cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I DO NOT DECIDE SHIPPING COSTS, eBAY DOES!?!?

I enter the weight and size of my items when I list them, eBay calculates the cost based on USPS rates. Why do buyers feel the need to give crummy star ratings on shipping costs? I swear to PETE if it's not free, they will complain. They leave glowing feedback but my shipping cost star ratings continue to decline. Passive-aggressive feedback IMO.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It does not matter. It has been a long time since DSRs have really mattered, and eBay is engaged in grade inflation anyway. "4" means you did your job, no complaints.  Your shipping star is 4.8.

ETA: Mine is 4.9 if that matters - I hadn't even looked at it in months until you mentioned it and I double checked.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

It's true, buyers have no idea what postage actually costs.  I find that it helps to include a statement right in your listing description, such as, "The postage cost shown in the listing is the exact USPS postage calculated from your ZIP Code to mine, with no additional fees or handling costs."  Also, offer both Priority and Ground Advantage; often GA is much cheaper than Priority so it looks like a relative bargain.

Another option in your case would be to mail those little undies with Free shipping, in a plain envelope as a First Class letter or flat, adding a dollar or two to your asking price.  You wouldn't have tracking, so you'd lose your TRS status and you'd have no defense against fake "Item not received" claims, but those costs might be outweighed by more sales and lower postage overhead.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

You're making the same mistake that your buyers are:  Ebay doesn't decide the rates, USPS does........

You, as a seller, have a bit of control in that you could charge the buyers what ebay actually charges you ........since you are given a discount by ebay........who is given one by USPS.........

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Your shipping rating is fine. Some buyers want free shipping. 

"Crummy" ratings from those buyers would usually be on my blocked buyers list for future purchases.

It's always a great day when a previous buyer doesn't know why they can't buy from me...and want to know why...and I honestly can't remember but putting someone on your blocked buyer list is typing the name out perfectly to get the buyer blocked.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I haven't experienced any issues with sales that have shipping cost vs sales without.

Those with costs are either a flat rate or calculated at retail rate, no extra fees.

They pay, I ship.  Those with free shipping just have that price included with the item anyway, but it looks better.

These days, I use calculated for larger or odd items.  But I am ranked 5 out of 5 in all categories at the moment.  Hasn't always been the case though.  lol

@12345jamesstamps 

putting someone on your blocked buyer list is typing the name out perfectly to get the buyer blocked.

You do that?   Huh.  I always highlight, copy/paste to make sure its exactly right.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps How do you know which buyers gave you crummy star ratings? I only see what they write in feedback and ratings drop after multiple buyers left feedback.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Not to mention, they could leave star ratings and not leave feedback.  Oh wait, no they can't.  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

It does not matter. It has been a long time since DSRs have really mattered, and eBay is engaged in grade inflation anyway. "4" means you did your job, no complaints.  Your shipping star is 4.8.

ETA: Mine is 4.9 if that matters - I hadn't even looked at it in months until you mentioned it and I double checked.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

"reasonable shipping costs"..."accurate descriptions"..."shipping speed"..."communication"

I went into these and found a buyer giving me a bad rating which you can do...and his ID will show up.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I prefer to type the buyer's name...it just makes me remember the buyer has been blocked...self-gratification I guess.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Hey everyone, please note that due to a FedEx invoicing issue the week of March 25, 2024, some sellers were incorrectly charged for FedEx label adjustments. We apologize for the inconvenience, and eBay will refund these amounts within the next 5 business days.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

So are we okay to use Fed-X going forward without any extra charges? Thanks. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect 

I've seen some sellers shipping similar items in first class envelopes. Unfortunately I'm too OCD to do that. I like to see delivery notifications and sometimes progress if it's taking awhile. Also like you mentioned I would worry about INRs with the rampant scammers folks post about here.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Some categories attract scammers; others don't.  Games and electronics are the worst. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Entering the conversation to try and educate myself...NOT complain! Would appreciate any feedback to help me better understand. I've been on eBay for many years, mostly as a BUYER (of commemorative Coca Cola bottles). Over the past few years I've been increasingly baffled over shipping fees charged by many sellers. I live in Arkansas. I can buy a single bottle from a seller in California, for example, who charges a $7.57 shipping fee ("USPS Ground Advantage"). Whereas as seller in Georgia charges $13.75 for shipping the exact same bottle to me, and the ONLY shipping option they offer is "USPS Priority". I have yet to have

a seller offer to lower the fee when I've inquired about a cheaper rate. I don't generally need or require a bottle to be sent via "Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail)" ..yet so many sellers ONLY offer that option. So for those sellers, I simply pass and will not bid. I understand that the USPS (or FedEx, UPS, etc.) sets the RATES...so my question is...Why do so many sellers only allow one option (which is often the most expensive)? Are sellers allowed to choose / offer different options based on "priority"? (And I will apologize again...I haven't SOLD anything on eBay in a very long time. Thanks again in advance for any feedback!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply