cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a vehicle

Hello, I have been in correspondence with a seller out of state, regarding buying and shipping a vehicle. I have never heard of this process and want to make sure that the refund of all funds and the return that is possible will be a legitimate transaction. I would like to hear about other people’s experience involving this.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Purchasing a vehicle

Where did you find this vehicle?  Craig list, facebook and the like or on Ebay?

Might be scam.

Type in "scam" in forum search window (above) and see if your situation is similar.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18
inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,
you might live in Michigan. Jeff Foxworthy.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@serepri0 wrote:

Hello, I have been in correspondence with a seller out of state, regarding buying and shipping a vehicle. I have never heard of this process and want to make sure that the refund of all funds and the return that is possible will be a legitimate transaction. I would like to hear about other people’s experience involving this.

No, that is a classic scam (of which the biggest red flag is that supposed return shipment if you don't like the vehicle -- no seller is going to ship the vehicle out on spec and pay for its return if the buyer doesn't care for it). The purported seller may also have an elaborate description of how the vehicle is in an eBay "warehouse" and packed up ready for shipping. That's pure fiction.

Is the vehicle even listed on eBay to begin with? If not, you're being scammed. Real sales do not begin with a listing somewhere else. Do not spend any money (which includes making no supposed "escrow" payments) until either you or a trusted representative have actually laid eyes on the vehicle.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

A family member posted for seller on Facebook and I was then directed to eBay

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@serepri0 wrote:

I'm thinking that the family member's Facebook account has been hacked.

That redirection from Facebook to eBay is the classic scam, no doubt about it. Just stop responding; there is no real vehicle to be sold.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@serepri0 wrote:

THERE IS NO VEHICLE. THERE IS NO EBAY SHIPPING CENTER FOR VEHICLES.  THERE IS NO FREE INSPECTION PERIOD. There is no <whatever is being promised>.

That is NOT how Ebay works, not at all. This is a SCAM. It's a very old scam, too. Cease any conversations with the scammers. Do NOT send any money or gift codes. If you do, your money will be gone to a cybercafe in Armpitastan, and there will be absolutely nothing Ebay can do for you because the listing actually has nothing to do with Ebay.

Any "official" email you receive is NOT from Ebay - it is a FAKE from the scammer. Any email address you are given is NOT for Ebay - it is the email address of the scammer. Any phone number you are given is NOT for Ebay - it is a direct line to the scammer.

Cease all conversations with this scammer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

That is a SCAM.   You will be asked to buy gift card and email the codes off the back of them. Your money will be stolen by a THIEF.

You need to purchase such items in person, after you inspect them.  No real seller will ship a car, let you look at it  and ship it back for free if you don't like it. That is all a pack of lies. Ebay does not "hold" payments or ship anything.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@serepri0 wrote:

It's all lies. It's a classic scam that we read about every day here on the eBay discussion boards.  Any messages that you have received that seem to be from eBay are fake.  eBay just doesn't work that way. They do not get involved in transactions that are listed on Facebook, Craigslist, etc.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@a_c_green wrote:

@serepri0 wrote:

I'm thinking that the family member's Facebook account has been hacked.....

More likely,  the family member is as imaginary as the vehicle itself.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

100% SCAM! nothing legit about this process!!

Do not further correspond with this person, and report the scam ad to the site where you found it.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Purchasing a vehicle

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@serepri0 wrote:

I'm thinking that the family member's Facebook account has been hacked.....

More likely,  the family member is as imaginary as the vehicle itself.

Well, I was taking that to mean that it was some member of the OP's family whose account has been compromised. It would raise less suspicion among the other family members elsewhere if the message opened by saying that they were listing it for someone else, since everyone knows that old Aunt Martha in Phoenix doesn't actually have an RV of her own to sell.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply