cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Seized by Law Enforcement for Counterfeit Postage

Hi, I have run into another problem since my 20 years on ebay again.  I don't know what to do or where to go. Post office is not being helpful, they said they can't give me any more info. 

My customer informs me that his package has been "seized". I go and check the tracking number and it says

"Seized by Law Enforcement for Counterfeit Postage". 

On the tracking number page it says "Your item has been seized by Law Enforcement due to counterfeit postage. Please contact the merchant or seller to request a refund."

I buy all my shipping on ebay. I just print out my label and just paste it on and drop it off at my local USPS bulk mail like I have been doing for years. I have shipped probably a hundred of these items.

I have checked the weight and it is below what I stated when I print the label. So I am good on that. I have not modified the label or anything. 

I dont break law, follow what a good ebayer seller should do.

But this is so wrong, how can they just take my item? Claim I did something illegal? Make me lose a sale? I  probably lost this customer for life. I am pretty this is making my business look bad. I did nothing wrong.

What should I do at this point? There should be some recourse for the postal office for doing this!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Help! Seized by Law Enforcement for Counterfeit Postage

Did you save a PDF download of the label when you purchased it @the_tackle_bay?

At minimum you should take a screenshot of this page showing the tracking number and that it was purchased through eBay. You should also take a screenshot of the order details page because that will show the tracking number, carrier and price you paid. You might even want to take a screenshot of your payment transaction (from however you paid - eBay pending funds, PayPal, etc).

Take all those screenshots and find a way to submit a complaint through the USPS OIG (LINK).

Was the package insured?

Please keep us posted on what happens.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I would have the USPS eat crow

this is an unusual post and its get my vote for best question of the month

was this a domestic package

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

That is a new one. You must contact the local post office and call the toll free number. Don't waste a minute.  

I thought this was about having bought counterfeit stamps

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

If it were me I'd be printing out the proof of the transaction and purchasing the postage from eBay and getting down to my local post office.

This is a new one for me in my 20 something years of doing this. Any chance you mistakenly printed the same label twice? I've done that before in the past. had my roll of labels run out mid print and  I accidentally printed the same label twice and shipped two orders to the same customer. One made it and the other was returned as invalid postage. I wonder if this could that? An honest mistake?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

"returned as invalid postage" That seems more likely, then seized by law enforcement. What law enforcement? Wouldn't the be something handled internally with the Post Office or FBI?

I was thinking fake stamps too. 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

If anything, your package should have been marked as "insufficient postage" and sent back to you,

not seized. As if it had no postage on it at all. Something fishy is going on. 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I am not a seller, but this exact thing just happened to me as a buyer from an item sent from China. Also happened on 4-27-22 but perhaps that is just coincidence. FWIW, I’ve purchased from this seller before without issue and they can’t figure out what happened either. Like someone said above, wouldn’t it just be insufficient postage and not “seized.” What a joke USPS. 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Wonder if we will see more of these in the near future with people using ebay shipping? Really makes you wonder if ebay is doing something shady here even if this is an innocent mistake by an overworked postal employee that thinks they  are onto something ? 

Insufficient postage is totally different than counterfeit postage.  Insufficient postage is hard to tell if done on purpose or not and just basicly is what it says and gets delivered back to you or finished sent on postage due depending where it is in the shipping when it is caught.  Very hard to tell if done on purpose or not. 

But using counterfeit postage in some cases is trying to hide you are cheating the post office out of their funds by using phony postage to conceal it.  Easier to prove with the phony postage on it versus did the sender just forget to add postage on insufficent packages? Counterfeit postage is actually a crime and carries up to a 5 year prison sentence while insufficent is just a hand slap telling you please be more careful next time. 

Notice I said some cases above and there is always exceptions.  The kicker here is ebay supplied the shipping label so this should leave all sellers off the hook that prints from them. Make sure to keep all records so you can show Johnny law proof you are not the bad guy here, ebay is. 

Again I just wonder if this is just an isolated incident that was done by a  postal worker trying to get up the ladder faster or if  it is more widespread and we will here more about it in the near future when ebay needs to answer to the feds about why they haven't paid the post office when ebay was reimbursed by the sellers already or if it is something in between. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Can you got to a different computer with a different internet connection, like a friend or family member? Go to USPS.com and enter the tracking number from eBay to see if you get the same message.

This is just to make sure you are not being scammed. Not saying you are, but it does not hurt to check.

If the package is indeed seized I am sure Law Enforcement will be wanting to talk to you.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Any updates? 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Yeah, this is a weird one. I'd love an update from @the_tackle_bay.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@ivieso

Did you get this sorted out?

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Looks like the OP sold something on March 11th, so guess they figured it out. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Sorry forgot to update.

I called USPS and they were less than willing to tell me anything and told me law enforcement will be contacting me. Made me look like a criminal. Held my package and then finally delivered it.

Well, I did nothing wrong. Been on ebay for over 20 years.  I have pretty much been through it all. 

eBay is still great marketplace.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply