cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning Items being Destroyed by Shipper

I have had two items that were returning to me from Europe and both items have now been destroyed or are in the process of being destroyed by the Shipper. Neither item was delivered to the recipient. Neither one was showing as counterfeit. One customer did not pick theirs up in time, the other refused delivery due to customs fees. Both items had made it back to the United States. Both were in the process of being returned to me, the seller, when they were diverted buy the shipping company to be Destroyed!?!?

Has anybody else encounter this? Why would the shipper arbitrarily just destroy an item? Neither box was opened by buyer, so would not have been opened except by possibly Customer officials and thus not rejected. I would have greatly preferred to have had the chance to resell the items as both were graded collectible comics. One with a sold value over $1000!

I have requested assistance, and Ebay has refunded me the sales prices with shipping, but that is not the point. The question remains, why DESTROY the item in the first place? I can see tracking that shows them being diverted to locations possibly to be disposed of, so they cannot say it is due to excessive shipping costs to get it back to the seller. My biggest concern is that they will be kept (stolen) by the disposers and then resold, when the items were be returned to me the seller? Sure I have been refunded the costs, but again, that is not the point!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@chupacabra_comics 

did you ask the shipping company? bc like you, how would we know?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

No idea on who the package is with. The tracking does not show who is in possession of the items. The tracking number comes up blank with USPS and DHL. According to Ebay, 'Sometimes forwarder decide if it can be delivered back or liquidated.'

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@chupacabra_comics

It looks like you use eBay International Standard Delivery for international shipping. Is that how these packages were sent?

If so, then you were protected by the Shipping Protection Plan for the loss, and that's why you received a refund. The terms of service say that when the seller receives an SPP payment for a loss, then the ownership of the item is transferred to the company that provides the SPP.

https://pages.ebay.com/sell/send/termsofservice.html

The items are probably going to be liquidated by them to recoup their losses. They would not destroy the items unless they were already damaged, which doesn't appear to be the case. If they decided to destroy the items themselves because they decided the items were counterfeit or dangerous to handle, then you would not have been refunded because that voids the SPP.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If  that's  the case, the OP could keep searching  for it - most likely if it gets listed here, it would probably be listed at the same price  it sold  for. If it goes up in value, or they think it might, the OP may want to buy it  back.

Maybe it goes to that place that was around a long time ago in Texas(?) that "destroyed" counterfeit merchandise.

I did use the ESP (Ebay Shipping Program).

And no, that is not how it happened.

The book was listed as destroyed first. I then contacted Ebay to find out why this happened, and then I received my money back.

I was able to contact a person who told me that when items are returned like so, the shipper may find it quicker/easier/cheaper to destroy the package than return it. Which to me makes zero sense, as it is already traveling in the US to destination X. Why can't you just redirect to the original sender?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Exactly, many of the items I sell simply increase in value over time. I would much rather have the books back to resell at a later date.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply