cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx ship label scam on eBay 01-29-2021

Well, we now have to stop using FedEx shipping labels generated through eBay. I just checked our eBay invoice this morning and eBay just billed our account $26.89 for a 7 pound package going from us, just North of Tampa, FL to Miami, FL via FedEx ground. It was a fairly light laptop computer and our HIGHLY accurate scale weighed the package at 6lbs 7ozs, so we put the package weight at 7lbs when we generated the FedEx shipping label on eBay, it said the label cost was $8.87. Sounds about right for such a short distance. Well, scam alert... FedEx weighed the package at 11 POUNDS!!! WAY OFF! And again, YES, our scale has always been VERY accurate and it couldn't have been off by 4 pounds - maybe an ounce off but not 4 pounds! 

And before you ask... "Why don't you just have FedEx weigh the package when you drop it off at their local dropoff site so that they can print out a receipt of it"? It's because FedEx REFUSES to weigh the package. They absolutely will not do it she said. It will be weighed at the FedEx Distribution Center in Tampa. So I told the FedEx lady... "So I will have no proof of how much the box actually weighs if your distribution center mis-weighs the box"?? She said, "That's right".

SCAM ALERT!! BING BING BING, SCAM ALERT!!

FedEx and eBay have done this to us many times now. WAY, WAY overcharging us for the FedEx shipping label and we have to manually check our eBay invoice every day to see what eBay/FedEx has charged us. And then we have to fight eBay to get a refund for the overcharge. We're done with FedEx shipping labels. We'll be forced to get only USPS labels.

This IS truly a scam. Because this happens a LOT and we're always overcharged. There's NEVER a refund because we've paid to much for a FedEx shipping label. With modern technology, eBay/FedEx should have figured out how to give accurate ship costs many years ago! And FedEx needs to figure out how to fix their scales at their Distribution Centers. Because 40% of the time they (FedEx) weighs the package and it's WAY off! Last month, FedEx weighed 2 of our packages at 15lbs each. The actual weight of each box was... 7.2lbs and 8.1lbs!!! Not even close FedEx!

And we are not setting up a FedEx account and ship directly through FedEx's website. Our labels must be generated by eBay.

This truly is one of the biggest overcharge scams I've ever seen. Can you imagine thousands or tens of thousands of eBay/FedEx ship labels and the overcharges not caught and then paid for.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: FedEx ship label scam on eBay 01-29-2021

Be aware reps agree with you 99% of the time...so it really means nothing. 

The issue that I dont get it if you enter 7 lbs and fedex charges you at 11 lbs... that difference is a few dollars. For you to get a higher charge something else is up. 

You need to carefully look or display here what the charge states. Size and if its home delivery no fedex package ships that cheap. If ground to a business I find that also highly unlikely for 7 lbs ground to ship for $9, even if in same state. 

I've been using fedex for 20 yrs and no issues so its perplexing on what is happening on ebay and these seller complaints. I used to use my own account but for many years now use ebays often.

Even when I play around with fedex rates for a 1st class package for sh*ts and giggles to see what these complaints are about I still dont get these low estimates. Its baffling and at times when I get more info and analyze it fedex charges are correct. 

As you say tho the estimate is the issue. Go to fedex site and take 30 seconds to confirm what you are seeing on ebay.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

@tedsch ... it's probably a FedEx overcharge. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of eBay users have been complaining to eBay/FedEx about their CONSTANT overcharges for more than 7 years and still they do NOTHING about it. And now you will get eBay posters here saying... YOU must be at fault for not weighing the package properly or not measuring the boxes dimension correctly. NO, not true. We had to stop using FedEx, on eBay, because every month they were overcharging us HUGE amounts on multiple packages. We would TRIPLE check the packages and still FedEx would mis-weigh them or mis-measure the box dimensions at FedEx's distribution centers. Here are 3 examples of packages we sent out previously, actual weights of boxes... 6.7lbs, 7.2lbs, 8.1lbs. And here is FedEx's weight for those same 3 boxes... 11lbs, 15lbs, 15lbs. !!!! HUGE overcharge, overcharge, overcharge on all 3 boxes. FedEx/eBay CONSTANTLY do this to EVERYONE here on ebay EVERY month. This is not an isolated incidence.

