cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Shipping Samsonite

Hi just wanted to get a little input.

I’ve been selling on eBay since they started up in 2000, I don’t have too many transactions (600+) but I’m not a rookie. 

Others than how much the eBay percent of sale has climbed (and I’m not going into that as it has been beaten to death), I’m having real issues with shipping.

Example:  I have a used once Samsonite Spinner Suitcase 20” it sells on Amazon New for $150, I’m listing it for $79 which is where a few others have sold.   There are other active listings in that range, if I calculate shipping from Arizona to say NY (just as a model), Ground,  5 lbs,   26*16*11 dimensions, shipping is between $55-$75.  There are sellers offering free shipping at the same price range, obviously if info that I’m giving it away. 

Any suggestions (other than add it in, or take no profit)?  What kind of shipping can these other sellers be using.

Thanks for your input. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Selling Shipping Samsonite

Large items that have to go over size might not be worth shipping.  You could list it as pickup only.   Plus it's a risk, if a not as described case were filed you would lose the shipping.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

my advice is to put the luggage out at the curb and be done with it

if you have to pay return shipping on it you will be sorry you ever attempted to sell it

@fromthebeginning 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Based on checking prices for the information you provided but from California to New York, ground price is $42.

Personally I still wouldn't even list shipping even the ratio is that high for shipping costs because you will most certainly want to give for free on returns. If you want back from an INAD return you will be out like $84.

I'd try putting it for local pickup only and mark down the cost to $49.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks everyone, kind of what I was thinking, it’s amazing the large items I sold 6 or 7 years ago, it seems I never really thought the shipping could be that insane for a 5 lb item.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It's not about the actual weight.

Shipping low weight in large size for lower value items isn't typically economical.

Dimentional weight for your dimensions is around 30 lbs. So you will be billed based on that minimum.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There is also the cost of buying a large oversize box for it (or possibly wasting lots of time trying to find a free box that big), and the cost of any packing material needed (which, along with shipping itself, has gone up dramatically in the last few years.)

It is better to sell it locally cheaper, even if it is for significantly less than you would get here. Or, donate it and get a small tax write-off. Shipping an item worth that little money versus the high cost to ship it exposes you to way too much liability; your buyer might want to return the item, putting you deep in the hole since you will be out shipping both ways, or you could be unlucky and get hit with a "cost correction" from the courier, which at that size can be substantial.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

FYI, Ebay 'started up' in 1995.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 8
latest reply