cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to Refund without return

I sold a pair of never worn vinyl boots that had been in my closet for a long time.

Today, I got a message from the buyer that the first time she wore them, the vinyl basically started flaking off. She is being super nice about it, even said in her message that they were "impeccable condition" when she received them and there was no way I could predict that this would happen. She has not asked for a refund nor started a return case. She even says she is still going to leave positive feedback.

I just don't feel right about this & am going to refund her the sale price & original shipping, but I don't want the boots back. My return policy shows as "14 days; Money back; Buyer pays return shipping; 10% restocking fee may apply." in my listings. 

What is the best way refund without a return through eBay so I at least get my FVF back? Is there a way for me to just go ahead and send a refund to her or does she have to initiate a return case in order for me to refund? What happens with the 10% restocking fee? I haven't responded to her message yet, before I do I want to know how to accomplish the refund. 

I've been selling on eBay for over 4 years now, but have never had a return or refund before this. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: How best to Refund without return

Doesn't a Not as Described case count against me?

No, it doesn't if you handle it correctly, however, you do NOT want to ask the buyer to do that in your situation.

Simply find the transaction in your history and choose 'Cancel Order'.....make sure you choose the reason "buyer asked to cancel" and then proceed with  the refund.  You will recoup your FVFs, you won't receive a defect, and the buyer will get a full refund w/o involving the return process.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I'm not positive, but to get your FVF's back, I think you have to give a full refund. Someone else might be along that knows more about that.

I'd have the buyer open an Item Not As Described case and it'll give you an option to refund without a return.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Your buyer is being "super nice" so that she can get an after market discount or, even better for her, the boots and her money.  This has become a prevailing problem here on eBay, and it is causing many sellers huge headaches.  Yes, I have had buyers try this on me, too. 

Tell her to return for refund.  Don't enter into discussions with her; just say "return for refund." 

Although there is the possibility that she is telling the truth, there is an equal (and more likely) possibility that she is Not.  Buyers have learned that they can squeeze sellers just by complaining the way this buyer is doing.

"Return for refund."  If she is telling the truth, she will send the boots back.  If she isn't, she will back off. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Actually, the buyer included 5 photos in the message that clearly show the flaking vinyl. I have no doubt that she is telling the truth.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

No, it doesn't if you handle it correctly, however, you do NOT want to ask the buyer to do that in your situation.

Simply find the transaction in your history and choose 'Cancel Order'.....make sure you choose the reason "buyer asked to cancel" and then proceed with  the refund.  You will recoup your FVFs, you won't receive a defect, and the buyer will get a full refund w/o involving the return process.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Excellent! I was hoping there was an easier way to do this than a return. relieved Since both the buyer & I are on the east coast, I'll wait 'til the morning to actually process the cancellation/refund. I'll sleep better tonight tho, knowing how to fix this. Thank you so much for your help! 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

So many around here are so jaded that they seem to cause even more problems for themselves.

If I politely told someone something like this and and got a "return for refund, I do not give partials" type email......

at that point I'd run straight to eBay and make a big stink about the issue. Do people not see that so often they escalate the problem? When you have so many buyers "try stuff" with you, maybe, just maybe you need to look  in the mirror and ask "why me"?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

What would be the  benefit over cancelling rather than having a buyer open a return and then refunding without a return? It's late here so maybe I'm just missing something...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I'm sorry but it bothers me that someone would automatically assume that the buyer is being nice because they are trying to get something for free. Of course some buyers may do that, but it happens on a very small number of transactions. We only hear about the 'bad' transactions on the boards  and keep in mind that we don't always hear the whole story from the person who is telling it. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply