cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx $295.84 shipping label adjustment charge

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sold a computer monitor I wasn't using anymore on eBay a couple weeks ago. Today, I received an email from eBay letting me know about an upcoming charge of $295.84 to my bank account. When I investigated further, I found out that it is because of a shipping label adjustment through FedEx. I used the FedEx label that eBay created for me based on the dimensions of the monitor. When I dropped the screen off at FedEx, they said they would have to use a bigger box and charged me $30 for it. No one mentioned anything to me about additional charges.

When I called eBay customer support, they said they would file a dispute with the carrier but cannot guarantee that the charge will be refunded. I sold the item for $130 and now I'm being charged $295. So I basically lost $165 by selling through eBay. Has something like this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't use fedex but read similar posts almost every day. Do the search, you will find lot of useful advice. Fedex, UPS have several pages of additional charges for every imaginable thing. You need to get the info from Fedex with the breakdown of extra charges. Once you get that, you need to gather the info you have about your package and compare it with what Fedex gave you. If you figure that these charges are not justified, contact the credit card co and dispute the charge.  If fedex doesn't give you the info, contact your CC bank right away and include the fact that Fedex refuses to give you a breakdown of the charges.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You said you used the 'dimensions of the monitor'. I'm guessing that was outside of the box? If I recall correctly, FedEx base their prices on dimensional weight. The dimensions of the actual box being shipped make a huge difference, especially once you cross certain thresholds. As this was a 34 inch monitor, that could well be the case. If you didn't enter the actual dimensions and weight of the boxed item in eBay, then unfortunately eBay cannot accurately calculate the true cost. It's a tough lesson, but it's important to figure out how you are going to ship large items before putting them up on eBay.

You're not alone by the way. This has happened to others. It sucks as the extra charges people get seem to be disproportionate to the extra service received.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous  Can you respond with the Fedex tracking number? I have to get shipping estimates all the time and am curious what those extra charges are for. Especially since you took it to Fedex and they already charged you for the increase in dimensions. Fedex will charge for anything. Over 50 pounds? $24.00. Address correct - $21.00.

I have complained to ebay  that they offer Fedex ground and Fedex home delivery as the same line item and cost. Fedex delivery to a residence is approx. $5.50 addt'l. DAS res (rural) res adds another approx. $5.00. As @martin2001 said,  you should have a good case for a credit card chargeback dispute.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Ebay's role in your problem is they got the bill and are billing you.

Your fundamental error occurred when you assumed your original packaging was adequate.

Your next error was you allow the FEDEX store to repack your item and paid them to repack.

Your next error was to leave the store without knowing what the new larger package would cost.

Assuming the Ebay label had adequate fees for the new package was wrong and more experienced shippers would know that. They would also know not to let the FEDEX or the UPS store pack anything because it is too expensive.

You have had an expensive lesson in shipping.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I’m not sure where to start here.  First, I looked at your shipping in the listing, which offered usps ground advantage and not fedex, and it appeared very low based on what you entered. How did you present it to FedEx? Was it packaged, if so, why did they say it needed a bigger  box?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Today's lesson:

Never use FedEx. Never trust FedEx.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Today's lesson:

@reallynicestamps 

Maybe the lesson should be:  Never use FedEx on eBay.  Take it to the counter and pay cash?  They can't upcharge you CASH after the fact.  

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@martin2001 wrote:

If you figure that these charges are not justified, contact the credit card co and dispute the charge. 

Not sure if that would work?

The OP stated, "upcoming charge of $295.84 to my bank account".  I don't know if there is a way to reverse a withdrawal from a Bank Account.  Maybe a Stop Payment before the withdrawal?  But if this was done you likely would not be doing business with eBay until the dept is paid.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

When I dropped the screen off at FedEx, they said they would have to use a bigger box and charged me $30 for it. No one mentioned anything to me about additional charges.

eBay charged you what FedEx told eBay to charge you based on the information you provided to eBay.

When you and FedEx changed the dimensions, the label you printed on eBay no longer applied to that package. That was not eBay's fault.

You should have removed the eBay label, bought a new label from FedEx, and gone back to eBay later and requested a refund of the unused label.

All that aside ...

When you buy a UPS or FedEx label on eBay, you are agreeing to cover any surcharges that UPS or FedEx decide to charge. That is why I never use UPS or FedEx.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

When I dropped the screen off at FedEx, they said they would have to use a bigger box and charged me $30 for it. No one mentioned anything to me about additional charges.

There have been reports of Monitors not being packaged well enough to withstand FedEx's delivery services.  I am sure this is why they want them double boxed, so they have less insurance claims. 

If the monitor arrived damaged to the buyer, you may have an Insurance Claim and have the entire Delivery Fee Dismissed.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Both FedEx and UPS are infamous for this especially with labels purchased through eBay. There are LONG list for surcharges by both carriers that have nothing to do with the size or weight of the package. I never utilize eBay to purchase shipping labels and I have NEVER used FedEx to ship anything. 

I utilize Pirate Ship to purchase all my labels, they have the same discount rates as eBay, sometimes better but they also provide sender protection against surcharges as long as the dims and weight were correct. They however don't offer FedEx as a carrier service probably due to some of these types of issues.

I always drop my packages with the carrier, with USPS I get the scanned receipt and the dim and weight are checked by the postal officer. With UPS, while I don't ship much through them, I take a form with me that I have the UPS employee sign that basically says the weight and dimensions of the package are correct for the label that was purchased. Following is a link to the FedEx surcharges for 2024. 

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXE_FXG_Surcharges_and_Fees_2024.p... 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Answer: Never use FedEx. Case closed.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Today's lesson:

@reallynicestamps 

Maybe the lesson should be:  Never use FedEx on eBay.  Take it to the counter and pay cash?  They can't upcharge you CASH after the fact.  

Maybe the lesson should be:

Enter correct exterior package dimensions and weight on the listing form before you post an item for sale, then verify they are still correct when you purchase the label.

The problem wasn't using eBay for the FedEx label (this time). It was the seller changing to a larger and heavier package after purchasing the label. Wrong weight/dimensions on the label means you're getting a cost adjustment after the fact - no matter the carrier, no matter where the label is purchased (for the most part). Even if you go to FedEx and pay cash, if the clerk enters wrong weight or dim FedEx will mail a bill to the sender. I've seen it happen.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

IM WORKING ONA LAWSUIT

Message 15 of 18
latest reply