The only thing you can do is have eBay Customer Service call you (you can't call them directly anymore) and dispute the FedEx shipping charge through eBay. It takes over 60 days for EACH shipping charge dispute to be settled and FedEx can always say "NO" there was no overcharge and simply refuse to refund the SCAM overage charge. Then you're stuck. Not much you can do.

Another fun fact... The only way to find out if the FedEx shipping dispute has been settled is to keep calling eBay Customer Support and ask them, "Has it been settled yet".  Also, eBay will REQUIRE you to pay for that shipping overage charge on your invoice. eBay won't put the shipping charge on "HOLD" (like they should) until the dispute has been settled. So you must pay the ship overage charge on your invoice... then 60+ days later you "MIGHT" get a credit for the disputed shipping overage charge.  Argh!!!

It really is a huge eBay/FedEx SCAM that's been going on now for over 7 years and eBay refuses to fix the problem.

At least eBay could do the honorable and honest thing and dump FedEx as a shipping partner until FedEx agrees to stop scamming thousands and thousands and thousands of eBay shippers. Imagine over 7 years of this problem and all the $$Shipping overcharge$$ money FedEx has scammed people out of. 

Because unless you specifically look at your invoice and see what FedEx has actually charged you for the ship label, then people just pay their invoice without even realizing they've been overcharged for the label. And the FedEx label charge appears on everyone's invoice more than 30 days AFTER you've printed/used the shipping label. And when the shipping label cost does finally appear on your invoice 30+ days later... eBay won't send you an email saying, "Warning! FedEx has charged you more than the shipping label estimate. Shipping label estimate, when you printed it on eBay was $8.87... Actual FedEx charge for that label was $26.89".

BING BING BING!! SCAM ALERT!!

This FedEx ship label scam could have been fixed MANY years ago!!

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of eBay users have been complaining to eBay/FedEx about their CONSTANT overcharges for more than 7 years and still they do NOTHING about it. And now you will get eBay posters here saying... YOU must be at fault for not weighing the package properly or not measuring the boxes dimension correctly. NO, not true. We had to stop using FedEx, on eBay, because every month they were overcharging us HUGE amounts on multiple packages. We would TRIPLE check the packages and still FedEx would mis-weigh them or mis-measure the box dimensions at FedEx's distribution centers. Here are 3 examples of packages we sent out previously, actual weights of boxes... 6.7lbs, 7.2lbs, 8.1lbs. And here is FedEx's weight for those same 3 boxes... 11lbs, 15lbs, 15lbs. !!!! HUGE overcharge, overcharge, overcharge on all 3 boxes. FedEx/eBay CONSTANTLY do this to EVERYONE here on ebay EVERY month. This is not an isolated incidence.

The only thing you can do is have eBay Customer Service call you (you can't call them directly anymore) and dispute the FedEx shipping charge through eBay. It takes over 60 days for EACH shipping charge dispute to be settled and FedEx can always say "NO" there was no overcharge and simply refuse to refund the SCAM overage charge. Then you're stuck. Not much you can do.

Another fun fact... The only way to find out if the FedEx shipping dispute has been settled is to keep calling eBay Customer Support and ask them, "Has it been settled yet".  Also, eBay will REQUIRE you to pay for that shipping overage charge on your invoice. eBay won't put the shipping charge on "HOLD" (like they should) until the dispute has been settled. So you must pay the ship overage charge on your invoice... then 60+ days later you "MIGHT" get a credit for the disputed shipping overage charge.  Argh!!!

It really is a huge eBay/FedEx SCAM that's been going on now for over 7 years and eBay refuses to fix the problem.

At least eBay could do the honorable and honest thing and dump FedEx as a shipping partner until FedEx agrees to stop scamming thousands and thousands and thousands of eBay shippers. Imagine over 7 years of this problem and all the $$Shipping overcharge$$ money FedEx has scammed people out of. 

Because unless you specifically look at your invoice and see what FedEx has actually charged you for the ship label, then people just pay their invoice without even realizing they've been overcharged for the label. And the FedEx label charge appears on everyone's invoice more than 30 days AFTER you've printed/used the shipping label. And when the shipping label cost does finally appear on your invoice 30+ days later... eBay won't send you an email saying, "Warning! FedEx has charged you more than the shipping label estimate. Shipping label estimate, when you printed it on eBay was $8.87... Actual FedEx charge for that label was $26.89".

BING BING BING!! SCAM ALERT!!

This FedEx ship label scam could have been fixed many, many years ago!!

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

You are repeating over and over the same thing. Again I don't get it. I repeat ldo I use fedex. I understand charges. BEFORE I ship. Unless you display what the invoice is giving you we cant help explain why you may, and I repeat may, be getting charged correctly. Those estimates for 7 lbs are too low from the get go. There are reasons for how they charge and sellers are best to learn them or Not use fedex as you state. Why would you do this over and over as you say. That's called insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

Even better is why dont you use fedex website to know what you're being charged? BEFORE SHIPPING. Especially if they are rounding up to 15 lbs 2x on a charge for  laptop. See what the exact charges are. It's not the weight or scales that are causing the higher price. It's how they calculate the total. It's not like USPS. Total different ball game. As an outsider using fedex for 20 yrs your charges appear correct from what you say. Show an example and it can be explained. 

I'm not saying there cant be mistakes but 7 lbs for $9 is pretty dirt cheap if that's the estimate. 

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@pooh333piglet ... Mr. Piglet, so all these thousands and thousands of complaints about eBay/FedEx overcharges for the past seven years... all of us are wrong and you are right.  It must be nice to think you're always right Mr. Piglet and all the rest of us are wrong. The point is...

1) Why should we HAVE to set an external FedEx account? It should work properly EVERY single time from within eBay.

2) No, you are WRONG again Piglet (you seem to think you know everything about every situation)... We were NOT doing this FedEx shipping thing over and over again (insanity???) as you say. We had been using FedEx for over a year thinking that there was no problem until we read in an eBay forum that people should check their past eBay invoices because FedEx overcharges about 40% of the time. So we checked our past invoices and WOW, HOLY **bleep**!! We were shocked at all the FedEx overcharges. It's then that we dropped FedEx, on eBay, and tried to recover some of those FedEx shipping label charges. We got all of the overcharges back finally from eBay. FedEx admitted they were wrong. BUT we could only go back 3 months and only got those overcharge $AMTs$ back. There were tons more before that 3 months.

3) And finally KNOW IT ALL @pooh333piglet ... The 6.7lbs package, that we entered into the eBay label print web site as 7lbs, was mis-weighed by FedEx at their distribution center in Tampa as 11 pounds!! WAY OFF!! Not even close! The package, 7lbs, was in a small box traveling a short distance from just North of Tampa, FL to the Miami, FL are via FedEx ground. $8.87 is the correct price for that distance. USPS charges $8.90 for the same thing. FedEx charged us $26.89 on our eBay invoice. SCAM!!!!!!!!

SCAM!! SCAM!! SCAM!!

FedEx is trying to see what they can get away with. This has happened many, many, many times to us and to thousands and thousands of other eBAY users.

I repeat... EBAY, drop FedEx as a shipping partner OR FIX THIS PROBLEM!!

But Pooh333Piglet is a Sales Rep for FedEx obviously and thinks he knows everything and is going to defend FedEx to his dying breath and the rest of us are stupid morons according to Pooh333PIGlet.

Again, EBAY FIX THE FEDEX SHIP LABEL OVERAGE CHARGE PROBLEM!! It's been happening for over 7 years. FIX IT or DROP FEDEX!

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Well, we'll leave this forum now. @pooh333piglet  Mr. Piggy know it all seems to think he knows everything about every situation.

1) Why on earth should thousands and thousands of eBay users be forced to set up an external FedEx account Mr. Piggy?? The eBay FedEx shipping label should work right every time or eBay... Drop FedEx as a shipping partner!

2) Insanity?? Boy, you seem to think you know everything don't you? We were NOT doing this over and over again Mr. pooh333piglet know-it-all. What happened was... We had been using FedEx (and USPS to) for over a year and then we read a post on an eBay forum saying everyone should check their past eBay invoices because FedEx over charges about 30% of the time. So we checked our past eBay invoices and HOLY *****, were we surprised - TONS of overcharges by FedEfx!! It's THEN that we stopped using FedEx through eBay.

3) A 6.7 pound package, which we entered into the eBay shipping label print web site as 7 pounds (just to be safe, we ALWAYS round up), was then weighed at the FedEx Distribution Center in Tampa, FL as 11 pounds. NOT EVEN CLOSE!! And the small package was going from just North of Tampa, FL to the Miami, FL area. $8.87 is the proper amount... and FedEx charged us $26.89!!!

SCAM!!! SCAM!! It's FedEx trying to see what they can get away with and if the eBay user will catch it.  It's been happening for over 7 years.

BUT HEY @pooh333piglet knows everything about every situation. He's the GOD of everything. All knowing and all powerful. I guess all the rest of us who have gone through this SCAM should just bow before @pooh333piglet because he's gonna tell you how wrong you are and how right he is.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

I believe it is entirely possible for Fed Ex To make a mistake like this on your shipment. If the Ebay rep saw what you entered into the equation and you should have billed that much then your issue is with FED EX making that mistake and so get them with the help of Ebay to get those fees back to you. 

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

I ship small items in a 9 x 2 x 6 box, weigh less than 1 lb and have not been overcharged yet. I think it’s tricky with them with larger items and getting the dimensions right on the larger boxes, but still, if this is a repeated problem, something is off.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Except fedex is not going to refund and the boxes are not oversized per the seller. Most likely charges are correct.....

Seller needs to learn how to properly ship with fedex as you and I have. Repeated over and over wrong charges....

Hmmm why would fedex be after them for money and not you and I? Not once, not 2x, not 3x but over and over this seller rides the rollercoaster and every time gets back on. 

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Keep blowing off your anger. Its good for you. Then you may try to actually fix your shipping woes.

BTW I'm Ms Pooh. Or Ms Piggy. Either is fine.  Most just say pooh. Or you can say worse with that anger. 

Enjoy your fedex rollercoaster ride. You dont truly want help with figuring it out. You want to play the blame game and mostly complain. So be it. Your money! Lol

Keep on playing and paying. When you want off the ride we will still be here to help and show you how to properly ship fedex. 

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Screenshot_20210131-083944_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210131-084011_Samsung Internet.jpg

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

I just had my first overcharge with Fed Ex. It shows on my shipping data that the label should have cost about 14 dollars. The charge was around 30 bucks. The Ebay rep looked at my account and said it did look WAY off, so this stuff apparently does happen, unless there was some crazy surcharge involved with this, I have no idea why this shipment was twice what the quote was. All of my stuff in under 1lb, and shipped in a 9 x 6 x 2 box. Will see what’s up with this.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

With the numerous surcharges that FED EX has I can see how this stuff can happen with them. Do these surcharges come up documented on your Ebay account so you actually know WHAT you you were charged extra for? I have one now that I have no idea why it cost twice my quoted price.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

The discount we get on Ebay for Fed Ex Express is toooo Good to loose. 

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Ibt you are 100% correct...i just checked my past 3 months shipping label creations  vs invoice chsrge and found 5 fedex and 3 ups that ranged from 50%-150% overcharged.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply