cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package Lost in Mail - What to do?

Hello! Recently I sold an item on ebay and shipped it out as normal. The tracking was updating at every stop for awhile and then just stopped. It got all the way from Philadelphia to San Fransisco before idling. I shipped it on April 8th, the buyer reached out to me saying they still didn't get it and still want it. So I responded  back telling them I would reach out to USPS to see if they can do anything.

I initiated a missing mail request on April 25th and nothing has changed since then. I haven't heard anything from the buyer since but I'm just wondering what to do now. Should I wait longer for the missing mail request to possibly find it? I was also thinking about refunding the order and trying to submit an insurance claim. It was shipped with Ground Advantage so I think its insured for up to $100 which is more than enough to cover everything. I've never done that before so I don't know what the process is like.

Here is the tracking number for it: 9434609105465007886142

Any help or advice would be great, thank you!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I would issue the refund and file the insurance claim. Keep the buyer happy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Contact the USPS again....if that doesn't yield any results, then ask the buyer to open up an item not received case. Then, you can refund the buyer &/or give the USPS a few more extra days. Keep in mind that the parcel could be stuck in some backlogged distribution center in some trailer & is just awaiting processing. Sometimes, parcels stay idle for weeks & then all of a sudden it appears in the USPS system & gets delivered to the buyer's address.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@braser_0 wrote:

Should I wait longer for the missing mail request to possibly find it?

First, in my experience these "missing mail search requests" are pointless unless the mail was last tracked at a local post office.  Usually, they just sit on the request for maybe a week, and if it doesn't magically reappear in the tracking system, then respond back that they can't find it.

It is possible the buyer has received the package ... this can happen if the tracking bar code has become unreadable.  But, if they haven't received it yet, ask the buyer to file an item not received case with eBay, and then I would refund the customer and file an insurance claim.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My only concern is that the USPS site says you have to wait 45 days before filing a claim with Ground Advantage. If I refund the order now and have to wait until the 45 days is up (May 23rd) the package might somehow arrive in between then and I can't file the claim.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Go to the PO you use and have them do the enteral tracking scan   ,then as for district office of consumer affairs   number ,not the 800  number ,   

Message 6 of 6
latest reply