cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puerto Rico is not classified as part of US by Ebay for many years

its 2024 and the same issue continues, items cannot be shipped to Puerto Rico due to ebay's classification of it as part of the Caribbean. However as a U.S. territory, Puerto Rico uses the same postal system the USPS as the other 50 states. And shipping its only a bit more expensive, like shipping to Hawaii or Alaska. Why this issue continues? I've been aware of it since since hurricane Maria in 2007, before it everything was fine, afterwards many sellers from usa and china don't ship to the island. I believe us puertoricans deserve at least a simple explanation from ebay's customer service as to why they are setting such targeted discrimination, even though we are us citizens. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay has no idea why some seller don't ship to Puerto Rico.

You need to find seller that will ship to your country.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Your complaint seems somewhat bifurcated. You note correctly that “many sellers from usa and china don't ship to the island”. Judging by the posts on these boards it is the ignorance of the sellers who think Puerto Rico is international. But then you go on to blame eBay’s customer service for discrimination. As an aside, how is a seller’s ignorance (a lack of knowledge) justification for calling eBay discriminatory (an overt act of hate)?

I, and many others, routinely ship to Puerto Rico.

Usually the biggest problem is that on the sales ticket the buyer lists their address with Puerto Rico as the country when it should list Puerto Rico as the state with USA as the country.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

EBay's customer service has nothing to do with which sellers ship to PR. 

Any of my listings that ship USPS as the carrier, can be purchased by buyers in PR. Probably 75 percent of my inventory. 

Any listings in which I use UPS as the carrier (bulky and heavy items) PR is excluded due to a lot of them offering Free Shipping. Very costly to go UPS to PR. Even with USPS, the heavy/bulky items are very expensive to PR.

It is a business decision, nothing personal or discriminatory. 

Posting ID
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If the free shipping doesn't apply to Puerto Rico is as simple as charging it and if its more expense it's the clients who pay for the expenses and charges so that's a very lame excuse.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Not true because I do have my address as Puerto Rico the state and USA the country and even though they still dont ship to Puerto Rico.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@aida.iris232012 wrote:

Not true because I do have my address as Puerto Rico the state and USA the country and even though they still dont ship to Puerto Rico.

Some sellers won't ship there because they've had problems before.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@aida.iris232012 wrote:

If the free shipping doesn't apply to Puerto Rico is as simple as charging it and if its more expense it's the clients who pay for the expenses and charges so that's a very lame excuse.

It's not quite that simple.  A seller that wanted to have free shipping to the mainland and an extra cost to PR, Hawaii and other areas would have to set up a special rate chart, they couldn't do it on the regular ebay shipping calculator and they can't ask for more in shipping after the item has been purchased.   It's probably much easier just to exclude those areas if the shipping cost is going to be quite a bit more.  You can always ask the seller if they would make an exception in your case and they might be willing to set up a separate listing for you.

It really is up to a seller where they are comfortable shipping too although I agree that in some cases, it is odd that they won't ship there.  But that is out of eBay's control. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

USPS ships to Puerto Rico all the time. The problem that sometimes comes up is on the buyer end! If the buyer lists PR as their COUNTRY then you cannot ship there, if they list it as their STATE you are fine. I recently sent an ESE to PR and it got there much sooner than similar shipments to NC have, no extra charges, I did have to put the buyer's address on 2 lines as it was too long.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply