cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PO changing shipping

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I shipped a small item in a 4x6" padded envelope.  It weighed about an ounce; however, I put in 4 ounces when I printed my label.  No particular reason, and cost was the same.  The post office snagged it for some reason, changed the weight to 1 ounce, but charged me for a medium flat rate box!  I always add an extra ounce to take into account any chance my scale may be off a bit, but never thought ADDING a couple of ounces would cost me!  I've looked online for an explanation, but can't seem to find any regulation/rule on this.  Could just have been an **bleep** postal worker, and I have put in a dispute, but curious if others have had this happen.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

PO changing shipping

Hmm what else was in the envelope besides goods?? packing etc???

How wide was this with the item in the package??

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

PO changing shipping

If I'd shipped a 1 oz. padded envelope, I'd have used First Class and bought (through eBay) a 4 oz. label.

Are you saying a clerk at the PO did this to you, or did it happen somewhere along the line? (I ask because I do know of Postal workers who automatically grab their Priority supplies if someone walks in unprepared... but you sound like you knew exactly what you were doing.) Was it a USPS postage 'shortage' that you're now being billed for?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PO changing shipping

It sounds like the USPS APV system made an error @wasagrunt. It's happened to me several times where my lightweight FC package got stuck to someone else's Flat Rate Envelope and I was upcharged for the FRE. I followed the appeals process and got a refund in all but one case.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply