arises regarding prohibited items (firearms, illegal substances, incorrect item) then eBay may return the item to the Seller and refund from the Sellers account.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

"Do they have it as to where you can opt in individual listings?"

Not yet. It's one of the 2 big downsides (the other being no combined shipping yet). Supposedly eBay is working on both of those issues. In the meantime, the way to block EIS at the listing level is to set up country exclusions at the listing level (or biz policy level, depending on what set up you're using).

I thought (not for sure) EIS had changed a few of my Business Shipping Polices as I received an offer from a Canadian buyer. After I saw that, I went in and tightened up the 8 shipping policies that I use.

It's not mandatory, but it's strongly advised. Without any weight/dimensions, eBay will use category averages to determine rates for the international buyer. Inaccurate weight/dimensions that are filled out but inaccurate means buyers will be charged inaccurate rates. Both situations can result in grossly over or under charging the buyer.

That might be why I will have to wait for the individual listing opt-in. No accurate weights and measurements on most of the items I would want to sell with EIS. 

Buyers will still be able to purchase - as long as your packages aren't exceeding the max dim/wt then they would go through the program without being blocked.

All that said - whatever listings of yours don't have dimensions, or don't have accurate dimensions, the most likely "issue" you'd face is those items may not sell internationally if buyers see an unusually high ship cost. And if you're not shipping internationally now, then it's really not a big deal.

I suggest entering accurate weight/dim go-forward with new listings and don't worry about backfilling the older stuff unless you're actively revising those listings for whatever reason, or unless you have a small number of listings to manage. Right on. 

A 6x4x4 box should be fine. I think 7x10 was referring mainly to envelopes. This is the last update I have on package size minimums:

• Regarding package size minimum which is published as "Packages must meet or exceed 7.25 inches in width and 10.25 inches in length" and whether or not that's being enforced: Amy Witmer from eBay said, "I will check on the minimum size -- we have been accepting everything from a standard size #10 envelope and larger. However, envelopes alone are not recommended for international shipping, we recommend using a rigid mailer."

As long as you're within EIS max limits then go ahead and ship. Perhaps consider contents rather than size. A large fragile vase would give me more pause than a 30 lb box of books. Make sense?

Yes

I probably wouldn't avoid any countries using EIS unless it's an item that faces a lot of import restrictions. It's a totally different situation than direct shipping so worrying about specific countries where customs theft might be a problem isn't something you have to worry about. EIS would cover a claim of non-receipt.

I did read thru the 5-6 page thread started in February by @wastingtime101 and the introductory verbiage from eBay. What are the other "must reads" that are available?

Aside from post 1 in that thread and post 32 in that thread, I suggest staying on top of the eBay policy pages that are linked in that first post.

I haven't yet had time to read the 2 monthly chats on EIS, so I'd suggest looking through those for any other info: March 8th and May 10th chats

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat

There's an upcoming seller check-in on May 25, register here. The shipping team is not on the schedule, however the motors parts & accessories team is and I know a lot of sellers had questions surrounding motors & EIS so it might be a good opportunity to ask questions.

I will go ahead and register. I think there might be opportunity with EIS. I know a lot of sellers here on the forum ship international. I just have not dabbled in it yet. With this PL deal and slow sales, probably time to pull out the stops since I have discontinued feeding eBay that extra 3% towards the end of March. 

Thanks a ton for the information. I appreciate your time and work. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

there sure are a few non believers on that thread

even after Kyle stepped in

@wastingtime101 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Actually; you can easily choose what listings you want to be included. 

First, opt in for all.

Then....

'Exclude' shipping to the 218 'other countries for the items you DON'T want to ship via EIS.

You can do this in bulk editor fairly quick. 

Size and Weight does need to be fairly accurate knowing that...

anything under 16 oz will be 1st Class and fairly the 'same cost'

anything 1 lb to 2 lbs is same price, then 2 lb 1oz to 3 lbs another price, 3 lbs 1 oz to 4 lbs another price, so accuracy just needs to be in those parameters. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

there sure are a few non believers on that thread

even after Kyle stepped in

@wastingtime101 

Yeah, it's pointlessly going round-and-round. Question has been asked and answered several times over.

When I posted the link, Kyle's was the last post.

So to the OP here and any others interested, I'd say my post above (post 4) covers it.

Once EIS accepts and reships the package, seller doesn't have to worry about returns filed through eBay. Payment disputes are not returns.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

First, opt in for all.

Then....

'Exclude' shipping to the 218 'other countries for the items you DON'T want to ship via EIS.

Size and Weight does need to be fairly accurate knowing that...

anything under 16 oz will be 1st Class and fairly the 'same cost'

anything 1 lb to 2 lbs is same price, then 2 lb 1oz to 3 lbs another price, 3 lbs 1 oz to 4 lbs another price, so accuracy just needs to be in those parameters. 

Thinking I could add ~3 Business Shipping Policies to accomplish this. One for Free 1st Class Package, one for Free Priority Packages and one for Calculated Priority Packages. Would still have to enter weights and dimensions.  

My UPS Ground shipments would more than likely be staying here in the Lower 48 states. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

In reagerds to the above posted. Has this ever been confirmed or has anyone using the service had success shipping items in smaller packages( say 6 x 4 x 2). I was assuming the minimum size of 7.25 x 10.25 had to do with customs/duty lables sizes from the EIS hub to the international country. 

Before posting this I looked everywhere with no luck at all for more information, all I could find was the *Packages must meet or exceed 7.25 inches in width and 10.25 inches in length*.

I was just enrolled, and, this could make a big difference as going to a 7.25 x 10.25 package  instead of say a 6 x 4 x 2 could easily add 2+ ounces.

Thanks for your time.
Shawn
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

First, opt in for all.

Then....

You, my friend, are a genius.   😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 13
latest reply