cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printed Fedex label but then Buyer said needed to change address - will I still be charged?

Printed Fedex address label for package. Buyer contacted to say address was different, but ebay has already charged me for first address label. If I print another label to correct address, how do I confirm I won't be charged for first label printed? Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Printed Fedex label but then Buyer said needed to change address - will I still be charged?

@gal220joy 

First, confirm this email is actually from your buyer and it is not someone pretending to be your buyer. 

If it is your buyer, they should request a cancellation. Once you cancel, make a new listing and they can purchase it again with the correct address. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Printed Fedex label but then Buyer said needed to change address - will I still be charged?

And cancelling the transaction would cancel the charge for the shipping label?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@gal220joy 

What @dryophelia  said is correct.

The proper way to handle this is to verify that the message you got from the buyer came from the eBay system first.  If so, then you need to reach out to the buyer and let them know you need to cancel (problem with address) and you can relist and they can repurchase.

As for the label, that can be canceled here, once you sort out the first part:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/labels/seller-hub

Find the order, click the drop arrow next to Actions, choose void/cancel label.  It can take 2-3 weeks for a refund on a shipping label.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@gal220joy wrote:

For Fedex you are not charged until FedEx receives the package. When you print the label what you see is just an estimate.

Same applies to UPS labels.

USPS labels on the other hand are charged at the moment you click the print button.

Regardless of this, make sure to follow the instructions given by @gator08041971, if you just change the address then you will lose any Seller protection.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ebay deducted it from my funds though.🤔

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@gal220joy @slippinjimmy 

I believe they still place a hold on the amount (charge you for it) but you can get an adjustment to that later once the item is shipped.  This is in case you under charged or over charged the shipping.

So think of it like when at a restaurant and you give them a card for the meal, but the preliminary hold on the card is for the meal, but doesn't include a tip if you added it, till after they finalize the transaction later (post their nightly transaction record for the card service)

UPS and FedEx kinda works the same way.  Regardless, just make sure you void/cancel the label and you will be fine.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@gal220joy wrote:

For Fedex you are not charged until FedEx receives the package. When you print the label what you see is just an estimate. Same applies to UPS labels.

This is incorrect @slippinjimmy @gal220joy . eBay bills upfront for UPS and FedEx labels and has since Sept/Oct last year. 

You will need to void the label. 

To void a shipping label purchased through eBay, go to this page, find the order and select Void from the Actions drop-down. The void option is available for 5 days.

It takes between 2-4 weeks to receive a refund on an unused, voided label. You'll see the refund on your original source of payment (bank, credit card, etc) and the funds will appear in your account without an email notification.

Printed eBay Standard Envelope labels are non-refundable and cannot be voided.

eBay International Standard Delivery labels are not charged to your account until they are used, so there is no void option.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

I believe they still place a hold on the amount

It's not a hold @gator08041971 . It's billed upfront, just like USPS.

Cost adjustments after the fact can happen with all of the carriers.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

I rarely use those two, so couldn't remember for sure.  That means that @slippinjimmy  was a bit... Off with their original comment and my original statement is still true.  😁

I just wasn't sure, but I knew they did put a charge when you used them.  *shrug

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

@wastingtime101 

I rarely use those two, so couldn't remember for sure.  That means that @slippinjimmy  was a bit... Off with their original comment and my original statement is still true.  😁

I just wasn't sure, but I knew they did put a charge when you used them.  *shrug

Yes.......I'm out of date on the FedEx/UPS billing, I'll update my brain cells for the next time it comes up.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply