cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USPS First Class Mail RETAIL PACKAGE rates effective 9-3-17

Effective September 3, 2017, First Class Mail PARCEL retail rates will increase:

https://pe.usps.com/DMMAdvisory/Show?dmmAdvisory=DMMAdvisory081117.htm&year=2017

The current rates range from $2.67 to $4.29.  The new RETAIL rates start at $3.00 for 1-4 oz. and rise to $4.53 for 13 oz.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

do you really expect the p.o. (or anyone) to announce that they will be LOWERING rates?   lol       Thanks for the info    Wondering if Ebay is increasing the discount we get on postage???????      HA HA HA

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The new rates are only for retail postage, so there will be no effect on eBay's postage label prices. In fact, with higher retal rates, the alleged "eBay discount" WILL be greater.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

No mention of any change to the First Class Package Service (commercial) rates yet. That could happen in January 2018, though, when the usual rate adjustments are made.

Keep in mind that FCPS (commercial) is a different service than FCM (parcel). Different weight limit, content restrictions, and subject to postal inspection. The FCPS (commercial) rates are as published by USPS -- there is no eBay discount.

Changing the name of FCM-Parcel to FCPS-Retail does not affect the weight limit (13 oz.) or impose the content restrictions or postal inspection of FCPS-Commercial.

All sellers should take note of the RETAIL rate increase, however, because now eBay's shipping menu for FCPS should reflect both the commercial and retail rates up to 13 oz. Same as it does for Parcel Select vs. Retail Ground and the various Priority Mail rates.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Just went to check shipping for 4 oz...Ebay now shows $3.16 with no discount at all. Any ideas why?
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

That's the new rate for 5 oz. First Class Package Service - Retail.

However, what's really weird is that the USPS website has not yet been updated. The Notice 123 still reads January 22, not September 3.

For the time being, I suggest you use the fixed-rate option and specify whatever amount you wish to charge your customers. It's very possible that eBay's system does not distinguish between the new FCPS-Commercial and FCPS-Retail rates -- which is a major error!

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Message 6 of 6
latest reply