cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package never been delivered, USPS Issue

Hello everyone !

I sold a package on May 4th and shipped it the same day. USPS accepted the item and arrived at the USPS regional origin Facility same date.

May 8th : in transit to next facility.

Since then there is no update . Still showing” In transit “ and the buyer still hasn’t received the package yet.

she sent me an email yesterday asking for refund .

I’m about to contact USPS to see what happened . Who is responsible for this mess. USPS right ?  Then why I have to pay back the buy for something I wasn’t responsible for? Should I contact ebay ?

thank you !!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Package never been delivered, USPS Issue

@diversitybeauty  Sorry to say but you have to refund the buyer.  The seller is responsible for the buyer receiving the item.  

You can file a postal insurance claim if the package is lost, if you insured the item AFTER you refund the buyer.

If the item arrives after you refund then you can send a paypal invoice and hope that they are honest.

This is my advice for shipping issues :

I have been fortunate so far but I have talked buyers into waiting in the past when packages have gone on a walkabout. The buyers said they felt comfortable waiting because I reached out to them and communicated about the issue.

This is what I would say: I know you are anxiously awaiting your package and I appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Please rest assured that you will receive your item or a full refund. You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a refund request on ebay. I am following up with the postal service and will keep you updated.

Hopefully communicating with your buyer will talk them down off of the ledge.

If they file a refund request I recommend refunding because if they ask ebay to step in ebay will FORCE a refund you will be out your sellers fees and get a DEFECT.

If you end having to refund before the item arrives then you will need to send the buyer a paypal invoice and hope they repay you.

I would say on the invoice: I see that your ______ finally arrived, I hope you are enjoying it.

You have access to the buyers email address for 14 days on seller hub OR you can also access it from the paypal payment email by selecting reply. This is not considered an off-site transaction and is how ebay says to handle this type of situation.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I am having a similar situation here in the UK, with Hermes.

I have proof of posting, and acknowledgement of delivery on Hermes which is the tracking that the customer and myself get on Hermes Website.

The customer insists that the package has not been Delivered.

Can anyone tell me were can I go from Here?

The Customer has opened a refund request!

Cheers, 0161mike64

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@mikerogerson.64  

@mikerogerson.64 wrote:

I am having a similar situation here in the UK, with Hermes.

I have proof of posting, and acknowledgement of delivery on Hermes which is the tracking that the customer and myself get on Hermes Website.

The customer insists that the package has not been Delivered.

Can anyone tell me were can I go from Here?

The Customer has opened a refund request!

Cheers, 0161mike64

If tracking shows delivery to your buyer then you respond with the tracking number in the request and you win the case.

If the tracking does not show delivery to the buyer then see my previous post.  

For more help on any rules that might be specific to the UK site you should ask for help here:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@diversitybeauty wrote:

Hello everyone !

I sold a package on May 4th and shipped it the same day. USPS accepted the item and arrived at the USPS regional origin Facility same date.

May 8th : in transit to next facility.

Since then there is no update . Still showing” In transit “ and the buyer still hasn’t received the package yet.

she sent me an email yesterday asking for refund .

I’m about to contact USPS to see what happened . Who is responsible for this mess. USPS right ?  Then why I have to pay back the buy for something I wasn’t responsible for? Should I contact ebay ?

thank you !!

If the buyer has filed a case, you only have a few (three?) days, then you'll have to refund.

File a lost package report.  https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Have the package, if found, sent back TO YOU if you have to refund.

It may not be your fault, but it is your responsibility to get the package to the buyer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@diversitybeauty 

The seller has messaged asking for a refund, but has not opened an Item Not Received case? That's how I read your post.

If it is one day past the estimated delivery date, the buyer can open one. When opened, upload your tracking number in the case notes and make sure it is in the transaction notes. If the package 'just hasn't made it' yet... when it does, the delivery scan will be in your favor. You'll win that case.

If it doesn't arrive, you'll have to refund when the INR case times out. The standard of delivery is placed on the seller. But I'd not refund until there's a case opened.

Just my opinion... Good luck!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

thank you for your help!!
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

thank you!!
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!!
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Big thanks to anyone who responded with a solution.

I created a lost package case with USPS and refunded the buyer. This later contacted me the day after telling me she finally received her package after one month of waiting.

During this whole month I was keeping an eye on her item and I emailed her twice to see if she received it. she was very understanding and knew with this pandemic everything is a bit topsy turvy. clearly she wanted to wait for her it. However the "30 days return" was almost over, thus she emailed back asking for a refund.

I refunded her one day before she received her item. she wanted to repay me I just asked her to enjoy it.

she left a positive feedback and bought another Item 🙂

Thank you!!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@diversitybeauty 

Now that's how you make lemonade! And ain't it sweet???  Karma wins again... so happy for you!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Everyone keeps stating that it is Sellers responsibility to refund if USPS fails to deliver, even if tracking shows USPS accepted the item and it remains indefinitely "in transit." Buyer selected First Class Mail, Buyer declined Priority Mail, which has some insurance, and Buyer was offered insurance and Buyer declined? How can Seller be responsible? 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

We contact the buyer and tell them we are doing a package trace and will be back with them within a few days with the results. Most people if they really want their item will wait. They just want to know that you are on top of the shipment. Many MANY OF THESE SHIPMENTS GET FOUND AND QUICKLY SENT AFTER THE TRACE.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

THIS IS HOW WE ARE HANDLING THESE DELAYS. Keep on top of the shipments. If you see any that looked like they are going to be delayed, PROMPTLY contact the buyer and let them know you will be there to help move the shipment along.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply