cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailing bags... advice please

I'm considering selling a large quantity of yarn on eBay, which would be best to ship in plastic bags. I've received goods in such bags, but I've never shipped in them, and I'm seeking advice on how to choose the right product.

On eBay I see listings for bags made of several different materials in different thicknesses. How do I decide which is most appropriate for me?

What about size? I want to get the kind of bag that has no edges, just an open end with a sealable flap. No one seems to be selling those. All the products I see on eBay (and Amazon) are shaped like envelopes, with dimensions given as length and width; my packages will have length, width, and thickness. How do I tell which size bag will hold various amounts of product?

My guess is that I should add half a package's thickness to its length and width, plus another inch in each dimension for safety. So... six skeins of yarn make a stack about 9x7x6 inches, and I'd put them in a 9"+3"+1" = 13" by 7"+3"+1" = 11" bag. But that's just a guess... I'm hoping for something more authoritative before I start spending money.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mailing bags... advice please

Hello,

I'd try searching 12x9 Polymailer. Best price is probably on AMZ.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Tyvek is even tougher than polymailers, but the higher cost makes it less effective than polybags.

If you have a store you get quarterly shipping supplies coupons that include polybags. Ignore the posted price because what you actually pay is the difference between the coupon and the price and the sales tax on the original item. Shipping is free.

Which means the bags I normally buy cost me less than $5 for 100.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I buy Polymailers all the time.   I'll buy the 10"by 13" - there are many sizes to pick from,   I shop around on Ebay, but you have to make sure you get the 2 mil weight, which is a better quality than the 1 mil.  They are very sturdy for what you are selling.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you are shipping in a non-expandable shipping envelope you just use the 2 dimensions of the envelope.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply