cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns for new items that don't work?

I sold a new item and the buyer says that it doesn't work after 10 minutes. Just wondering how you guys handle this situation. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ask buyer to return item.   Issue refund after receipt of item.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It doesn't matter how you handle it, or if the item is even broken. Either you accept the Buyer's return request, or the Buyer makes a claim then eBay takes their side. But either way you've got an un-sellable product plus you're out the sale proceeds and two-way shipping costs.

Best case scenario you work out a deal with the Buyer where you refund their money if they pay return shipping.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You have no choice. Like all of us. You have to return it or they will do it for you. Ebay almost always sides with the customer. We all buy and sell on here so it works out for you as a buyer. You guys reading this no what I mean. I have had plenty of issues where Ebay or even Paypal has worked to my advantage on returning bad items. Like a $500.00 coin that a person might claim in there listing is uncirculated but when I receive it it was not the case. Had I not used Paypal I would have lost $400.00 because that's all the coin was worth in the condition I received it in. I don't argue with the return process since I think it works out great as a buyer. There are to many people listing things that are not what they claim they are in there listings when you receive them. I always issue the return and if it's worth it pay the return shipping and if it's not they get to keep it. It's part of doing business on Ebay and having a store. The customer is always right policy is the best way to run a store. Way less grief. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

They can open an Item Not Described case and you send a return shipping label and refund once you get the item back.

If you don't want to pay to have the item returned, you can cancel the sale and send their refund.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 5
latest reply