cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing qualifies for USPS First Class Mail International Letter but option to select it is missing

not the same shipping price.jpg
I have looked around and could not find anything with the same issue as im having so I am posting this in hopes of some guidance.

I am selling a trading card, I set the listing as such with the correct dimension's / weight (under 3 oz, within the size limit of eBay Standard Envelope for Eligible Items up to $20). I set the shipping method to small to medium items because selecting a package size / envelope does not exist on web nor mobile. I add international shipping because ebay allowed me to select the service USPS First Class Mail International Letter and said buyer pays 2.22-4.10 calculated shipping. Cool.

Two other similar items sell with the same exact settings/dimensions and I'm able to pay and print out the eBay Standard Envelope label. THIS Item sells to someone in canada and I go to print out the label as shown above in the image, It wants me to pay $14 for a completely different service that I did not have available. Not only that but the buyer was able to purchase shipping for the international calculated shipping method I had available for 2.22.

I think to myself, well that's weird, so I also go to the web version of ebay and the only thing I can do for the label is fill out a customs form, that option for the first class mail international is still not a choice and even says on the app "destination country not supported by ebay postage. Please go to the ebay website to purchase the postage label" and only gives me the cheapest option either to buy a Ebay International Standard Delivery or a First-Class Package International label, both costing over $14 for shipping.

Could use some help here, if I need to cancel and refund the order or buy / print the label at a usps kiosk? I need help. Another side note is that on the app it also says tracking and insurance is not a thing but on the website it says it is.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Listing qualifies for USPS First Class Mail International Letter but option to select it is miss

The $2.22 - $4.10 you are seeing is for a USPS 1st Class International letter. You can only purchase the postage for that service at the Post Office or you can just attach the correct amount of postage stamps to the letter and send it off.

USPS 1st Class International letter does not have any tracking available. It's the same as mailing a regular letter.

To get tracking to Canada you would have to send by USPS 1st Class Package International for $14.00. The ESE shipping is only available for items sent within the USA.

eBay lets sellers choose 1st Class letter because most who do just send the item with stamps. eBay really should put a disclaimer that if you use this shipping method you can't print your label through eBay when you are setting up you shipping options.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Listing qualifies for USPS First Class Mail International Letter but option to select it is miss

The $2.22 - $4.10 you are seeing is for a USPS 1st Class International letter. You can only purchase the postage for that service at the Post Office or you can just attach the correct amount of postage stamps to the letter and send it off.

USPS 1st Class International letter does not have any tracking available. It's the same as mailing a regular letter.

To get tracking to Canada you would have to send by USPS 1st Class Package International for $14.00. The ESE shipping is only available for items sent within the USA.

eBay lets sellers choose 1st Class letter because most who do just send the item with stamps. eBay really should put a disclaimer that if you use this shipping method you can't print your label through eBay when you are setting up you shipping options.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

additionally to note

unless there has been a recent change ..................... USPS does not allow shipping of merchandise (things we sell) via  First Class International letter mail.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I have been able to mail 4 trading cards in an envelope with thin cardboard for $1.55. Tracking is for expensive items. I would refund buyer if necessary to overcharged shipping and use a stamp for International Shipping. Its nice to use eBay shipping labels...but to make money on an item...

And a custom form for a card...not if you use stamps to mail to Canada in a standard envelope.

And I haven't lost an item last year to date this year.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@fooly_cooly 

The eBay Standard Envelope (ESE) is intended only for domestic (United States) shipments -- you can not use the ESE for foreign mailings.

USPS First Class International Letter postage is also not available through eBay -- you will have to pay for it at the post office.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I appreciate the thorough reply, no idea how I missed that ESE was domestic only, but I do agree that there needs to be a disclaimer that you cannot print this label and have to get it from the post office.  Also a disclaimer that there is a no QR code to print the label at the post office would also be very beneficial.

ebay also needs to fix that it says no tracking/insurance for ESE in the app even though their own post states that it's insured up to $20 and has tracking (although after research says it's some sort of internal tracking)

Once again, thank you for the reply and anyone else else who chipped in some beneficial information.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I will add to the discussion that you can buy International stamps for around a couple dollars each. I have a sheet of them I bought from USPS and had delivered to my house a few years ago, here is a photo:

20240224_200855.jpg

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@fooly_cooly 

Because the ESE is contracted business metered mail, it can NOT be purchased at any post office, but ONLY through the individual business which has contracted with USPS (in this case, eBay).

There are also individual contract identification numbers located at the upper right corner of the ESE, as well as an individualized bar code near the address line, specifically coded for eBay.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply