cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect shipping charge by ebay/usps help?!

I purchased an ebay shipping label (usps) after a sale and it said $5.15.  I was charged $186.  I contacted ebay and they said it was usps that needed to refund me.  Contacted usps and they said it was ebay to refund and then said they can only help if they have a revenue insurance number (aka usps adustment id).  Contacted ebay again and they said they didn't have that number but within 48 hours I'd have a refund no problem.  It's been longer than 48 hours.  Has anyone had this happen and actually gotten a refund? 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Incorrect shipping charge by ebay/usps help?!

Really dumb question I suppose...but can one dispute the charge with their banking source as not a recognized charged?...since no one wants to claim who should refund the seller as such. 

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

It was an initial charge.  It said it was $5.15 but then it charged it as $186.  Thank you for the cost adjustment link, I'll be saving that.  I will send the number from there with the rest of the info again and maybe it will get me somewhere.   Thank you!

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother wrote:

It was an initial charge.  It said it was $5.15 but then it charged it as $186.  Thank you for the cost adjustment link, I'll be saving that.  I will send the number from there with the rest of the info again and maybe it will get me somewhere.   Thank you!

The only times I've seen the initial charge off by that much is user error - accidentally putting in wrong dimensions.

Like when the dimension from the listing is 5 and someone tries to change it to 7 on the label page, and they accidentally end up putting in 57.

Not saying that's what happened here, but based on similar reports from other sellers over the years that is the usual cause. Mentioning it so you can be extra aware in the future @onegeekymother .

If you did enter wrong dimensions, USPS's APV system is supposed to catch it when the package goes through processing then credit you the cost adjustment after the fact - usually takes a few weeks. The system doesn't always work as it should, but per USPS guidelines, that's what's supposed to happen.

Please do keep us posted on what happens.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

It makes sense that that is the first thought but it was a 12 oz small box package.  Measurements were accurate since I always double check. 

I am really hopeful that either usps notices and refunds or they actually respond to my charge dispute.  It's been a month so I fear it will only happen if I keep pestering.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

If you don't use the label, eventually it will be refunded.

Not fast.

And that's hard on the budget.

But eventually.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother wrote:

It makes sense that that is the first thought but it was a 12 oz small box package.  Measurements were accurate since I always double check. 

Hi @onegeekymother . Go to this page:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/labels/seller-hub

Find the label. Under the column Shipment Details / Cost, click on the service name Ground Advantage. A pop-up box will appear that shows you the weight and dimensions entered when you purchased the label. Then you'll know for sure and if you're going to fight this as an erroneous charge, you'll want a screenshot that confirms the weight/dimensions when you purchased the label.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother wrote:

I purchased an ebay shipping label (usps) after a sale and it said $5.15.  I was charged $186.  

How did you get notice of this charge? Was it from ebay or from your bank? 

Is it possible it was a coincidence between the time you purchased the label and the overdraft? Is it possible that you used your checking account (?) to pay another bill and bounced a check? 

What does it show in the payee section on your bank statement? (If you haven't received the statement yet, you can check it online.)

I'm guessing that this is unrelated to a shipping label.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

...Say what?

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

The only times I've seen the initial charge off by that much is user error - accidentally putting in wrong dimensions.

Like when the dimension from the listing is 5 and someone tries to change it to 7 on the label page, and they accidentally end up putting in 57.

I've had that happen before. My guess would be that it was most likely this.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Hello Geeky, 

I had this happen on April 9th. The shipping should have been 6.26 , but instead I was charged 163.15. My bank account was charged and my remaining available funds depleted. USPS was able to confirm what I entered for dimensions and weight and it was correct.   Ebay had record of the exact same data.  I got the same back and forth as to who was to refund me.  The final customer service rep at Ebay said that every 15 days ebay gets a report showing if shipping was under and if so , the seller would be charged the difference.  She said it also applies to over payment.  They said I should get a refund. I've got my calendar set and am waiting to see if I get my money back.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

I noticed the charge on my weekly payout when it caused an overdraft on my checking account since I didn't have enough in my ebay seller account to cover it.  The checking account it pulled from is only used for ebay so there was no reason anything would pull from it.  It showed ebay as the charge. 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I would love for that to be the case but at this point I'm doubtful.  This happened on March 18th and it still hasn't refunded.  I'm sure it will be up to us to chase it down.  Good luck! 🙂

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@onegeekymother 

Have you checked this page https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng to see what the adjustment was for?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

There was no adjustment. It was the initial label cost. I can replicate the rates with eBay shipping calculator. $5.15 is 12 oz to zone 5 ground advantage. Inflate the dimensions to oversized rates and it comes out to $186.92 to zone 5.

Although the seller said $186 even but could have been rounding.

Easy as having a 12x12x6 package but making a typo 12x12x66

Hopefully if that’s what happened the USPS APV system will catch the overpayment and refund the seller.

GLORIOUS!

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

The measurements and weight were accurate when the label was created. 

Yesterday was a month since it happened and today I had a shipping adjustment credited to my account.

Not sure if it was because of this thread, the month of time passing or the fresh email I sent to USPS yesterday but the issue has been resolved.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply